FOS -Need help! Royal Family Suite or Grand Suite w.adj room

:confused:

Wondering which option will be best for our family of 5....

We will be sailing in August for the first time as a family. Kids ages 14,11,8. We are deciding beween a Royal Family Suite (9708): 2 BR, 2bath, larger balcony, back of the ship...??? Curious about "obstructed" views.

OR a Grand suite (1286) with an adjoining superior oceanview stateroom (1288). Interested in the concierge perks and are wondering if all members of the party would benefit or if we would experience a problem since some of our party will be staying in a oceanview room as opposed to a suite.

Any advice would be welcome and appreciated!

We have done the RFS...liked it a lot. But if you can get two cabins totally separate right next to one another I would go that route....kids can't do the CL in the evening anyhow...that is one loss from them not being in RFS...but with 2 cabins they get their view as well where RFS on most ships the quad occupancy part is like an inside cabin.

Either way everyone should have a nice cruise which is the #1 priority!!!

We have done the RFS...liked it a lot.

Hi Rancher Dave- Just wondering, have you ever done the RFS on Voyager? When my TA returns from her vaca. I'm hoping to book her out of NOLA with that room. It will be the 5 of us and our kids are Adult kids now!:eek:;)

We were a party of 11 last year on Liberty and stayed in a RFS plus adjoining balcony. We enjoyed the suite very much, but we had very serious soot problems and that absolutely prevented us from enjoying the huge balcony. We were never able to eat breakfast outside because the soot was everywhere on our deck in the morning (even if we wiped everything down, our feet/shoes were black).

On these boards, you'll read about different experiences w/ soot on the aft balconies. Some have experienced an intermittent issue and others (like us) have had a constant issue. The staff on LOS really did try to help by stepping up the cleanings, sent a bottle of champagne to our room, etc, but we were still disappointed that we couldn't take advantage of the aft balcony.

Two other comments about this room. We went in August and that aft balcony was hot as there was very little wind to cool things down. In addition, the walk from the elevators to the room is very long. Not a big deal unless you're trying to quickly run to the room to grab something.

We had 3 of the kids (ages 8, 10, 17) listed in the connecting balcony and they all received gold cards. We were told at check-in that they do this to mirror the kids to the adult's "status" (not sure that's the right word). In other words, this prevented the kids from being turned away/separated from the adults in the shows (theater & ice), on the "suite" section of Labadee, and when we had breakfast in the Windjammer (and were able to eat in a Portofino's).

This summer, we are doing the Grand Suite/adjoining balcony configuration because I really want to enjoy our balcony.

Despite the issues that we had with our RFS, if that was the only option left (i.e. no other connecting rooms w/ suites) then I would book that room again. It's not a given that soot will be a constant issue on the balcony, but there is a definite chance.

Archived