Questions Re: Fish Fry in Nassau

I heard about the Fish Fry area in Nassau. Has anyone been here and what restaurants would you recommend? Also, is there much shopping here? Is it better to walk or to take a taxi? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

We've found that the best resources for finding food is a good cabbie. Also, there is shopping but I'm not sure if you'll call it good. The straw market is .... um .... crowded? DH hates it ... myself and DD love it.

Take a look at the ports of call section. Lots of info on that area there. Here is one comment I copied out of there for my own info.

I have never been but I am interested in visiting the Fish Fry on my upcoming trip so I will be anxious to see peoples responses on the quality of the food! The information I have gathered so far from websites and past travelers is that it is just over 1 mile from the pier. You can take the #10 bus (its called a jitney) from the pier or the straw market and just tell the driver you want to go to Fish Fry and it is one of the stops on their route. That costs $1.25 per person each way. You can also take a taxi for around $3.00 and it is a 5 minute ride. Or you can walk along the sand and it takes about 15 minutes. I have heard the best stands at the Fish Fry are Goldies, Two Brothers, and Oh Andros. I have also heard the best local food to try is conch fritters, conch salad, Sky Juice, Switcher, and Kalik (local beer). All of this is info I have gathered from other CC members who have been there so I can't speak from experience but hopefully that helps!

We've been to Nassau two other times prior to this upcoming cruise, and loved the Straw Market as well as Paradise Island. I had just heard about Fish Fry within this past month. Is it a safe place to go... appears to be but would like to hear from anyone who has been there.

Take a look at the ports of call section. Lots of info on that area there. Here is one comment I copied out of there for my own info.

I have never been but I am interested in visiting the Fish Fry on my upcoming trip so I will be anxious to see peoples responses on the quality of the food! The information I have gathered so far from websites and past travelers is that it is just over 1 mile from the pier. You can take the #10 bus (its called a jitney) from the pier or the straw market and just tell the driver you want to go to Fish Fry and it is one of the stops on their route. That costs $1.25 per person each way. You can also take a taxi for around $3.00 and it is a 5 minute ride. Or you can walk along the sand and it takes about 15 minutes. I have heard the best stands at the Fish Fry are Goldies, Two Brothers, and Oh Andros. I have also heard the best local food to try is conch fritters, conch salad, Sky Juice, Switcher, and Kalik (local beer). All of this is info I have gathered from other CC members who have been there so I can't speak from experience but hopefully that helps!

Thanks for this info!

The Fish Fry is a row of casual restaurants. There isn't any shopping in that area.

We've been there for lunch and enjoyed it a lot. We ate at Goldie's. Twin Brothers and few others also get good reviews.

It's about 1 1/2 miles from the port. You can walk there but I don't know if you'll want to in June. It will be very hot. You can take a taxi or the #10 jitney for just a few dollars.

I just posted some pictures of the Fish Fry over on the Bahamas forum, if you're interested.

Enjoy!

I go to the fish fry every time I`m in Nassau. I am a fan of Twin Brothers...yummm.

Like others have said, you can either take a cab or the #10 jitney. The last time I did this, it was $1.00 per person each way.

If it`s your first time going there and you take the #10, I would make sure to ask the driver to let you know when you get there and let you off. The first time I went, I almost missed it as we went speeding by. LOL Lucky for me my GF was paying attention and asked the driver to stop. :)

Just remember when you get off the jitney to look the wrong way to cross the street. They drive on the left as you probably know so the traffic comes from the other way and sometimes there's a lot more traffic than at other times. It always feels odd to look the wrong way before crossing.

I ate at some little place in the corner...red snapper?? maybe. I think it was some sort of "snapper". A woman and her little boy (it was a weekend) ran the place...he's probably not so little any more.

If you end up there on a Sunday, go well after noon. Most of the places won't be open until a while after church lets out.

Pay your dollar when you get OFF the jitney, not as you get on.

Gina

We took a taxi over to Fish Fry the last time we were in the Bahamas. We thought that it wouldn't be a problem when we wanted to go back to the ship. Wrong!! We tried to catch the #10 bus-waited forever in the terrible heat and when it finally arrived it was full and I mean full-no room at all. Then we walked back to the area where we ate and tried to find a taxi. No luck. We asked a local if there was a way to call for a taxi-nope. Finally we just waited until a taxi came bringing folks over and we got a ride back with him. It took over an hour in awful heat to find a ride back to the ship.

So if I ever go again I will try to arrange for the taxi that takes me over also comes back to get me in an hour or so, giving me time to eat or whatever.

We enjoyed it however it took forever to get our food after we ordered. I think we were at Goldie's.

Archived