Text Messaging Device

Lailalyn

Does anyone know of a device they sell onboard in the gift shops that you can stay in touch with other members of your party by text messaging while aboard the ship?

Thanks Nancy

I've not seen anything like that being sold on a ship. You can use post it notes and leave messages on the cabin phones. Ships aren't that big that you lose people.

Some bring walkie talkie, but those don't always work well, and they can't be taken off the ship. Plus, if used wrong they can be a pain to those around you.

Some phones you have can text, and it costs about $0.50 each send. Not seen anything on the ship for 'local' sending/receiving. As to walkie-talkies...we tried them and they are a pain. Didn't work in many areas, and really didn't need them - did just fine without constant contact. And walkie-talkies can be a real pain for those around you.

There have been threads on them, but I just haven't seen them on the ship, mainly because people figure out how to communicate just fine without them - the ships aren't that big - and most people realize how intrusive they can be. Subjetive opinon.

Denny

I've not seen anything like that being sold on a ship. You can use post it notes and leave messages on the cabin phones. Ships aren't that big that you lose people.

Some bring walkie talkie, but those don't always work well, and they can't be taken off the ship. Plus, if used wrong they can be a pain to those around you.

Why can't your personal walkie talkie be taken off the ship?

Why can't your personal walkie talkie be taken off the ship?

Because they use the same frequencies that the locals use for police, fire fighters, and in some cases the military. You can be arrested if using them in some countries.

Thanks for the replies friends came back from a cruise on RC in April and said they noticed these little text thingies being sold in a gift shop on the end of their trip and they could of been helpful since they were cruising with a large group. It must be something very new.

Nancy

Because they use the same frequencies that the locals use for police, fire fighters, and in some cases the military. You can be arrested if using them in some countries.

Wow, I didn't know that. Do you know in which countries they are banned. I have used them in Spain and Portugal with no problem. I am looking at Italy, Tukey and Greece. Do you know about these countries?

Wow, I didn't know that. Do you know in which countries they are banned. I have used them in Spain and Portugal with no problem. I am looking at Italy, Tukey and Greece. Do you know about these countries?

Technically, they're illegal in all countries, but you have to be really careful in countries like Turkey and Greece. You do NOT want to take them off the ship at all.

I have cruised numerous times with my children. We purchased walkie talkies at radio shack that work great. Occasionally you will pick up other passengers on the ship, but they have multiple channels so you just need to find one that is clear, also some channels are reserved for official and emergency use but the owners manual will explain all that. In terms of them being a bother to others I didnt find that at all. My kids knew the appropriate time to use them and we kept communication to a minimum.

If you use your cell phone onboard to text another person on ship, with same plan, does it cost ? Is it like making a phone call from your cell while onboard?

I don't think text messages are covered under the no-charge within the cellular company programs. Phone calls are definitely not included as they are considered international roaming on the ship so cell phone to cell phone will run $2.50/min, or more, on EACH phone. The text rates depend on your cellular carrier. On AT&T text messages are $0.50 each to send from the cruise ship and messages received are based on your "home" rate for text messages. Since we have an unlimited plan at home we're only charged for messages sent. click here for the ATT page that has the rates at the bottom of the page.

I'd recommend just using your cell phones for texting. But with that said one of the times we tried this the messages didn't come through to my phone, or did a few hours later. Interestingly enough when we discovered this we tried sending messages through from my phone to my wife's and they came through immediately. So these might not be able to be relied on all the time.

Interesting- we used them in France, Italy, Turkey, Greece & Caribbean-never had a problem or confiscation. Which countries are affected?

Carole

Technically, if they're made for the US market, you're not supposed to use them outside the US in ANY country. They are illegal everywhere. You're lucky you've never interfered with, or heard any kind of military information on those things, as it would cause you some really big trouble.

I may be wrong, but I had thought that when you use Text Only through your phone, you are not charged the calling per minute use, but only the Text Charges, which for example for AT&T is $0.50 per text messsage. And for receiving is dependant on your program set up (I have 200 free texts and so on). But you aren't charged the $2.49/min to send a text, only the 50cents per text.

If I'm wrong and someone knows for sure I'm wrong, please post. But that is how I read my recent charges when we were in Europe on Solstice, but you know how 'confusing' bills can be interpreting them.

Denny

I may be wrong, but I had thought that when you use Text Only through your phone, you are not charged the calling per minute use, but only the Text Charges, which for example for AT&T is $0.50 per text messsage. And for receiving is dependant on your program set up (I have 200 free texts and so on). But you aren't charged the $2.49/min to send a text, only the 50cents per text.

If I'm wrong and someone knows for sure I'm wrong, please post. But that is how I read my recent charges when we were in Europe on Solstice, but you know how 'confusing' bills can be interpreting them.

Denny

This is exactly right.

Text charges are 50 cents to send and costs to receive are based on your normal "at home" plan - so there is no charge to receive a message on the ship if you wouldn't be charged for it if received at home. At least these are the rates with AT&T.

I tried to explain this above but sometimes I end up writing something more complicated than it seemed when I wrote it.

Archived