Bringing food on board OK?

Set Free

I know it sounds SOOO stupid but I'm going to be bringing food with me. However, I'm talking about a pack of individual boxes of pretzel sticks, a box of granola bars, a box of fruit snacks and the little boxes of raisins. We're cruising HAL's Veendam to Bermuda and I wanted to have some snacks to stick in the backpack for when we go ashore for the kids (7 and 9 years old). Will that be OK? I know we can bring drinks and for going ashore, we usually just bring water in our refillable water bottles but we like to bring some snacks too so we don't get the "I'm hungry!" thing. :)

I know it sounds SOOO stupid but I'm going to be bringing food with me. However, I'm talking about a pack of individual boxes of pretzel sticks, a box of granola bars, a box of fruit snacks and the little boxes of raisins. We're cruising HAL's Veendam to Bermuda and I wanted to have some snacks to stick in the backpack for when we go ashore for the kids (7 and 9 years old). Will that be OK? I know we can bring drinks and for going ashore, we usually just bring water in our refillable water bottles but we like to bring some snacks too so we don't get the "I'm hungry!" thing. :)

Yes, you can bring those sorts of snacks. I'd stick with stuff like you've described -- prepackaged "individual serving" sorts of things, so that there will be no issues with any of the security folks along the way, but it shouldn't be an issue at all.

The issue gets difficult when you're taking food OFF the ship -- particularly fruits and vegetables. There are major agricultural laws against that sort of thing...although folks try it all the time. Sometimes they get away with it, other times not.

Yes, you can bring those sorts of snacks. I'd stick with stuff like you've described -- prepackaged "individual serving" sorts of things, so that there will be no issues with any of the security folks along the way, but it shouldn't be an issue at all.

The issue gets difficult when you're taking food OFF the ship -- particularly fruits and vegetables. There are major agricultural laws against that sort of thing...although folks try it all the time. Sometimes they get away with it, other times not.

I'd guess the sealed things wouldn't be a problem but possibly the raisins might be? Should I just skip those? I can - it wouldn't be an issue.

I'd guess the sealed things wouldn't be a problem but possibly the raisins might be? Should I just skip those? I can - it wouldn't be an issue.

Stick with sealed individual items. Also split them up among the family, dont have one person carry them all.

If one person is pulled aside and their pop-tarts/granola bars are confiscated for no real reason you still have the other family's stash

Most likely nothing will happen and all will be ok. Enjoy your cruise

You can get raisins in little individual bags and boxes...they're fine to bring onboard...although there is SOOOO much food you have access to, and can bring to your room, you really won't need too much!

You can get raisins in little individual bags and boxes...they're fine to bring onboard...although there is SOOOO much food you have access to, and can bring to your room, you really won't need too much!

The OP is looking to bring food on the ship so that the OP can take the food off the ship. The OP is not looking for food to bring on the ship to consume on the ship.

You can take factory sealed food off the ship. Since the food on the ship is not in its factory sealed container, it can not be taken off the ship. The exception is for those little cereal boxes. Those are still in their factory sealed containers and thus can be taken off the ship. Same with candy you buy in the ship's store.

Stick with sealed individual items. Also split them up among the family, dont have one person carry them all.

If one person is pulled aside and their pop-tarts/granola bars are confiscated for no real reason you still have the other family's stash

Most likely nothing will happen and all will be ok. Enjoy your cruise

If food items are confiscated, it's going to be because of local agricultural laws. The laws are not there "for no real reason"; they are there to protect the agriculture/ecosystem of the place you are visiting. Please do not try to smuggle any food items that are not allowed off the ship.

Set Free:

It depends where you are visiting. Raisins are the most likely item to be forbidden because they are fruit, dried doesn't usually make a difference in the fruit restrictions. Even sealed packages of raisins will likely not be allowed. Everything else sounds fine, but keep in mind that each country has its own laws. For example, in New Zealand, even sealed granola bars would be confiscated because they contain nuts, dried fruit, and similar items. The laws there are extremely strict. I do not know what Bermuda's specific restrictions are, but you can count on fruit and vegetables of any kind as being forbidden. Other fresh items such as meat, cheese, and bread items may or may not be allowed. Generally, fresh food of any kind is banned (in some cases because it keeps it simpler).

beachchick

Set Free:

It depends where you are visiting. Raisins are the most likely item to be forbidden because they are fruit, dried doesn't usually make a difference in the fruit restrictions. Even sealed packages of raisins will likely not be allowed. Everything else sounds fine, but keep in mind that each country has its own laws. For example, in New Zealand, even sealed granola bars would be confiscated because they contain nuts, dried fruit, and similar items. The laws there are extremely strict. I do not know what Bermuda's specific restrictions are, but you can count on fruit and vegetables of any kind as being forbidden. Other fresh items such as meat, cheese, and bread items may or may not be allowed. Generally, fresh food of any kind is banned (in some cases because it keeps it simpler).

beachchick

Thanks. I think I'll skip the raisins and just go with the fruit snacks, granola bars and pretzels. :)

We been cruising with HAL to the caribbean for the last few years. Kids age 7M, 2Y, 4Y and 4Y. We always bring snacks with us so the kids can eat at the airport, airplane, and at ports. Granola bars, crackers, nuts. We've even taken the cereal boxes from the buffet for dry snacks. Along with raisins from the breakfast buffet. We throw them in a little zip lock bag with the dried cereal, nuts and dried cranberry and blueberries we bring along and instant trail mix. We've never had a problem in port, on or off the ship. I do what I do to ensure my kids aren't hungry in a foreign port.

Archived