Banned List - call from Carnival

Ambrosia64

I havent cruised since 1993 with Carnival but planning on booking for Jan 2011. The new policy hasnt driven me to not book. When one owns a business you look out for what possibilities exist to make you go belly up. Having a fire onboard can easily stop revenue instantly not to mention life threatening possibilities. No one has mentioned that Carnivals insurance policy may dictate some of what they are now making policy about. Not all people take notice of frayed cords, leaving a hot iron on, etc... and some really couldn't care less unless it impacted themselves in a negative way.

Regarding fans, tell a women going thru menopause that she doesnt need a fan! While corded fans are not allowed they are allowing battery operated ones. Batteries can be picked up prior to embarking so if you fly in pick them up. And if you need more grab some in a port. The only thing that will make my cruise miserable is if I dont have fun and that's not going to happen because Carnival says its the fun ship!

Well I always take a hand held steamer and my curling iron. So if they want to take them away....go ahead....I will take my hard earned money and find another cruise line or another vacation!

We both know they arent going to take away your laptop and blackberry, lets be reasonable, the language is there to protect the corporation and give them ultimate say as to who comes aboard, after all it is their boat. Laptop with torn cords or something strange might be taken, but until that happens to ANYONE lets not jump to some conclusion that the evil corporation is out to get ya

I don't know they won't take them away. The problem arises when Carnival gives authority to people, like the rented security screeners, discretion to make these decisions. These are the same people who stand like bumps on a log on football fields during games and concerts. I know this from years of experience working with security at events. They are not Einsteins. They need to have clear guidelines or anything goes.

I don't know they won't take them away. The problem arises when Carnival gives authority to people, like the rented security screeners, discretion to make these decisions. These are the same people who stand like bumps on a log on football fields during games and concerts. I know this from years of experience working with security at events. They are not Einsteins. They need to have clear guidelines or anything goes.

Precisely,

And if you happen to be the unlucky one who has something like that confiscated, good luck getting Carnival to live up to the promises made by their customer service reps. They'll just quote you the policy and tell you there's nothing they can do. In the end, all that matter is the language of the policy.

You can take a power strip but obviously don't plug everything in and leave it in the entire trip! Seriously, though.. Going back to RCL because you can't bring a fan? Just in case you haven't noticed... RCL follows just about every policy and procedure Carnival does, it just takes them a few months to follow along... So have fun with them because chances are by your March cruise you won't be able to bring any of it on their ship either!

stop sweating the small **** and look forward to enjoying your cruise

why would you need a fan or power strip anyway.

And geez if you all cant afford a few drinks on your cruise stay home

A couple of years ago I wouldn't have understood the need for a fan, but, boy do I now!! The hot flashes/night sweats make sleeping miserable, and a fan can help. Sleeping through a hot flash is impossible, and the fan helps me get back to sleep faster.

I do not want to go on a cruise and spend most of every night sleepless when I could rest more comfortably with a fan.

And I checked out a battery-operated fan and it's pitiful. So I'm bringing a small fan along with an extension cord so it'll reach. I hope I am allowed to be able to rest at night better.

So, just because you don't understand the need for a fan doesn't mean you can patronize people.

Shay

I havent cruised since 1993 with Carnival but planning on booking for Jan 2011. The new policy hasnt driven me to not book. When one owns a business you look out for what possibilities exist to make you go belly up. Having a fire onboard can easily stop revenue instantly not to mention life threatening possibilities. No one has mentioned that Carnivals insurance policy may dictate some of what they are now making policy about. Not all people take notice of frayed cords, leaving a hot iron on, etc... and some really couldn't care less unless it impacted themselves in a negative way.

Regarding fans, tell a women going thru menopause that she doesnt need a fan! While corded fans are not allowed they are allowing battery operated ones. Batteries can be picked up prior to embarking so if you fly in pick them up. And if you need more grab some in a port. The only thing that will make my cruise miserable is if I dont have fun and that's not going to happen because Carnival says its the fun ship!

Are you a woman going through menopause???

