How rough is the ocean water from Los Angeles to Mexican Riviera?

debjo

Having never sailed off the coast of California into Mexico on the Pacific Ocean, being one of those northeasterners, I'm curious as to how tranquil or rough the waters might be on the above captioned sailing at the end of November/beginning of December on the SAPPHIRE PRINCESS?

We're used to the waters in the Atlantic to be a bit rough from Boston or New York City down to Cape Hatteras...but then they smooth out nicely going towards Bermuda and the Caribbean. But the best was the Inside Passage out of Seattle to Alaska! So if anyone is able to give me some comparisons to these waters, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks for your words of wisdom!

Debjo

Having never sailed off the coast of California into Mexico on the Pacific Ocean, being one of those northeasterners, I'm curious as to how tranquil or rough the waters might be on the above captioned sailing at the end of November/beginning of December on the SAPPHIRE PRINCESS?

We're used to the waters in the Atlantic to be a bit rough from Boston or New York City down to Cape Hatteras...but then they smooth out nicely going towards Bermuda and the Caribbean. But the best was the Inside Passage out of Seattle to Alaska! So if anyone is able to give me some comparisons to these waters, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Just as you experience the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic, that goes up the eastern coastline and heads to Ireland off the coast of Long Island and Cape Cod, likewise there's the California current that heads south from the Gulf of Alaska along the West Coast. How rough it is depends on the Jet Stream and the wind but generally, if you are sailing south or west from LA (San Pedro), you experience it for perhaps a day, maybe a day and a half. It's rougher if you're heading west to HI and sometimes, isn't bad at all when you sail south. In the Gulf Stream, it's warmer; in the California current, it's colder.

As is all wx, impossible to predict, but remember, that ocean is called the 'Pacific' because Balboa (I think it was him) saw it and it was so calm and "passive" , he called it that. And he was looking at the Pacific from the Panama Coast, a bit south of where you'd cruise.

Experience is: calm and nice for our cruises, all of them. There Are Storms and there can be storms further away that cause high seas and long reaches, so on. But that is not the 'norm'.

As to the Alaska Current, it normally heads away from the Calif coast just about at Santa Barbara area.

Denny

We sailed the Sapphire in mid-November from LA to Mexico. For the most part, she handled it beautifully, and we didn't feel a thing. However, if you're doing the 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise, we've found that you're likely to get a lot of motion on the last day and a half while returning from Cabo to LA (we experienced this both on the Sapphire and the Golden). That's because the ship is moving very fast to get back up to LA in time... and I'm guessing that, coupled with the particulars of the current/waters in that area, makes for not-so-smooth sailing. However, even given that, my husband managed through it okay (and he gets motion sick fairly easily).

My dad is retired Navy and a frequent cruiser too and says that sailing north from Mexico is usually fairly rough. I have done the Mexican Riviera cruise twice and it is bouncy--but not like the time we were on the edge of a hurricane off the Bahamas.

Odd isn't it? Pam calls it the California Current, Denny calls it the Alaska Current, and when I went to school it was called the Japanese Current.

By any name, it flows South along the Left Coast, and generally speaking, it is smoother sailing South than it is North.

In the grand scheme of things, it is generally not as rough as the North Sea or the Irish Sea, but face it, there are no guarantees upon the water.

Sailing north to LA on our western Mexico cruise we had the roughest water we've ever experienced on a cruise. DH was bed-ridden all day.

Sailing south, on the other hand, was extremely smooth.

It's partly luck of the draw. We once did a 2 week round trip cruise from LA to Hawaii and back, with four days at sea each way. The ocean was like glass for the entire cruise, but apparently the prior to weeks were so rough even the staff was seasick.

Go figure.

Odd isn't it? Pam calls it the California Current, Denny calls it the Alaska Current, and when I went to school it was called the Japanese Current.

By any name, it flows South along the Left Coast, and generally speaking, it is smoother sailing South than it is North.

In the grand scheme of things, it is generally not as rough as the North Sea or the Irish Sea, but face it, there are no guarantees upon the water.

Here I was, thinking they had 3 currents to worry about. The Japan Current was what we

learned here on the right coast.

Went to Wiki to look it up and the correct name is the California Current - Pam wins!

It flows from north of British Columbia to Baja - along the West Coast bringing cold water all along the Calif Coast. It starts to move further out (more westward) near Santa Baraba and basically dispates off Baja.

The Alaska Current is more of a rotational current off most of Alaska - is 'connected' to the Calif Current with a flow off of it heading south.

