Riding the MBTA in Boston -- Please Help Me Get Back To The Ship Before She Sails!!!!

MalibuCA

We will be in Boston on the Crystal Symphony in October, and I am trying to figure out how best to navigate our transportation. We are planning to visit the Museum of Fine Arts in the a.m., Harvard and Cambridge in the p.m., and then, return to the ship. My questions pertain to our return trip to the ship from Cambridge. The ship sails at 5:00 p.m., and we definitely want to be on it when it sails, so timing is of critical importance!

As I see it, we have 3 options:

1) Take the MBTA Red Line to the South Station, then transfer to the Silver SL2 line, which I think is a bus (?), but where we exit the bus and walk to the ship, I cannot seem to figure out.

2) Take the MBTA Red Line to the South Station, then take a taxi from there to the ship. The problem here is that we could hit tons of traffic in the cab.

3) Take the MBTA Red Line to the South Station, transfer to the Green Line, and exit at the Government Center Station. From there we would walk over to Faneuil Hall provided Crystal has a shuttle that transports passengers from Fanueil Hall/Quincey Market to the ship, which many cruise lines seem to do. We would hop on the Crystal shuttle and return easily to the ship.

QUESTIONS:

1. DOES CRYSTAL HAVE A SHUTTLE THAT WE COULD TAKE FROM FANUEIL HALL/QUINCEY MARKET BACK TO THE SHIP? IF YES, WHAT TIME IS THE LAST SHUTTLE PRIOR TO SAILING?

2. DO EITHER OF OPTIONS #1 OR #2 SEEM DOABLE? IF YES, COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET BACK TO THE SHIP?

I recognize that Crystal's shore excursion to Harvard/Cambridge is also an option, but we wanted to combine our afternoon at Harvard with a morning at the Museum of Fine Arts. Certainly the easiest way is to let Crystal take us by the hand and bring us back, but we would prefer to sightsee on our own rather than in a group tour, and we would not have enough time to visit the Museum of Fine Arts if we do the Crystal tour. Yes, we are overnight in Boston, but I have the previous day already filled with The Freedom Trail and the JFK Library!

I appreciate all the help you can provide.

Thanks,

Shelley:confused:

If the ship sails at 5, then most likely you will have to be on board at 4:30. What day of the week will this be? The options you have listed are already in my order of preference. For options 1 and 2 you will have to leave Cambridge by 3:30-3:45 (the earlier time on the weekend, the later time during the week). The connection from the Red Line to the Silver Line is very easy. Get towards the front of the train (3rd car I think). When you get off at South Station, don't go out any exit. Make sure you follow the signs to the Silver Line transfer, which is up 1 flight (escalator or stairs). Take the SL2 to Black Falcon.

A cab from South Station could be faster, but maybe not depending on a lot of factors - traffic, weather, and your ability to quickly find a cab. It will take you time to get out of the Red Line station and find the cab stand at South Station. Even if you wait for the SL2, it will come and it will take you quickly to Black Falcon. The Silver Line buses have a dedicated tunnel to World Trade Center, which enables them to avoid the bulk of the traffic. They are not typical city buses that share the surface roads with cars and trucks.

Option 3 is complicated and takes you out of your way. By the time you get to Government Center and walk to find the Crystal shuttles, you can be at Black Falcon.

• 3 weeks later...

We took the SL2 (Silver Line) from South Station to Black Falcon Pier. It was $2pp. It is a bus, but it leaves from underground. If you are taking the red line into South Station, you don't need to pay again as long as you stay underground (do not exit through the turnstiles. Look for the signs for the silver line). The bus stops right at the cruise terminal. It is very easy and inexpensive to use.

Absolutely do NOT take a taxi in Boston. The MBTA is a phenomenal, efficient public transit system, and the Silver Line is really fun to ride. Option 1 is the best, but be sure to leave at about 3:45pm in order to get back to the ship by 4:30pm.

Have fun! Boston is a Walking City, but the T is just as good!

Archived