My 1st cruise and this seriously had to happen???

I was pointing out that so people don't give the benefit that they are telling the true. Calling someone a lier is not fair if you can't prove it. But the homeless man in NY stopped a mugging and got stad himself. People saw him laying on the ground but just keeped walking. They just didn't care. And that is sad.

I got what you were trying to say, but I don't think failing to believe everything you read on the internet corresponds very well with walking past a man bleeding to death on the street.

I guess there are a lot of people that seem to work for the lock company that RCCL uses as they seem to know there is NO WAY this could have happened...(like a broken lock)

The general consenus on this thread was that the staff probably used the batteries as an excuse for what happened. It's probable they didn't know how it happened, or there was some sort of mistake with the programming of SeaPass cards on that cruise. It's mere common knowledge of mechanics that dead or weak batteries would not allow any SeaPass card to open the door.

But just to throw in a disclaimer, this is my opnion.

Agreed. That is exactly what I was getting at when I told the Op to keep the situation in perspective, and not embellish it in to a "what if."

Oh good, I was hoping I wasn't the only one!

What if I get the wrong room one night? I'm so far from being a monster, but all it takes is one screaming lady to tell everyone else that I am indeed, SCARY!

I appreciate your two cents - but I'm not some 18 year old kid. My husband and I do a good amount of traveling, well, at least I think we do. I am pretty sure I would know if the door closed and locked behind me. Maintenance changed the batteries in front of me at 3:30am.

and neither am I.

I am an adult with 3 kids and I own my own business, but thanks for thinking I am some dumb kid who doesn't know any better.

That said, at no part of my story did I make any accusations towards you, nor did I comment directly on your situation, I only relayed a similar personal instance of my own and what I learned from it so that others may also learn from it. (Obviously not YOU, because you are FAR OLDER and MORE MATURE, than I)

Paul65 you're right I was off topic alittle, but some people making jokes at the OP story not caring about she just may be telling the true and people just not caring about the man in NY are two different. I was trying to say some people don't think about other peoples feeling. People have brought up good point on both sides. And some people have just been rude. I got nasty last night in my posts! That was wrong of me! Remeber Happy Sailing Everone!!!!!

Yeah. I had sympathy, at first, even though the reasoning seemed odd. Dead batteries don't make this kind of lock default to open.

Oh, but it was just "weak batteries"..... Sorry, but weak batteries don't make the door default to open.

And the manual lock from the inside is not in any way tied into the electronic lock activated by your SeaPass card. Too many bogus details.

Wow, I am far from not believing the OP even though I am the worlds greatest skeptic. That said I am pleased to learn that on some topics that you are not emotionally attached to that you can use your judgement.;). Congratulations.:D

JC

No one can "prove" this didn't happen. And in any event, it's a worthy discussion. Many informative points have been made.

Why not err on the side of common courtesy? If you think this is some grand plot...don't read the thread...don't comment.

I don't believe any REGULAR poster has been authorized to be the official determiner of what is FALSE or true on CC. I really don't understand the point in trying to create doubt about a poster's veracity...when one has absolutely NO WAY of proving a post is false.

It's better to say nothing...silently.

No one can "prove" this didn't happen. And in any event, it's a worthy discussion. Many informative points have been made.

Why not err on the side of common courtesy? If you think this is some grand plot...don't read the thread...don't comment.

I don't believe any REGULAR poster has been authorized to be the official determiner of what is FALSE or true on CC. I really don't understand the point in trying to create doubt about a poster's veracity...when one has absolutely NO WAY of proving a post is false.

Some of us keep the salt shaker handy when reading things on the internet. have you never spotted a troll on this message board??

I am not saying the OP is a troll (don't think so), nor do I completely disbelieve the OP. I think that something probably did happen and was rectified.

But the internet is a bit of The Wild West when it comes to free speech, so you can try all you want to get people to behave the way you'd like. good luck with that.