The Japan Current comes North along the East Pacific, from the Tawain area up north and then east of Japan and into the North Pacific bringing wamer waters into the Artic area, kind of like the Gulf Steam. It's eastern flow connects with the Alaska Current.

So it looks like waters start from Taiwan along the Japan Current, into the Artic area, feed back south along Alaska becoming the Alaska Current, most going 'circular', but some flowing into the north British Columbia waters to then form into the California Current and cooling the West Coast all the way down to Baja.

Wow, you learn something every day!

Denny

I'd describe it as "you know you're on a large ship, but the tableware is staying put". There's usually a bit of a pitch and a low-single-digit-degree roll.

This will makes sense to California natives, but I likened it to being in a constant 3.5 magnitude earthquake. Big enough to feel it, but not big enough for it to do any real damage (besides maybe a picture falling off the wall, if even that).

I have to agree that coming up the coast from Cabo to LA we had some rough water. This is the first time on all of our cruises that I felt a slight bit of seasickness. I laid down for a short nap and felt fine after that. Going south it was fine. This was on our last day and the rest of the cruise was a delight. I would not hesitate to do this cruise again. Don't let this stop you from doing this itinerary.:o

I usually do not need to take any sea sickness stuff cruising down the coast but once we leave Cabo heding back up I take someting like bonine it does not make you sleepy or I use the patch. Once you are sick it is hard to re group.

It must be the way the waves hit and the boat rocks.

I only notice it cruising north not cruisng south.

Then we have cruised to hawaii and had it smooth like glass most of the way.

It must be pretty rough. The first night out to sea, I came back to my cabin very late went to get in bed and I got thrown out the cabin door--wait that was my wife who threw me out---nevermind!:)

We just came back from the MX Riviera and the ship hardly moved at all during the 7 days. It was so smooth even my DH remarked at how it's like bathwater.

Even coming home it was great! We are going again for Thanksgiving so I guess we'll see how it goes then. I am guessing we may feel motion moving back north from Cabo but probably not much unless there is a storm.

By the way this great site allows you to view currents in motion for the days to come. I occasionally look at the site and most of the time I see 1-2 foot waves (ie nothing really). Right now it's showing pink, which is 0 foot waves. Take a look at the South American currents "around the horn!" :eek:

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/mmm.html?map=wave&animate=1#map

You are right though, nothing beats the Alaskan Inside Passage. :)

Heading there next year!!

Katherine

Went to Wiki to look it up and the correct name is the California Current - Pam wins!
I cheated. :) I went to Wiki before posting. :) Regardless of what it's called, it can be quite rough and choppy the first day or day and a half from San Pedro or returning. When the ship returns from Cabo to San Pedro, it's going against the current and while it's at full speed, it might be actually only making half speed. This is why the ship leaves Cabo so early, i.e., they have to allow time to sail against the current back to San Pedro.

I'd describe it as "you know you're on a large ship, but the tableware is staying put". There's usually a bit of a pitch and a low-single-digit-degree roll.

I didn't even realize I was on a ship until the last day from Cabo to LA. Still not bad at all the entire cruise. I kind of liked the rough seas the last day because I was reminded I was on a ship... but was very sad that it was almost over.

I have done the west coast to Mexico 14 times. The sea is always rocky coming back to port. Most times it is really smooth going down. One time coming back it was smooth as glass. I take dramamine during the whole cruise and am fine. I learned on the first one. It is a great cruise though.

Just back from the Sapphire's last MR cruise 2 weeks ago. Heard of the rough seas and was waiting for it. Fortunately, it was the smoothest cruise we have ever taken. Yes, coming back from Cabo he was booking but only 2 days did we see "small" white caps. Water was like glass. I guess we just picked a great week to sail!

Would the time of the year have anything to do with it? On the east coast we have hurricane season that changes things...dramatically!!:eek:

If we booked a West Coast departure what would be the best time to sail?

Thanks, as always these boards are the best!!!!!:D

The best weather in ports is in the Spring (March/April), when it's cooler and DRY. Hurricane season is the Summer and Early Fall. It's super hot and humid during that time. It gets really nice again in November and is pleasant through the winter. But the water is cool from Nov-March!

Katherine

We went in March All I can say is IT WAS FREEZING cold on deck. I was warned here THANK GOD I LISTENED .WE needed warm clothes Hoodies gloves EVERYTHING gioing down to Mexico Was warm in ports SOUTH of Mazatlan ..not swimming weather either ..water was ICECOLD ......Same in JUly returning from Hawaii

Bring a few warm jogging suits and hoodies I was OK but would not go back Other side is MUCH warmer!!!

Bon Voyage

Archived