Where does the Destiny rank among the other ships?

Forgive me for my possible stupid question :)

I've cruised RCCL but am looking at the 5 day on the Destiny to Grand Turk, Nassau and Half Moon Cay.

Just wondering how the Destiny ranks in regards to the other ships!?

Any help is great. I'm surprising my mom and taking her on a cruise, needed a balcony - I want everything to be nice and under $600 pp, if possible. This is her first one, I wanted it to be special.

Thanks!

I've cruised RCCL but am looking at the 5 day on the Destiny to Grand Turk, Nassau and Half Moon Cay.

Any help is great. I'm surprising my mom and taking her on a cruise, needed a balcony - I want everything to be nice and under $600 pp, if possible. This is her first one, I wanted it to be special.

Thanks!

Your RCL cruise was on the Monarch OTS. Normally RCL has the nicer ships and Carnival has the more fun cruise. But in this case, The Monarch is a garbage scow with tiny cabins compared to the Destiny.

The Destiny was the first of the modern, ALL balcony, mega ships. Its far surpassed by the same type now. But the Monarch is old time , cramped cabin type. construction that is long out of favor today.

LOL! I know that now. That Monarch - very quick getaway, last minute, decision. :-)

I have to admit, I'm in my mid-to-late 20s, single, am on a budget, and want to get the most bang for the buck. Who doesn't?! Surprising - I thought the Monarch was very clean and nice, enjoyable too. No fancy frills, but for $120 pp I didn't expect any.

Comparing them, I know the Destiny will win, but comparing the Destiny to other Carnival ships - how does it fare?

On the RCCL website, you can easily sort out classes, it goes from Sovereign to Oasis, but it isn't clear on the Carnival site.

You can look on cruisedeckplans site and see all the classes of ships and that it is only newer than Fantasy class ships ... sort of. some overlap. Conquest class is newer and larger, then splendor class, and now there is a dream class.

It is a older ship, but Im sure its still nice. Its probably cheap after the end of last year when it had so many mechanical problems and missed so many ports, lots got upset and gave the ship a bad name.

ohhhhhh, that I did not know. Interesting.

Obviously, I am more familiar with RCCL, I want balcony for around 650 or less pp, at least 5 nights, anywhere other than JUST Nassau or JUST Cozumel, I'm sick of Nassau. LOL And I've only been ONCE. The only reason why I'm going back is bc of Coco Cay and Key West. LOL Dang I'm picky.

Do you guys think I'm looking for something that doesn't exists? (I've search the site and only really came up with the Destiny Turk itinerary.) If so, thats cool. I'm looking for next May - Dec 2011, perferable not during PEAK Hurricane season. :)

Sorry for being so long winded.

LOL! I know that now. That Monarch - very quick getaway, last minute, decision. :-)

I have to admit, I'm in my mid-to-late 20s, single, am on a budget, and want to get the most bang for the buck. Who doesn't?! Surprising - I thought the Monarch was very clean and nice, enjoyable too. No fancy frills, but for $120 pp I didn't expect any.

Comparing them, I know the Destiny will win, but comparing the Destiny to other Carnival ships - how does it fare?

On the RCCL website, you can easily sort out classes, it goes from Sovereign to Oasis, but it isn't clear on the Carnival site.

Its pretty much a rule of thumb, You don't get the first line ships on short cruises! Short cruises mean older ships. That's the only way lines can extract the dollars per day out of the older ships.

If a brand new ship is doing a 7 day cruise at $120 per day per person and an older ship is sailing 7 days at $100 pppd, who would pick the old ship?

But when the new ship is doing 7 days for $840. and the old ship is doing 3 days for $300., the old ship looks like a deal.

To me, it's at the bottom of my list.

I used to think the same.

Or, actually, I thought even worse, because I said Carnival Destiny was not even on my list.

I had debarkation in Miami earlier this morning, and I have an intirely new respect for this ship (Destiny). :) Was it perfect? No! But it was certainly a better overall experience than some of my other recent CCL vacations.

If a brand new ship is doing a 7 day cruise at $120 per day per person and an older ship is sailing 7 days at $100 pppd, who would pick the old ship?

For me it would all depend on which of the newer ships was being compared.

I've spent 16 days on Carnival Dream. I've spent 4 days on Carnival Destiny. If they were both doing identical itineraries at identical price, I would personally choose Destiny without hesitation.

Doing a 9-nt B2B in September, and will look forward to it.

II had debarkation in Miami earlier this morning, and I have an intirely new respect for this ship (Destiny). :)

I'd really appreciate a review - I hope you're planning one! There's a recent one but it's much more port-specific than I need. I'm more interested in the on-board experience.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks!

We are doing the same cruise later this year on the Destiny and looking forward to it. You should be able to get a balcony for around $450 pp, easy. We have never been on the Destiny or any Conquest class ships, but we have been on every other class. I think if you need a balcony, this will be your best price. The larger ships have larger/more common areas, pools and room, but we have enjoyed the service, food and activities on all of them.

We are fresh off the Destiny. I have been on a few different Carnival ships. I am quite easy to please when it comes to decor, staff etc. I enjoyed the Destiny and the staff was friendly. We had an ocean view room with no complaints. Nice long counter top. Bathroom was a little small compared to some other ships, not a huge deal.

Not knowing your moms age, I really think this is an ideal size ship for any age range.

We were on the Main deck between the middle and the back.

Always was able to find a lounge chair, maybe not next to the pool, but still within ear shot of the activities and the fun, and a lot of available chairs in other peaceful quiet areas. We tend to eat at OFF times and we love the deli. Not many food lines at all. Also love the ice cream machines. There was actually more than one set ;)

I got a whiff of the sewer just every now and then, a smell that is familiar on all ships, it was nothing major, it went away as fast as it came.

