Dewey Lakes Trail System

alaskandreamer

While we are in Skagway we plan on seeing the town and checking out

Lower Dewey Lake and the Dewey Lakes Trails.

Can anyone tell us if these trails are worth checking out?

Are they scenic? And is there good wildlife viewing possibilities?

Or should we scrap the idea and use our time seeing more of Skagway?

We are HUGE wildlife fans and love to hike so if anyone has any other suggestions please let us know.

Thanks!

I have done the hike to Dewey Lakes on more than one occasion - the last being in September 2009 - it is a short steep grunt at the start that will give you some impressive views looking down on Skagway and some mountain views when you are at the lake - if you don't want to walk all the way around the lake like I did - check the map available in town for the correct turn at a junction near the lower Dewey Lake.

Haven't seen any wildlife on the trail - too many people on the trail would likely scare away most of it.

You will be able to see your ship at dock - sorry couldn't get that one to upload

Going post a link to my Facebook album that I posted on that hike and also upload a couple here in case you can't access Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/album.php?id=100000496166660&aid=4573

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

1617609448_LowerDeweyLakeloophikeSept22009030.jpg.670b1e01d61b2c654549c52c099816c8.jpg

1167872992_LowerDeweyLakeloophikeSept22009009.jpg.3e69477a31035d5c421ba2fecf8a7295.jpg

1714673904_LowerDeweyLakeloophikeSept22009048.jpg.2384c46ffe9b7fe43bb4efa10d83de82.jpg

No you aren't likely to see wildlife. Especially being in a fixed location. IF wildlife is a priority, you are going to have some better luck, if you get a car.

The trail head as mentioned is stright up, across the tracks between Third and Forth and Spring.

Archived