How rough is the ocean water from Los Angeles to Mexican Riviera?

debjo

We've just done this cruise twice (enough for us) but both times rocky the last day or so. Was rough seas the first few days of our Hawaiian cruise, but relatively smooth the rest of the two weeks.

Our Alaskan cruise, by comparison, was very smooth.

This will makes sense to California natives, but I likened it to being in a constant 3.5 magnitude earthquake. Big enough to feel it, but not big enough for it to do any real damage (besides maybe a picture falling off the wall, if even that).

I think the pictures are glued to the wall!

Would the time of the year have anything to do with it? On the east coast we have hurricane season that changes things...dramatically!!:eek:

If we booked a West Coast departure what would be the best time to sail?

Thanks, as always these boards are the best!!!!!:D

If you're going to Mexico try and stay away from Spring Break and July through September.....not only is it 102degrees but it's also 100% humidity and the ships are filled with "spring break-like party crowds", with lots of noise and kids.

If you can go in November thru the end of March, it's just a better time. It can be cooler in L.A. or Long Beach but the ships are not filled with a lot of "party people" and Mexico's weather is more bearable.

If you prefer the party atmosphere and lots of outdoor pool time with tons of sun, you'll love the crowds and weather in April - August. The prices during this time will be higher and you won't find many deals.

Which ever time you choose have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks so much, everyone, for sharing your sailing experiences along the west coast with me. I really appreciate the links that have been shared, and now I can be better prepared for our Mexican Riviera cruise. These message boards can't be beat when it comes to first hand advice!

In gratitude,

Debjo

If you're going to Mexico try and stay away from Spring Break and July through September.....not only is it 102degrees but it's also 100% humidity and the ships are filled with "spring break-like party crowds", with lots of noise and kids.

If you can go in November thru the end of March, it's just a better time. It can be cooler in L.A. or Long Beach but the ships are not filled with a lot of "party people" and Mexico's weather is more bearable.

If you prefer the party atmosphere and lots of outdoor pool time with tons of sun, you'll love the crowds and weather in April - August. The prices during this time will be higher and you won't find many deals.

Which ever time you choose have a wonderful cruise!

Actually the Spring Break info is not correct at all. We went during Spring Break this year and there was not "Spring Break Crowd." I did notice that the crowd was younger in general (more folks in the 20-40 age) but as a 40 year old, I appreciated having others my age around. The previous cruise we took we were by far the youngest ones on board and although we didn't mind, it was nice to have a better balance this time.

As far as the weather, it is DRYEST in the Spring through April. Rain is about 1 day a month and the humidity is the lowest. It's actually my idea of perfect weather. 80-85 and DRY!

Once May rolls around, the humidity, rain and hurricanes are much more likely...

Speaking as someone who lived in PV for a year....

Katherine

I have done the Mexican Riviera from San Diego at least four times. Once, in mid December, there was never even a bit of motion. You could hardly know you were on a ship.

Another time in early December, we hit rough seas right before or after Cabo, forget which, just for several hours. This sometimes happens as I believe two currents meet there.

The third time we did this sailing was in March, and it was very smooth.

We just did it over Thanksgiving in 2009, and I do not recall any rough days.

Archived