What is the weather lookin like now?

gridswaldtravlers

To be honest, it doesn't really matter how the weather was this past trip (in relation to your trip), and it won't even matter how the weather was the day before your trip. It changes so much that its an hourly forecast!! When we were up there it was sunny one minute then raining the next, rained for 2hrs then cleared up and sunny again. I understand why you are asking and I hope I don't come across rude. I too would love to know what the weather is going to be like, we will be up there in 2wks as well, but it is tough to predicted!!

The weather can litterly change in five minutes. I can for example walk to the end of the drive way which is a mere quarter mile long and get rain, hail and sun in that one walk and thats just going. I live in a differnt part of the State then where your going. But all over the state if you dont like the weather wait five minutes and it can change.

Adri :)

As others said 10 days might as well be next year on the 25th when coming to predicting weather. They use the most powerful supercomputers on earth and still can't predict it. There is truth to the fabel that a butterfly flapping its wings in china could cause " " in alaska :D

For what its worth I go here and look at the extended forecast. Worth doing the day before you leave to see if you really need that rain jacket/paints and boots :eek:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USAK0125

Enjoy your cruise rain or shine!

We are going on the the 25th. Our first one. So fellow Alaskans or Cruisers just getting back. Hows the weather?

Alaska weather is just like the weather we have here in Central Oregon. If you don't like it at the moment, just wait a minute or so. Yesterday morning was 32 at 7 am. Got up to 71 late in the afternoon. A swing of 40 degrees!! That's about what it is on a normal basis here in the summer time. :mad:

I'm in sympathy with the Alaska residents. We share the same storms and poor weather forecasting. :p

The bride and I are going to Alaska on 5/22. Short of wearing levi's all the time, our dress code will be the same as it is in Oregon. :)

There are 4 different family memebers with locations within 6 miles of each other here in the Wasilla area. Some days it is beautiful for all 4, some days c****y for all, but most days it is different wind conditions, temp., and precipitation for each of us. The proximity to lots of mountains and large bodies of water makes the weather very localized.

3 of the last 6 days have been windy, cloudy, cold...the other 3 warm and beautiful. And I'm still waiting for the rain that was forecast:(

There are 4 different family memebers with locations within 6 miles of each other here in the Wasilla area. Some days it is beautiful for all 4, some days c****y for all, but most days it is different wind conditions, temp., and precipitation for each of us. The proximity to lots of mountains and large bodies of water makes the weather very localized.

3 of the last 6 days have been windy, cloudy, cold...the other 3 warm and beautiful. And I'm still waiting for the rain that was forecast:(

I got the rain the other night. Its sunny outside now but still fairly cold. At least from where I am sitting right now. But who knows what it will do in about five minutes. There is an auction at our Naighbors property today. I think they are going to have one once or twice every summer. Its a very big auction with the local Auctioneer doing the announcing. It starts in about ten minutes. Im going to walk the very little bit between our properties and check it out lol :)

Adri

Just back from Alaskan cruise on the Millie from San Diego to Vancouver (14 days) and the weather was gorgeous around 50 or higher every day and sunny, even in Victoria & Vancouver. Whales are around but too early for salmon. Wonderful time of the year to go with the long days. It was one of our best cruises every.

Onttario Cruiser

Looking at the link in one of the above posts, it shows showers every day. Is this usual for May?

What about daylight - I've read various stories about how long there is daylight at different times of the season. Any difference in May or September? Trying to plan 2011!

Looking at the link in one of the above posts, it shows showers every day. Is this usual for May?

What about daylight - I've read various stories about how long there is daylight at different times of the season. Any difference in May or September? Trying to plan 2011!

Huge difference May to September...here's the link to see all sunrise/sunset times and twilight for every port. Just choose Alaska and you can find any of your towns: http://sunrisesunset.com/usa/

If you have equal interest in these two timeframes, then definately pick May. On "average" significantly better. It's dusk by 7pm mid Sept. and the worse potential weather of the season. However, I don't go until mid May, myself. And if you are considering interior Alaska travel with Denali park, then I only recommend a later May Northbound trip.

If you have equal interest in these two timeframes, then definately pick May. On "average" significantly better. It's dusk by 7pm mid Sept. and the worse potential weather of the season. However, I don't go until mid May, myself. And if you are considering interior Alaska travel with Denali park, then I only recommend a later May Northbound trip.

Thanks - we are looking at mid May of 2011 - May 14. Debated back and forth between that and September - I think the May cruise is the way to go. Thanks for the info.

Hours of daylight will be getting longer in May, much shorter in September. Check out this website for specific times for sunrise and sunset for various locations in Alaska for any and every day of the year. http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

Alaska is a vast state and,as you will see if you check out the daylight hours the total number of hours of daylight will vary considerably depending on the particular city or town.:)

Archived