I loved the back pool area, this is an adults only pool and hot tub, perfect for mom and you. The roof also does close like some of the bigger ships, so no need to run when it rains if it does. We experienced no rain on our May 3rd sailing.

Half moon cay was really nice, that was my first time there. I loved it, if you plan on renting a clamshell for some shade, i do recommend getting in the lounge for tendering early. This way it wont be a long beach walk to find a clamshell.

Grand turk we rented a golf cart and toured the island that was kind of fun as well.

Nassau we taxid to atlantis for some gambling and walking to the "free part of the aquarium" just enough for us to see and enjoy.

The only drawback that I can see for a "family" is that it doesnt have the waterworks area.

Go with an open mind no matter what review you read, and you and your mom will have a fabulous time.

I would go on the destiny again in a heartbeat.

I used to think the same.

Or, actually, I thought even worse, because I said Carnival Destiny was not even on my list.

I had debarkation in Miami earlier this morning, and I have an intirely new respect for this ship (Destiny). :) Was it perfect? No! But it was certainly a better overall experience than some of my other recent CCL vacations.

For me it would all depend on which of the newer ships was being compared.

I've spent 16 days on Carnival Dream. I've spent 4 days on Carnival Destiny. If they were both doing identical itineraries at identical price, I would personally choose Destiny without hesitation.

Doing a 9-nt B2B in September, and will look forward to it.

The focus of CCL's marketing is NOT aimed at us, the frequent and knowledgeable cruiser. :D:D But at the price conscious general public.:p

Tell me why, if you please? I've just booked my first Carnival cruise of the modern era on her. (First cruise ever was on the Jubilee in 1990).

Sure (my first cruise was on the Jubilee as well!)

Our first experience on a Destiny Class ship (when it was still called a Destiny class ship) was on the Triumph. We got a chance to tour this ship before it ever set sail, after arriving from Europe.

And, although I was thrilled to have my first balcony stateroom (two months later), my first impression that it had less stateroom floorspace than we were used to.

But it was the Lido deck layout I found odd, eventually coming to dislike it. From the rear aft pool, completely closed in (although a retractable roof was novel), the crowded feel and poor layout of the cafeteria, the center pool with the bandstand smack in the center, and the tiered seating, and the inability to walk to the front of the ship "outside".

I also didn't like the dead end feel of the outside promenade on deck 3.

We took this as a convenient quicky to Canada, and repeated the trip the following year on the newly christened Victory.

Both these ships were redesigned to fix the "problems" with the Destiny. The Triumph seemed regal in design in its land theme and dark tones. The Victory was a bit different with its ocean theme, and it dramatic GREENS.

So, when we got a chance to do the Destiny, we were quite shocked to find how sterile the decor was. The ship was just BLAH, in addition to the (my) Lido issues. We did have fun IDing the differences to the two subsequent ships (the missing half deck, the night owl rooms, the swim up bar, the altered lido area stairs, etc.)

So, it was a bit disappointing sailing this prototype. The good thing is we were off the ship more than on, as it was doing the southern Caribbean, which is VERY port intensive.

So, there it lies at the bottom of my Carnival "favorite" list. Would I sail it again? Sure, if it fit my schedule, itinerary, and port of embarkation.

Wow! Thank you EVERYONE for all of your thoughts. I'll keep an eyeball on that cruise, but will look at others.

Our ages are currently 27 and 51, so, at the time we sail we will be 29 and 53. OMG - I'm almost 30. Ek!

I'm going to keep looking and if I have more Qs, I know where to come :)

Thanks!!!

Sure (my first cruise was on the Jubilee as well!)

Our first experience on a Destiny Class ship (when it was still called a Destiny class ship) was on the Triumph. We got a chance to tour this ship before it ever set sail, after arriving from Europe.

And, although I was thrilled to have my first balcony stateroom (two months later), my first impression that it had less stateroom floorspace than we were used to.

But it was the Lido deck layout I found odd, eventually coming to dislike it. From the rear aft pool, completely closed in (although a retractable roof was novel), the crowded feel and poor layout of the cafeteria, the center pool with the bandstand smack in the center, and the tiered seating, and the inability to walk to the front of the ship "outside".

I also didn't like the dead end feel of the outside promenade on deck 3.

We took this as a convenient quicky to Canada, and repeated the trip the following year on the newly christened Victory.

Both these ships were redesigned to fix the "problems" with the Destiny. The Triumph seemed regal in design in its land theme and dark tones. The Victory was a bit different with its ocean theme, and it dramatic GREENS.

So, when we got a chance to do the Destiny, we were quite shocked to find how sterile the decor was. The ship was just BLAH, in addition to the (my) Lido issues. We did have fun IDing the differences to the two subsequent ships (the missing half deck, the night owl rooms, the swim up bar, the altered lido area stairs, etc.)

So, it was a bit disappointing sailing this prototype. The good thing is we were off the ship more than on, as it was doing the southern Caribbean, which is VERY port intensive.

So, there it lies at the bottom of my Carnival "favorite" list. Would I sail it again? Sure, if it fit my schedule, itinerary, and port of embarkation.

I'm more about the cruise than the ship. Any ship is OK with me so long as the cruise is long too.

The only thing I noticed about the Destiny was the unbroken view down the passenger hallways. We were in the second balcony back from the bridge and had the aft dining room. So when we went to dinner, we would go all the way aft on our floor. Starting from our room and looking to the aft end it looked so far away that we laughed about them having different weather all the way back there. Most ships have something to interrupt that long vista.

Archived