Shore Excursion thru Ship vs Private Tour

Kirby02

Who should you book your excursions thru?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who should you book your excursions thru?

• Thru Carnival
    • Directly thru Tour Company

My huband and I are leaving June 7th for a 5day to Progreso and Cozumel. We are wanting to Parasail and Snorkel in Cozumel but not sure who to book with. The ship is VERY expensive and I have found a website that "looks" repitable. What are ya'lls opnion on booking?

THANKS!

My huband and I are leaving June 7th for a 5day to Progreso and Cozumel. We are wanting to Parasail and Snorkel in Cozumel but not sure who to book with. The ship is VERY expensive and I have found a website that "looks" repitable. What are ya'lls opnion on booking?

THANKS!

We've done both kinds of excursions. Just make sure that you've done your homework if using an independent operator. Research is the key: make sure that they are reputable by checking multiple sources (CC, Trip Advisor, etc.); make sure that you are aware your expectations so as not have surprises; and make sure that you are not breaching your comfort zone.

Whatever you decide, have fun, fun, fun.:D

Booking independantly is almost always cheaper. Usually thhose companies are also very hospitable and well worth the cost. The main downfall is that if you somehow miss the ship, you are out. If you book through the ship, it will wait or at minimum get you back to it at thier expense.

We were on a airboat tour in Belize that got stuck in some shallower water. We got free, but being a tender port, it could have been easy to miss the last tender out.

Last cruise in Jamaica, our tour bus driver never came to get our group which was about 20 people. After a little coordinating, another ship's driver picked us up and took us back to the main tour location. (We were ziplining, so there was a drive). Had that not happened, we at least knew the ship wouldn't leave w/o us, but it did take away from some other time we would have spent in town.

We do our research and usually book through independent tours...just make sure you check out the times and make sure they correspond to when your ship is in port and that you have enough time to get back. We usually give ourselves at least an hour of cushion. :)

Archived