First Timer QM2 - Cabin Advice Needed

kelly3399

For our 40th anniversary next year, we are planning to cross from NY to Southampton on the Queen Mary 2. Although this is a very special occasion...budget is going to be really important. We are looking at cabin categories D7 and D8 which are deck 4 at the fore and aft of ship. Could go to D6 category which is a little closer to centre for not too much of price increase. Has anyone been in these cabins. I am only worried about feeling the ship rocking more if nearer the ends as I was told I should be in the centre for smooth ride (by people who have never sailed). Was also told I should go on a much higher deck to avoid engine noises etc. I need HELP here from people who have actually sailed....not well meaning, non sailing friends. lol .I need to book soon. Any other suggestions or points of interest are also appreciated.

Thank you . We are really looking forward to the experience.

Kelly

Unless the sea is really rough you rarely feel anything on the QM2. She was built to be stable. We stayed in an inside cabin, and it was fine for the two of us. Can't remember where it was at all. We spent most of our time on deck and used it just for sleeping. (Budget was important to us as well). I know it wasn't that far into mid-ship it was closer to the end of the MDR, but below it 2 levels (I really must be getting old because its not clear to me at all much anymore...). We never experienced engine noise at all, so I think you will be fine. It all depends on the weather and the sea, and you can't really know what you'll get til you're in it!

Have a great trip and enjoy yourselves, it will be an experience.

We were on deck 4 aft albeit a balcony and had a wonderful trip.

There is so much to see and do onboard youwill have a great time.

You never know the upgade fairy might visit you on your first trip (just my theory, please post back if it happens), whatever have a wonderful 40th anniversary. Dont forget to ask for the major anniversary benefits for your trip.Good luck...keep posting.

Fred.

You will barely feel a thing, she is an incredibly stable ship - my wife suffers from seasickness and felt absolutely nothing on any of our trips, and we have stayed all over the ship.

As for things to do, there are almost too many to list. The main things are to bring some nice clothes and enjoy the dining and dancing experience (doesn't matter if you don't dance!), and either do the things that are on offer during the day or just relax!

Archived