Stashing luggage in Anchorage

paradiselivin1

I will be doing independent land based travel for 11 days prior to my cruise leaving from Whittier (i.e. not a land cruise tour with the ship) in July & wonder if anyone knows where I can store luggage in Anchorage after landing that I will not need while touring. I don't want to drag along more than needed while driving around Alaska. Any suggestions?

Your options are limited and expensive with the luggage check place at the airport in Anchorage being the main opportunity to ditch the stuff. Most of the hotels and motels in Anchorage have given up storing luggage for 'security reasons' but mainly lack of space to do so.

Millions of bags are hauled around Alaska every cruise season and most end up where they are supposed to go, but the odd one that goes missing when checked at a hotel usually ends up causing trouble for all concerned.

Thanks for responding. Sure wish there was a better option as not only don't I want to drag all of this stuff from pillar to post but I worry about the security leaving things in the car while we are hiking, etc. before we are allowed to check in to our place for the night.

I've never had anything go missing in Alaska. I try not to let anything expensive show. If you have a car with a trunk, you should be OK. If you have a car like an SUV with relatively open storage, just don't let a great deal of interesting stuff show.

One of your first stops should be getting a cheapie ice chest and a stock of food and drink items for your travels. Standard Alaska stuff to have in a car or truck as there just isn't a lot of shopping outside of Anchorage other than Wasilla to the north which has some stores and a Walmart.

It is only recently that I've even bothered to lock a car when in Alaska. Of course, you should do so. It is only this century that I've taken the keys with me when I park a car in Alaska.

Your cruise line may have an option for you so far as checking in your baggage early, but that is usually reserved for people on cruise run tours.

I've nearly always left a note in my car when I go off walking telling when I parked the car, where I am going and when I expect to return. Your feelings about doing so may vary. We've had family arguments about doing so as some of the younger folks feel that I leave a chance for someone to follow me. Let's see what the younger folks who post here say about doing that.

Thanks, again, for the reply and tips. I am renting a compact car at the airport and have looked at several of the available models which appear to have no trunk. If I am dragging along my stuff for the cruise, it will be a bit more worthy than my trekking duds for my land based tour. I also expect to have a net book with me which I would hate to lose as I am buying it specifically for this trip.

Unfortunately, there are a few areas where smash and grab has become more common than it used to be. We have never had it happen to us, and we have left vehicles parked for a week or even more. But every summer, there seems to be a flurry someplace. I believe Potters Marsh is a common site. It doesn't happen often, but if it's you it happens to, it doesn't make much difference that it's infrequent.

I keep my most valuable items in my least valuable bags. A grocery store reusable shopping bag can hide a great deal. Also don't leave tourist stuff like coupon books and maps in plain sight. A Milepost is just fine.

Also don't do the 'get out of the car and go around to the trunk' dance when putting away valuables. Plan where things will be long before you park for a while.

I've learned this living in Texas! I've seen many woman do the parking dance with their purses when they think they are smart to put their purses in the car's trunk...in front of everyone.

Makes sense & will try my best to keep anything of interest out of view but sure wish there was an easier solution. I can't imagine that there aren't other people out there looking to do the same thing. There used to be storage lockers in airports & train stations but I guess they are a thing of the past ~ especially with all of the security issues these days.

Check trip advisor.

Thank you for that great suggestion. Found what I was looking for in five minutes. Anyone else having the same question will find that there is a storage area in the airport and can get more information at:

…state.ak.us/anc/…passengerSrvcs.shtml

So much information out there & so little time to find it. Thanks for cutting down my search.

Thank you for that great suggestion. Found what I was looking for in five minutes. Anyone else having the same question will find that there is a storage area in the airport and can get more information at:

So much information out there & so little time to find it. Thanks for cutting down my search.

Wow, this is great info! We are traveling to Denali for 5 days post cruise and with 4 adults in a mid-size car we were wondering how all the luggage would fit. If we could store a couple bags with dirty clothes etc. that we don't need, that would solve the problem. Would appreciate input from anyone who has done this before...can we lock the luggage, how safe is it to leave there for 4-5 days, do we have to schedule storage ahead of time or is there plenty of space to accommodate anyone who might use this service? I definitely wouldn't put valuables in the stored bags, but I also don't want to lose all the great bargain-rack layered clothing I've been shopping so hard for all spring, even if it is dirty! :)

Airport luggage storage was posted in sentence one of post #2. Minimum of $50 per week per bag. AND you still haven't resolved the problem of expensive electronics-Netbook, etc.

You also may want to think about upgrading your car from a compact to a mid size/standard size. Generally only about $30.00 per week more than a compact-larger car, large truck space. That's cheaper than luggage storage and no hassle. The airport place can have very long lines if you hit it on a big fishing week-DH waited last year for almost an hour to get his fish out of storage.

As a general rule, Chryslers (Avis/Budget) and Chevys (National/Enterprise) have HUGE trunks. We have both a Chrysler Concorde (1996) and a Chevy Malibu (2006)-can put 2 26" suitcases, 2 roller carryons and assorted "junk" in the trunk without squashing it in. If you are bidding on Priceline, you have no choice. But if you are actually picking the rental car company, you may want to rethink the compact car choice.

GreatAm, as usual, great to hear from you and that you are OK. I always feel better when I see a new post from you as I know where you travel and how you do so.

Thanks for sticking up for my original post in this thread. I thought that I made it clear that the storage at Ted Stevens Int'l Airport in Anchorage was available, but expensive.

Guess I failed.

Airport luggage storage was posted in sentence one of post #2. Minimum of $50 per week per bag. AND you still haven't resolved the problem of expensive electronics-Netbook, etc. Ouch! Mea culpa...mea culpa. No offense or slight intended, PennyAgain. My mistake for not following through with your original suggestion but was hoping for a cheaper solution which never appeared. Kudos to those of you who get it right the first time & thanks for those of you with patience with those of us who don't ~ that would be me.

You also may want to think about upgrading your car from a compact to a mid size/standard size.

I know that would make sense in some respects but am driving from Anchorage to Homer to Fairbanks. Then back down to Anchorage to drop of my first companion to pick up a second & head back north to Denali before returning to Anchorage. It's not the cost of the rental but the cost of fuel along the way. I understand it is not cheap up there. I may just tote the Netbook with me & perhaps send the cruise luggage with DH as he arrives a week after me.

Thanks again for the tips & forgive the faux pas, PennyAgain. Just trying to hang on while the world spins at warp speed. Some days it's tough to be human..

You could check with ABC rental in Anchorage about renting a car and storing your luggage. We rented a camper from them last year and they stored our luggage for free while we were gone. Everything was there when we got back. Friendly and fast service!! (and I don't work for them).. :)

I know that would make sense in some respects but am driving from Anchorage to Homer to Fairbanks. Then back down to Anchorage to drop of my first companion to pick up a second & head back north to Denali before returning to Anchorage. It's not the cost of the rental but the cost of fuel along the way. I understand it is not cheap up there. I may just tote the Netbook with me & perhaps send the cruise luggage with DH as he arrives a week after me.

Thanks again for the tips & forgive the faux pas, PennyAgain. Just trying to hang on while the world spins at warp speed. Some days it's tough to be human..

That is a ton of Alaska driving. Have a great time.

Archived