South America

Has anyone done the cruise from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires? Is it as spectacular as it sounds? Can you compare it to anything, perhaps Alaska?

Thanks.

DH and I have signed up for the Jan 6, 2011 sailing from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso, and the roll call thread includes some who have made the trip before as well as some booked for other cruise dates, same itinerary.

There are also reviews from those who have taken the trip posted in that forum, as well as some discussion in the "South America" destination forum.

It does sound spectacular, which is why we signed up. Also, the upcoming 2010 - 2011 season will possibly be the last for the bigger ships, as regulations change in August 2011 to encourage only those ships with fewer than 500 passengers.

I've done both Buenos Aires to Santiago and Rio to Santiago (the latter going to Antarctica as well.) If you don't go to Antarctica, it's a great cruise but not as spectacular scenery-wise as Alaska. Going on the itinerary that includes Antarctica is nothing less than an incredible experience that is beyond anywhere else, including Alaska, New Zealand and Norway.

Just make sure you visit Antarctica before the ban on larger ships (over 500 pax) being introduced in the summer of 2011. It's the nearest I think you will ever get to heaven on this earth. It's a must.

I wrote a daily blog on our recent Jan-March 2010 Grand Voyage round SA which you might find of interest including some great pictures of the Antarctica.

grandvoyageofsouthamerica@blogspot.com

For us the 'sail by' cruise to Antarctica on the Rotterdam was perfect. If our only choice was to do one where we went ashore we would NOT have gone. We'd planned on returning, but with the ban on large ships we won't.

On our cruise the day we were seeing the Chilean fjords/glaciers there were low clouds. The visibility was pretty pathetic and very few passengers were out on deck viewing. We decided that if we hadn't gone to Antarctica (SPECTACULAR) we would have been very disappointed.

Amsterdam 01/09 20 Days So. America & Antarctica Cruise. I was on the same cruise with "Pam in CA". :DFantastic! Check out the "Review", "Amsterdam", and scroll to 01/09. There's four reviews, similar to what your interested in.

No, I was being sarcastic in response to a question that was none of the inquirer's business.

well, i'll just have to use my imagination, then. apparently you are wanted for a crime there or you were deported and not allowed to return. :p

Archived