If not, don't tell me I don't need a fan. If so, tell me how you sleep through hot flashes/night sweats. I've checked out the battery operated fan. It doesn't blow enough air.

Shay

If not, don't tell me I don't need a fan. If so, tell me how you sleep through hot flashes/night sweats. I've checked out the battery operated fan. It doesn't blow enough air.

Shay

I understand what you are going through, but darn it, I don't want your fan with an extension cord causing a problem that will cut off power to the ship or something equally as bad or worse.

Before you get all ticked off at me, I have the same problem. I live in an air-conditioned house and have the overhead fan on at night, but still have the hot flashes etc. I get out from under the sheet and then when things cool off, I am back under the sheet. Also, not sleeping with my husband near me helps a lot. I' ve learned to live with things the way they are as have millions of others.

This next part is not addressed to you Shay.

I personally think a lot of people are making a big deal out of things that if they thought about them would not do them at home or in a hotel. I am not saying that you would plug in everything you own into one outlet, but on a ship each cabin has basically one outlet so why do people need to plug in a curling iron and camera at the same time? Or other things at the same time. Sorry, but I have been on over 75 cruises and have not needed a power strip.

I do understand those who use CPAP or BIPAP machines that they might need something so they can use their machines at night and perhaps recharge a camera at night, but most of the things I have seen could be done on one outlet used at different times of the day. JMO. I am ready to be flamed, as my opinion is not the same as most posters.

Shay

Sixteen years ago I had a total hysterectomy. I spent many previous years, & on occasion now, have such severe hotflashes my husband swears he can fry a egg on my head. Poor hubby has learned to layer at night as either the airconditioner is at full speed or the fan is directly on me. Only way I can sleep. I understand the policies but executives do not understand each individual and what their personal needs are. Therefore, we as individuals have to find ways to adapt, which for me, will be bringing batteries or a extension cord. While not in the room I will store everything away so no problems shall occur.

suddenly everyone is a electrical engineer :D

more likely this could be a insurance issue..CCL responding to

a onboard inspection by some insurance inspector..who has

no knowlege about how smart us cruiser are..:p

As a matter of fact I do have a degree in electrical and electronics. IT IS A MATTER OF SAFETY OF ALL!!

I bought a battery operated fan, It takes two D cell batteries, the manufacturer is 2 Cool, and I got it at Walmart. Why? Because I have had a balcony prior to this next cruise(inside) and I like moving air. :) I smoke(bad bad person) :pand want the air around me moving and clearing out. The battery life in this fan is 72 hours. Now if I go to bed at 11, and I get out for coffee at 7, that 5 nights of cleaner air, right. That's why I like a fan. It's in lieu of opening that wonderful balcony door. That said, I never know why someone needed a blow dryer.. so there you are.:rolleyes:

As a contractor I can tell you that all the smoke will not exit the room even with a fan .

Part of it will seep into the walls as well as your curtains in your cabin. In less than a years time your cabin will be intoxicated with tobacco,even priming and repainting will not detox the cabin.

It may smell OK with what the Stewart sprays into the room .

But it still enters the next passengers lungs .

Why would anyone need a power strip? Oh - let's see my fiancee and I both like to charge our cellphones and he has a CPAP machine for instance.

Why would anyone need a fan? Several people have explained that one. As for our one friend that travels with us (and who started me cruising) he sleeps with one blowing in his face due to mild apnea.

It's not small stuff. As the policy stands they can confiscate any electronic device that a random employee wishes to - cellphones, laptops, anything.

stop sweating the small **** and look forward to enjoying your cruise

why would you need a fan or power strip anyway.

And geez if you all cant afford a few drinks on your cruise stay home

I didn't call him a liar - I asked him to reference the law so I could look it up. After he refused to put anything in writing I did ask him to bump it to a supervisor and I sent email to that effect too.

Since foreign flagged cruise ships aren't subject to most US laws, any time a Carnival employee of any rank tries to hide behind that lame excuse, it is certainly fair to call them a liar and ask for their supervisor.

And here is proof of the problem. None of them can agree -and the rules are too vague.

