Pricess shore excursion from Naples ??

BlueTropics

Has anyone taken the Pricess shore excursion that goes to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. We would kind of like to see all three, but how can you do justice to any of them in just one day?

If you have been on this one do you get any time at all to look around Sorrento? I know they stop for lunch there, but I was wondering if you get any other free time.

Thnaks

Has anyone taken the Pricess shore excursion that goes to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. We would kind of like to see all three, but how can you do justice to any of them in just one day?

The short answer is that you can't, which you already suspect by the way you wrote your question.

However, many people are content with a short overview or introduction, and for them these excursions are perfectly fine.

Capri really requires your entire day, in my opinion, because you use up so much time getting there and getting back. However, you could also pick either Pompei OR Sorrento and combine that one with an afternoon on Capri.

Or you could forget Capri and divide your time between Pompei and Sorrento.

Any of the two-stop options can be easily accomplished on your own. The three-stop option probably is better done on an excursion.

I did this excursion on my first cruise stop in Naples, but from Royal Caribbean. I would think it would be very similar to Princess' version. In hindsight I consider the Pompeii portion to have been adequate. I consider the Capri leg to have been less than desired. And I consider the Sorrento stop to be nothing more than lunch. In Sorrento, we ate a restaurant as a group and that always takes longer than I would desire. Then we have maybe 30-45 minutes to explore on our own. Not really enough to make much of a dent. Capri was OK in that I got to see some of the good views and to walk around a little bit, but there was not enough time to go all the way to the top. We probably spent a little more than 2 hours in Pompeii, which is almost enough time for a well guided tour. We didn't have time to go to the Amphitheatre, but saw a good sampling of the rest. I have since been back to Naples a second time and enjoyed another 4 hours at Pompeii to see it again and to explore the rest. If you don't mind drive-by sightseeing, the 3-stop excursion lets you taste a lot. I probably will not do such tours again, however.

My husband and I took the Princess excursion you referred to. Agreed that it's not the best way to fully explore any of the options but as this was our first trip to the area, and Europe, our objective was to see as much as we could. We were happy with our choice. Capri is beautiful. Lunch in Sorrento was OK and we had just a bit of time to explore on our own. Most of the stores were closed at that time of day yet we still enjoyed having the opportunity to get a better sense of what that city is about. Initially, we were leaning toward a tour that didn't include Pompei, but friends advised not missing it so modified our plans and glad we took their advice. On our drive back to Naples, there was also a stop at a cameo factory. Would have much rather preferred that wasn't included in the itinerary and for that amount of time to be used in either Capri or Sorrento. Perhaps Princess has made an adjustment since we took the tour.

Thanks, for the responses. The Pricess excursion now takes a jet boat back to Naples from Capri. It sounds like they still stop sometime at the cameo factory - too bad.

Was the time you had in Pompeii about two hours?

What is the price for the Princess excursion / per person? You should seriously consider private or DIY. 1/2 day DIY for Pompeii followed by simlar DIY. I don't think Princess has chartered a private jet boat, I could be wrong, but I believe their are both fast and slow ferries avaiable to the general public as weill for DIY that gets exactly the same thing but for less than the princess tour.

Good luck planning!

Thanks, for the responses. The Pricess excursion now takes a jet boat back to Naples from Capri. It sounds like they still stop sometime at the cameo factory - too bad.

Was the time you had in Pompeii about two hours?

Archived