Now, something partly relevant - I spent some time contracted to Best Lock (now Best Access), the lock people. I tested the Keystone series in the mid-late 90s. THere really is an option of default Unlocked or default Locked. I can tell you that the only cards that will work in any given lock are those programmed for it. Mistakes happen, but it is never the lock's fault, it always does what it should. even with low battery function. my team and I verified that, including removing the battery completely.

if people want to freak out and think this same type of incident could happen to them, then, take along whatever you need to feel safe. Just please don't shoot until you've asked questions and gotten security involved.

Wow, I am far from not believing the OP even though I am the worlds greatest skeptic. That said I am pleased to learn that on some topics that you are not emotionally attached to that you can use your judgement.;). Congratulations.:D

JC

I always use my judgement. I'm an ISTJ type. I don't usually get swayed too much by emotional attachment. And, in this case, I don't necessarily think the OP was lying. It could very well be that the incident happened as described, and she truly believes that it was because of weak batteries in the lock.

This just happened to us in Las Vegas. We were staying at the Encore, which is not a shabby place. First, we were sent to a room, which when we opened the door, someone was already occupying the room. In the second room, we found that the door did not close and lock on it's own. We, of course, reported this and it was fixed with no apologies.

Always, always use the dead bolt when you are inside and double check, when you leave the room to make sure the door is locked behind you.

So which one is it Mr. Bond?

It's neither. Not being an expert locksmith like so many on this thread, I took the OP at her word.

Because Royal Caribbean didn't conduct the proper maintenance on the doors and the batteries were dead on the door which gave anyone with any Seapass card access to my room.

If that statement is correct, then your method of checking for it wouldn't work. As said, I know nothing about locks, if one fails to open, I just use that tube of special toothpaste Q gave me and bingo, I'm in my room.:rolleyes:

I'm getting old lol because I remember being on the older ships when you had no safe and we lined up at pursers desk to drop off valuables to be put in boxes in back of pursers desk. Reading the above post reminded me. It was back in the late 80s

Me too. I remember having to go the the Purser's desk everytime I wanted to change my jewellery and it was a royal pain in the patootie.

Me too. I remember having to go the the Purser's desk everytime I wanted to change my jewellery and it was a royal pain in the patootie.

Maybe, but at least you had an excuse to visit with Gopher every once in a while.

I have absolutely no questions when it comes to the fact that the OP did find a person in thier room.

However, I find it odd that the OP and others quickly shoot down any suggestion that it could have been prevented by the OP.

While there could have been an error caused by RCCI, as travelers, we all have to be responsible to ourselves, and use the appropriate caution, no matter how safe we feel. Mechanical locks that activate only from the inside should ALWAYS be used. If your room does not have a safe, you can ask for the front desk to secure your items.

What makes me think the story is embellished/trollish a little is that there was so much contradicting info posted after possibilities were suggested, including the story slightly changing to debunk a poster. Sometimes the facts just ahve to be the facts, and the OP might have wanted to not look like they had any fault. Also curious if the OP had been drinking that night, sometimes that can cloud judgement or interpretation of events.

Sorry it happened, you were compensated for someone getting into your room. They fixed the problem. It was handled professionally as the OP stated, and I think can be considered a fluke more than a reality. We all learned from it. That's what the boards are really here for is to help educate others about cruising.

Every cheerleader is all of a sudden a lock expert. How amusing! Then theyre all so judgemental to boot. When I close my cabin door at night, i dont expect a stranger to join me in a drunken state (That wouldnt be a very good thing for the drunk) regardless if I used the dead bolt or not. Some of you people are truly amazing. Its funny how we sing a different tune when youre the victim. Put your pom poms down for once and have some empathy for something or someone. Its almost sickening at this point.

