Need some honest opinions about bikini tops...

Here's the deal: I've lost 100 pounds, most of it in the last year and a half. I would still like to lose a little more before our cruise in August. I would love to wear a bikini top - not a string bikini or anything, just a bikini. I know I won't be wearing a bikini bottom, because of lots of stretch marks from two children and having pale skin just makes them more prominent. So I have a cute Miracle Suit black skirt bottom.

I just don't want to wear the bikini top if it's going to look like I'm still not at a size to look good in it. My husband is being very supportive and nice - I don't think he would tell me straight up that I'm not ready for it.

So, I would like your opinions. What size do you think is too large to look good in a bikini top? I'm talking one that has more coverage and adequate support for the girls.

Thanks,

Jennie

First off, congratulations on your weight loss :)

You need an honest friend to go shopping with, not one who will just appease you and tell you lies to make you feel good.

I don't think it makes as much difference as to what size you are, as much as the tone (muscle, not color) of your skin. I've seen women who are skinny, yet the skin on their abdomen is flabby and they look horrid in a bikini, yet other women who are not thin but in good shape look just fine.

Have them take pictures of you so you can see what the rest of the world will see, we can't always get the true picture from mirrors, even three sided ones. I've had a few outfits I thought looked fine on me, only to see them in a photo and was surprised how unflattering the look was.

There is a bathing suit out there for you, you may have to try on dozens, but you will find it. Don't limit yourself to a bikini top, try on others as well, one piece and tankinis.

Wear whatever YOU'RE comfortable in...you're going to see all kinds of suits...from those that look great, to some that will be topics of conversation for years!

You'll be fine...take a girlfriend shopping with you...girlfriends will tell you if something looks horrendous!

The suggestion to take a friend shopping is a good one. And the taking pictures - I have done the same thing - worn an outfit I thought was cute and then saw it in pictures and thought, "Not so much."

And yes, I've seen examples of someone wearing something that would be a topic of conversation for years. I just don't want to be one!

Thanks for your replies so far. And CrazyGramps, I will be watching for you.

Not totally off topic, I hpe this pastes, my niece sent it to me yesterday:

GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3d8fae6b3f-f15f-44a7-9451-b59bb378e1d5%26ct%3daW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d%26name%3dQVRUMDAwMDE_3d%26inline%3d1%26rfc%3d0%26empty%3dFalse%26imgsrc%3dcid%253a1.4166743140%2540web180505.mail.gq1.yahoo.com&oneredir=1&ip=10.13.8.8&d=d887&mf=32&a=01_89434aad7121ed74ac06629f708e49fecc2588ed9bcaf0fc6180de39fc3574d6

I happen to disagree with stating to wear what you feel comfortable in. The OP is concerned about how she will look to others, otherwise she wouldn't be asking. I would feel comfortable in a pillow case with the top cut out for my head to poke through. Comfort is only one aspect of what you wear.

Yep, Ks, what you just posted kinda sums it up for me. I know everyone says not to worry about what other people think. But I do.

It's not like I'm going to be devastated if I can't wear a bikini or anything. I already have a cute tankini top that I would be happy in. It's just if I could look good in one, it would just be so cool to wear one. I've struggled with my weight all my life, and it would just be like a big milestone for me. But only if I look good in it.

Yes, but dont you think if you feel comfortable in something that does have an effect on how others will view you.

I remember some 5 years ago or so when I lost an significant amount of weight and I tried on a bikini. Lo and behold, to my surprise, I felt great in it and wore it with confidence for quite a few years on many cruises.

Then just recently we went to Mexico on vacation. I had put on about 10 pounds which is not a great deal yet when I tried on the suit I no longer felt comfortable in it and went instead with a tikini suit I had and again felt comfortable and wore that one with confidence all week....

I do think that how one feels in what they wear will ultimately reflect what others see.

But only if I look good in it.

Look good to whom? Because there will always be somone out there to criticize, judge, eye roll, or make snippy comments to their friends. If you think you look good in it, it shouldn't matter.

Congratulations!!!!!!! Wear whatever you want!!! And be proud! I agree about taking an honest person shopping with you. and maybe even take a more "conservative" bathing suit on the cruise in case you end up feeling uncomfortable in the bikini. But...with the weight you've lost...I think a bikini is totally deserved!!! Congrats again!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!! Wear whatever you want!!! And be proud! I agree about taking an honest person shopping with you. and maybe even take a more "conservative" bathing suit on the cruise in case you end up feeling uncomfortable in the bikini. But...with the weight you've lost...I think a bikini is totally deserved!!! Congrats again!!!

I couldn't agree more! Congrats to you

Here's the deal: I've lost 100 pounds,

CONGRATS...WTG:)

wear the tankini and take the bikini top i bet after the first day of seeing everyone and knowing how you feel in your tankini that you will know whether or not you want to TRY your bikini top...if not save it for another time when you know you will feel GOOD about wearing it!!

