Ketchikan Excursions 6am Till 12pm

katscruise

Hey katscruise we are on the same sailing!!

We were wondering this same thing- it seems so eairly and short of a time to be there... A friend of mine told me that this is a good place for the nature lovers (and I am one of them)-- he said that kyaking here is very nice... we were looking at the ones thru the ship-- and don't know which is better... any ideas from anyone?

Clover Passage (89pp)or Tatoosh Islands Kayak Adventure (125pp)

We liked the idea of the serene water, glacier in the background, lots of sea life, and birds etc.... we saw some pictures of one like this- but don't know where or what port it was in...

We are also open to any other "must-do's" here- but prefer they be active... and we are also interested in booking w/locals rather than thru the ship if anyone has any good advice?

Check out Southeast kayaks. They offer an excellent tour. http://www.kayakketchikan.com/

Be CERTAIN to tell them your port hours and go with their recommendation for tour times.

Look over your shore excursion list and narrow down your interests, plenty of excellent touring in Ketchikan.

Thanks BudgetQueen- I was looking at the website- do you know the pros and cons of their different tours? Which one did you do? They have a longer to Orca Cove, and a shorter " Pennock Paddling" .... On the Orca Cove it sounds like you have a better chance to see whales (which I would really like) and on the Pennock- it sounds like you stay near the pier and see eagles (which I would also like).... Do you have an opinion on which is better? Do you know if I could see both whales and eagles on one trip? Also- they earilest they leave is 7am- being back at 11pm.... we have to board by 12 to leave by 12:30- do you know if they are usually known to be on time? I mean... they would have to be an hour late for us to miss it..... what do you think?

Thanks for all your help- it sounds like you really know Alaska!

We did their orca cove tour and loved it. Lots of people here recommend it as well. Don't count on seeing whales during any kayaking around Ketchikan. They are exceedingly rare sights, but I suppose you at least have a shot on the orca cove tour. You will likely see bald eagles on both trips. We had 2 hanging out on a log around a beach ... they stood still long enough for us to paddle up to them and watch for a while and then they took flight (which was amazing to watch). We also had them flying above us and swooping down for salmon and we saw an eagle's nest. Orca cove is great because it is secluded. It takes you away from town to a place where you'll only see the guide and group (of no more than 6 people)...just you, salmon jumping all around (dependent on time of year) and the eagles.

This is a solid operator and they're great people. Talk to them about your time constraints and they will advise you.

Thanks BudgetQueen- I was looking at the website- do you know the pros and cons of their different tours? Which one did you do? They have a longer to Orca Cove, and a shorter " Pennock Paddling" .... On the Orca Cove it sounds like you have a better chance to see whales (which I would really like) and on the Pennock- it sounds like you stay near the pier and see eagles (which I would also like).... Do you have an opinion on which is better? Do you know if I could see both whales and eagles on one trip? Also- they earilest they leave is 7am- being back at 11pm.... we have to board by 12 to leave by 12:30- do you know if they are usually known to be on time? I mean... they would have to be an hour late for us to miss it..... what do you think?

Thanks for all your help- it sounds like you really know Alaska!

I have done both, and actually did like the in town paddleing up Creek St. with so much salmon it seemed you couldn't help hitting them. :) But as mentioned- whales are NOT likely, and I have only seen birds on these trips. For whales go on a tour out of Juneua- 100% sightings of humpbacks.

Archived