DIY - Delos

vgarcia1020

• 2 weeks later...

To bootstrap -- I'd appreciate specific information about catching the ferry (where, when, fare, how to pay the fare)! I'm herding a group of six "hens" -- and it is a LOT easier when I know a little bit about what to do!:)

Hello

.. we did Delos on our own.( in early May). You get a good map at the entrance.There are 3 routes talking different times. Of course we didn't know this till after and just ambled around. It was all pretty awesome and soon I will look up stuff on the internet to read about what it was I actually saw.

To bootstrap -- I'd appreciate specific information about catching the ferry (where, when, fare, how to pay the fare)! I'm herding a group of six "hens" -- and it is a LOT easier when I know a little bit about what to do!:)

We took the 10.am Ferry and returned on the 12.30 . I believe there was a 1.30 and a 2.30 back. They may have had earlier ferrys over.

It was 15 euro return. These were the Unguided tours. Tickets to the site were 5 euros each. You get a good map with different coloured tours. A lot of it is quite flat and easy to walk.

There will be ferries sitting a the dock on your return and you just hop on one. It's a great little ride and you can admire the windmills on Mykonos.

We took the 10.am Ferry and returned on the 12.30 . I believe there was a 1.30 and a 2.30 back. They may have had earlier ferrys over.

It was 15 euro return. These were the Unguided tours. Tickets to the site were 5 euros each. You get a good map with different coloured tours. A lot of it is quite flat and easy to walk.

There will be ferries sitting a the dock on your return and you just hop on one. It's a great little ride and you can admire the windmills on Mykonos.

Thank you for your kind attention!

Is there a ferry schedule someplace -- we dock at 7 AM -- and could "conceivably" get to Delos earlier (cooler??:))

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if the ferry to Delos operates in November? I would rather do this on my own, but am wondering if the only option is going to be the ship's tour.

The ferry does operate in November (at least it did when I was there several years ago in mid-November), but the schedule is more limited than in the summer season. I wasn't able to use it as our ship didn't dock in Mykonos until noon.

Thank you for your kind attention!

Is there a ferry schedule someplace -- we dock at 7 AM -- and could "conceivably" get to Delos earlier (cooler??:))

In high season, ferries leave Mykonos for Delos at 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00 am and return ferries leave Delos at 12:15, 1:30, and 3:00 pm. Your fare (15 euro the last time I checked) includes the ferry and return trip as well as the museum on the island.

I would definitely recommend trying to do it on your own but also maybe taking the service of a guide for at least an "overview" of what you are going to see. Delos is such a very fascinating place with history from Greek classical through Roman times and many of the ruins span the same long timespan.

Would recommend trying to get up at least some of the way on the path up Mt. Kythnos and also leaving time for the museum which is very interesting.

The ferry does operate in November (at least it did when I was there several years ago in mid-November), but the schedule is more limited than in the summer season. I wasn't able to use it as our ship didn't dock in Mykonos until noon.

Hi Cynthia, How is the schedule more limited in November? I have been searching all over the place for a schedule and I keep running into one generic schedule. I have not been able to see high and low season. I know weather can be an issue in November, but I imagine with a 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. port day we should be able to do it on our own no matter what the schedule. What do you think? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

FYI...Archeological sites in Greece are closed on Mondays, so, if anyone happens to be stopping at Mykonos on a Monday, and wishes to visit Delos (it is fantastic!), then the only way is through a ship's tour....this was the case with us a couple of weeks ago. The downside is that the museum is closed, and you must do it via a ship's tour (time constraints, lowest common denominator and all that), but the upside is that there's nobody else there....no crowds (other than your fellow passengers).

Kevin

Archived