Anyone who has ever had a weight problem understands you!!! You have actually succeeded in dieting!! Big Congratulations!! Take both tops, and if you feel like it, just do it!!! Maybe go to a topless beach and don't even worry!!! How good would that feel??:)

Wow! I just wanted to say congratulations on your weight loss. (I am a fashion DUNCE, so I have no opinion on the bikini part.) I've lost 70 pounds, but I have flappy skin so I'm going to keep mine covered up (until after the tummy tuck anyway, I've had seven kids). Heh. And shopping is much more fun at a 12-14 than it was at a 22! Good luck!

Robin

My favorite style suit is a full coverage bottom with an underwire bikini top. I try to buy separates when I can because ideally I get one size bigger for the bottom than the top. or a top sized by bra size This is the best-looking and most flattering style for me - I have a 36D top and 14 bottom, and a fairly small waist and thin midriff. I am in my mid-50's.

I don't have any pictures to post

I often buy from Newport News and Speigel - Check their website for what I am talking about

I'm actually a fashion dunce too, Robin. I grew up as a midwestern farmgirl, outside riding horses and playing in the dirt most of the time. I've got the flabby tummy too, so I'm keeping that under wraps for sure. I would love a tummy tuck - maybe after we get our kids through college.

Simplelife, your favorite outfit sounds a lot like what I am thinking about. Definately a full coverage bottom. And I'm also a different size on bottom than I am on top - so I'm all about the separates too.

Thanks, everybody, for your understanding my dilemna, and for all your nice comments about my weight loss.

I understand where you are coming from. I've also lost almost 100lbs, still have probably another 20 to go until goal. If was tanned I think I would consider a boyshort or skirt with a bikini top but not with my fish white belly. In the end I probably wouldn't go through with it anyways don't think I'd be comfortable enough to do it. I went with a swimdress this year. Haven't gotten it yet so not sure how I will like it but it's cute and not too frumpy. Usually I do tankinis tops and board shorts.

I completely 100% agree with taking a pic to see what it really looks like. I did that before our cruise last year. Took a pic of each dress, outfit etc. that I planned to take and felt I looked good in all of them. Well pictures don't lie and I quickly realized I didn't look like I thought I did in some and awesome in others. Need to do the same for this year.

Congrats on your weightloss and good luck on your swimsuit shopping. It's nice when shopping becomes fun again :)

Congratulations to you too, poobears and Robin! I know firsthand how hard it is to keep going sometimes when you have a considerable amount to lose. I think I would like to lose 10 or 15 more, as long as I don't lose my curves. And I am definitely getting a spray tan (real tan is not an option for this redhead). I think that will help a lot.

IslandDream....

after 5 kids (4 of which are same age!) I went through quite a traumatic pregnancy which took a toll on my skin (my abdomen looks like a map!), not to mention my arm and leg areas. It's only been since last cruise I would wear a bikini in public (tankinis for me until then!).

One trick I learned is to get a little bit of sun before my swimsuit season, and then I spray tan couple of times before cruising. Being tanned makes me look skinnier and helps to hide some of the stretch marks!

Take your phone with you, take a pic of the shop outside, then when you go in and try on a few different styles take a picture of each.

The only rule is in each shop alongside the stuff you do like, you MUST try on something you wouldn't normally wear - so if it's a Hawaiian print tankini and shorts you'd not be seen dead in you must try it on. This methos ensures you try on something a bit different that you would have written off, sometimes the results will really surprise you.

when you get home look at all the pics you took with your phone and make notes about what style suits you best, and whether patterns or plain will be best for you.

fwiw a Wonderbra style bikini or one that looks like a crop top for exercise will probably give you most support where it's needed. Try the bikinis with short type bottoms - you'll be surprised how much they will cover up.

Definitely try on things you wouldn't normally wear. I bought my usual style of formal this year online but it turned out to be too tight in the bust. On a whim I bought a tierred ruffle little black dress because the price was right. Doubted I'd wear it. Well it came the other day and I tried it on. I was floored it looks amazing. The ruffles are sheer and flat so they don't make you look bigger like you think they would, it's very slimming and the straps have black beading to add a little shine. It went from the style I thought I'd never wear to my new formal night dress.

Dh loves it so that's a bonus!

Think I'll use the phone trick next time I go shopping, that's a great idea. I think the problem with losing weight is you still think of yourself like you were before and dismiss things that looked bad on you then but could great now if you just tried them. Now if I can take my own advice :p

Yes, I really needed to hear that about trying on stuff I normally would not. I'm just starting to get out of my comfort zone. And you are right, Poobears, it takes time to psychologically adjust to the new way you look. And my body has changed shape so much, that completely different styles of clothes look good on me now.

Archived