Timing of Notification for Cancelled Cruise Due to Illness

cubswin73

My family and I have our 1st cruise booked for June 2010. We have insurance through Princess. Unfortunately my wife has cancer that has recently recurred. At this time we do not know if we will be able to make the cruise or not. As she gets treatments over the next several weeks we will know if she can make the cruise or not. The problem is we do not want to cancel if we get the go ahead to go from the oncologist, but we will not know until shortly before the cruise. Does anyone have any information on the timing of when the insurer needs to be informed of cancellation in a case like this? Can it be a very last minute communication? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you still might go, and your doctor agrees, then you are fine. You do not have to cancel or notify anyone until your doctor tells you not to go. Just keep the doctor informed of your plans so they know to TELL you if they are going to not let you go. Most are pretty good about it.

With Princess insurance, you also have that any-reason option; it does not pay in cash, but you get cruise credit, and you can use that up to I think 24 hours before. Might be 48? Check your policy.

Thanks for the responses, they are helpful. My parents actually booked the trip and bought the policies so I will have to see if they have copies of them. We still don't know if we can go but should know in a week or two. We are looking into the possibility of altering the timing of the chemo regimen (with doctor approval of course) or potentially doing a treatment at a hospital in Juneau on a port day. Not the best way to spend a port day but better than not going at all. If we can not go and use the cancel for any reason provision do you know if the credit is transferable to another family member under these types of circumstances (i.e. we may never be able to use the credit). Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

in the same mess

CANCER

HAVE CARNIVAL CRUISE BKED FOR SEPT.......NO TREATMENT WAS PLANNED WHEN TRIPPED WAS BKED NOW IN TREATMENT

my husband wants to still go.......if I cancel........what will b the $$$$ amt for him?

we have insurance pre excisting etc.

is it better to cancel mine at last minute?

and will he b charged full price for one?

canser sucks

in the same mess

CANCER

HAVE CARNIVAL CRUISE BKED FOR SEPT.......NO TREATMENT WAS PLANNED WHEN TRIPPED WAS BKED NOW IN TREATMENT

my husband wants to still go.......if I cancel........what will b the $$$$ amt for him?

we have insurance pre excisting etc.

is it better to cancel mine at last minute?

and will he b charged full price for one?

canser sucks

When it comes to getting reimbursed, it's never better for your claim to cancel at the last minute if you know now you can't go. The insurance company requires you, as a condition of payment, to try and minimize your damages. If you are sure you can't go, and waiting to the last minute subjects to a 100% penalty, while canceling now would only subject you to just losing your deposit, you may find the payout limited to just the deposit amount if you wait to cancel.

Before canceling, make sure to get a dated note from your doctor specifically stating he recommends you not go on your trip. This will help out the claims process hugely.

SirWired

Archived