Ship time VS Port Time

markmdavis

Sorry if this has been answered, I did try the search function several times and could not find any answers.

I will be sailing on the Valor in a few weeks, this is my first cruise and I am a bit confused as to what time it will be at port ( for excursions, we have them booked and not thru Carnival).

Carnival states we will be in Port as fallows:

Grand Cayman 7:00 am to 4:00 PM

Roatan 11:00 am to 6:00 PM

Belize 8:00 am to 5:00 PM

Cozumel 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

Any one if these are "ship" times or local times. If its ship times anyone know what the local times will be?

If you booked independently, just confirm with your tour operator what time - SHIP TIME - you should meet them. Every cruise I've been on has been very forthright with telling you to STAY on ship time. I know that isn't always the case, but it has been on all of mine.

The tour operators are well aware of any time differences. Make sure you take your confirmation with you and that it has a contact number for the operator, just in case.

I don't know the time zones, offhand, for the Caribbean. I would guess it would be easy enough to find if you just Google it.

Your itinerary times are "ship" time. And you will be reminded of that each day as you get off the ship in port. As far as your excursion times, I would check with the company that you booked to make sure you are using the same "ship" time or actual time.

Grand Cayman 7:00 am to 4:00 PM 1 hour BEHIND EST

Roatan 11:00 am to 6:00 PM 2 hours BEHIND EST

Belize 8:00 am to 5:00 PM 2 hours BEHIND EST

Cozumel 8:00 am to 5:00 pm 1 hour BEHIND EST?

BUT- an example of Belize-- even if the ship does change time-- that 8am to 5pm is the ships scehdule.

You WILL have ports that are not on the regular ship schedule.

Pay Attention to SHIP TIME-- NOT local time

if the vendor set up a time with local times--- and you arrive at 7 but island time is really 6am?

I see maybe Roata doing that but no other person.

Not all ships change times to reflect island time so it is kind of hard for a vendor to do that.

My family will be on the same cruise in June. The port times are ship time, as others have pointed out. We've made a couple of arrangements for excursion and in each instance the vendor has communicated very clearly the difference between ship time and local time, plus what time we should meet them at.

We've been on 2 Carnival, the Glory and the Liberty. On the Glory in '08, they emphasized that the ship's time never changes. Last fall on the Liberty we changed about 3 times, which was explained that one of our stops was 2 hours different from Florida time so they were trying to be accomodating. In Grand Cayman we saw the StingRays with a private vendor and he said the constant changing of ship's time is to screw with the private vendors. That way the passengers never know what the correct time is.

ALWAYS stay on ship. DO NOT rely on your cell phone clock as the phones change automatically as the times zones change. Take a cheap watch and set to ship time and leave it. I jumped in at Grand Cayman with my watch on. :eek: Use cheap watch! lol Ship will tell you to stay on ship time or not. On the 15 cruises in 4 years we have never done anything but ship time. It could always change :rolleyes:, but they will announce it over and over what for you to do.

Have a great cruise!

Kat

i'm doing the same itinerary and booked all my excursions w private vendors .. i just emailed and continuously asked to make sure that they know the time diff from our ship time :) although i'm still worried .. hehe

Sorry if this has been answered, I did try the search function several times and could not find any answers.

I will be sailing on the Valor in a few weeks, this is my first cruise and I am a bit confused as to what time it will be at port ( for excursions, we have them booked and not thru Carnival).

Grand Cayman 7:00 am to 4:00 PM

Roatan 11:00 am to 6:00 PM

Belize 8:00 am to 5:00 PM

Cozumel 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

Any one if these are "ship" times or local times. If its ship times anyone know what the local times will be?

That is ship time.

Cayman and Cozumel will be 1 hour beind. Belize and Roatan will be 2 hours behind.

Archived