Island Escape - Few questions

Hi all,

As I have posted on here before, I am new to the world of cruises, let alone Island Escape.

I love to read up and be prepared for anything to do with holidays.

Please can someone kindly advise me on the following:

1) I thought that the buffet was "dine anytime" yet Thomsons have asked us for our preferred sitting on 6:30pm or 8:30pm? Is there a good time to go for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner to avoid the masses? Will I be penalised with quality of food by going outside of the "normal" times?

2) Deck chairs. Do people reserve them with towels/jackets then disappear? If yes, do the crew remove the items? Where are the best deck chairs on the ship and how early do I need to be there to get one?

3) Evening entertainment. How early do we need to get to where ever to see a show?

Apologies for asking so many questions, but I am bitten by the bug now and will provide a detailed report by return when I get back.

:D

Hi peterpan69

We are going on the Island Escape on 1st July and this will be our first time on this particular ship too.

Going by other Thomson ships (ie Destiny) you can eat in the Lido Buffet at any time. I think they only ask you for your preferred early or late sitting in case you want to go in the formal dining room.

Yes people do put towels on sun beds and although it does state that things will be removed if left for a long time, I have never seen any of the crew do it.

They usually have the evening entertainment twice - once for early sitting diners and once for late. If you go to the buffet I would have thought you could go in as soon as the doors open.

Hope this helps a bit

Janet:)

We were on the IE in March and there were no set sittings for dinner, probably because we picked up passengers in 3 different ports during the week. The Beachomber on Deck 10 is a 'dine anytime' place but is more canteen style in decor and with plastic crockery whereas the Island Restaurant is more formal with table cloths, settings and waiters for your drinks. We didn't try the Oasis but apparently it was quite good

The first night we dined late, as we went off ship to look round Funchal, and found it a bit too busy for our tastes. Also, eating late lies heavy on the stomach. After that we went early and got down just before opening when it was quiet and that allowed us to get one of the tables for two.

The show lounges are very popular and to get a good seat it's best to get in about 40 minutes before. The seats are very comfortable and we had drinks to pass the time.

They do put towels on sunbeds and they are NOT taken off but the only day we stayed onboard was the 'at sea' day when it was mayhem around the pool so we ended up on the astro turf in a quiet corner.:eek: Plenty of things to do on ship in the day, we even did a singing lesson, ouch!:eek:

Jan

I can only comment on the first question as this is our first cruise also. We go on the 3rd June and have not been asked for our preferred sitting. Did not think this applied to IE.

Regard. Mo.

Archived