Every cheerleader is all of a sudden a lock expert. How amusing! Then theyre all so judgemental to boot. When I close my cabin door at night, i dont expect a stranger to join me in a drunken state (That wouldnt be a very good thing for the drunk) regardless if I used the dead bolt or not. Some of you people are truly amazing. Its funny how we sing a different tune when youre the victim. Put your pom poms down for once and have some empathy for something or someone. Its almost sickening at this point.

A little over the top, there. Perhaps you should return to using your empathy in other ways, like telling someone, "maybe your prospective fiance' is not really clostrophobic, but really just wants to get away from you." That's more useful than anything you wrote above.

A little over the top, there. Perhaps you should return to using your empathy in other ways, like telling someone, "maybe your prospective fiance' is not really clostrophobic, but really just wants to get away from you." That's more useful than anything you wrote above.

I dont take anything you say seriously, "Mr. I'll sleep in the cabin of someone elses blood stained sheets."

Talking about over the top, Please :rolleyes:

I dont take anything you say seriously, "Mr. I'll sleep in the cabin of someone elses blood stained sheets."

Talking about over the top, Please :rolleyes:

LOL :D

Yeah, I wish I'd never ventured on that thread, because of the way my comments have been so infamously twisted.

I just need to say one thing and I truly hope that this ends this entire thread...your responses, although disheartening and a little rude, have no bearing on me and my life.

My intention in writing this was not to be called a liar, or a troll, or greedy (windfall? seriously?) but rather say - hey, this happened to me, be careful- Regarding compensation I meant for it to come out as "Hey, my parents came back from Florida and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

There were a lot of women on my cruise and A LOT of young kids on their senior trip. The situation could have been worse and that is why I feel Royal Caribbean did not take this as seriously as I did. I do not blame the guy because he genuinely thought my room was his room.

Take this the way you want, I truly could not care less. My hope is that one of you is able to learn from what I experienced.

As opposed to saying nothing loudly?

Sorry, this thread needed a little levity.:)

I would have been shaken up by what happened. Also would have called security.

Then I would have accepted the ship's apology, happily spent my $50 OBC, thanked God that nothing worse happened, said a prayer for the poor drunk who soiled himself after hearing my screams, and moved on. YMMV.:p

So sorry to hear that this happened to you. Considering that this was your first cruise, it more than likely placed a bad impression on you. I am glad that they gave you a little something for your trouble....at least on the bright side you didn't have anything happen to you, but I wouldn't want to be in that situation...that would totally freak me out. Happy future cruising!

Royal Caribbean is 100% at fault. Just because you didn't use your dead bolt and just because batteries do fail, this doesn't mean RC gets a free pass. They have ultimate liability for this gross invasion of your privacy. You have every right to be upset that your security -- and your sense of security -- was compromised.

I'd write the company. Seriously.

PS: I'm an insurance liability underwriter.

I agree with everything you've said. I'm just not sure that RCI's liability is all that great since no physical (or, it appears, lasting emotional) harm was done, other than to the intruder's trousers.

Well, my husband is a light sleeper and woke up when the guy turned the light on. I woke up from the commotion and saw a man standing there and immediately started screaming bloody murder. (and no one heard me which scares me a little). I felt bad because the man relieved himself when I started screaming. I couldn't stop shaking....I called Guest Relations and security came down.

I'm afraid that people don't want to get involved in other people's troubles anymore. It's been that way for a long time. I'd be scared about that too - at least somebody could have taken the time to call security (and perhaps they did, but couldn't pinpoint your location - there's no real way to know that).

As an aside, I've always found security on Monarch to be exceptionally vigilant. I've been up late chatting with fellow cruisers and they've come by just to see how we're doing, plus they shadowed us as we went to our respective rooms in the wee hours.

I thought a future cruise discount or something to encourage me to sail with them again would have been just.

I guess the question is how much would be "enough" encouragement. I still think $50 was plenty, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I do hope you'll give cruising another chance, whether on RCI or another line. As a few have said, your door lock could have failed anywhere, so don't let that deter you from future travel. :)

Archived