This is directly from the email that I got that prompted the call:

From : Guest Solutions Support <guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com> Subject : Re: Existing Individual Reservation <<edited out>> To : edited out

Tue, May 18, 2010 02:34 PM p {margin-bottom: 0; margin-top: 0;} new_talisma_header.gif

Hi (edited),

Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

In regards to your concerns, Cell phones, laptops and curling irons are not prohibited items house hold fans and power strips are. Please see the information below.

And then in the call he told me that laptops, cellphones, cameras etc are not prohibited by can be confiscated at any time during the cruise if not 'used with proper caution' - I asked him to put in writing what 'proper caution' was or was not - and he refused.

Perhaps you should send the individual in question this list which is direct from Carnival's web site and was added Saturday:

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates

Power strips are NOT banned...

I work in a call center of a $3.5 billion dollar company - I know customer service. The guy was a liar - plain and simple.

I don't use a fan, a friend of ours does - he's always taken one on every cruise and he's done about 50 of them. A fan definitely has a place on a ship - you know how many people can't sleep without their fan?

I would be pissed if I had to deal with you as a supervisor, its a fan, has no place on the ship. I manage a team of customer service reps and I know your type, all I can say is enjoy RCI!

And therein is a big part of the problem - the email that Carnival sent me said specifically that they are BANNED

from the email:

Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

In regards to your concerns, Cell phones, laptops and curling irons are not prohibited items house hold fans and power strips are. Please see the information below.

Not according to Carnival's website:

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates.

Why don't you ask the women with hot flashes. The people who use them for white noise and can't sleep without them. Or the people that have mild apnea that use them?

It is so damn cold on these ships especially at night why would anyone want a fan???

Yes, according to the email and the phone call and the website - it's exceptionally vague and your laptops could be confiscated at any time.

We've already seen that what the website says and what the customer service dept says conflict.

And - you won't be permitted a surge protector power strip to plug your laptops in - so if there's a surge - you're screwed.

So based on what Mach posted,my husband and I both bringing our laptops on board could pose a concern? The language can be interpreted many ways. The real problem is Carnival is allowing their employees to use their discretion in making decisions on how to handle items under miscellaneous concerns. Laptops are expensive pieces of electronics, as are mobile phones like a Blackberry. Why would these items be a "miscellaneous concern" to Carnival. Don't they make enough money off of internet charges?

No, you don't know that. People don't want to be standing at the pier forced to choose between handing over their laptop and blackberry (possibly employer owned) or be denied boarding.

There's absolutely no reason they can't be clearer - including who has the right to confiscate and on what basis.

We both know they arent going to take away your laptop and blackberry, lets be reasonable, the language is there to protect the corporation and give them ultimate say as to who comes aboard, after all it is their boat. Laptop with torn cords or something strange might be taken, but until that happens to ANYONE lets not jump to some conclusion that the evil corporation is out to get ya

Who says a fan would overheat? And a power strip would solve a lot of that. And yes - power strips are banned according to the email from them. So who is the person at the port gonna follow? The website? The email? Make up their own rules?

Come on people just a little common sense.

You have 1500 cabins and each one may have a different kind of fan/power strip. Many could be from different countries. If Carnival sees that they may be a hazard they have the right to take them for the duration of the trip.

Also consider some idiot that brings an 220V to 110V prong adapter and plugs in a fan. The fan would overheat and could catch fire. (Most electronics with adapters are designed to work from a 220V source)

As far as I know cabins do NOT have GFI protection so a short could take out the electricity for multiple cabins.

My bet is Carnival will not take it away if you have a UL approved power strip with no frayed cord and a fuse.

There is NO indication this has anything to do with insurance. For god's sake - they still allow smoking inside cabins on Carnival!

According to the customer service, in writing, you can NOT take a power strip with you. That's part of the problem - anyone can make up any rule.

Our friend that uses the fan for apnea won't cruise with Carnival now - and Royal has allowed him a fan on all 22 cruises he's taken with them. He can't sleep without it.

As for me and my fiancee - we won't go unless they are more specific and less restrictive. It's not about a fan - it's about cellphones, curling irons, blackberries, laptops, etc. And I won't be standing on a pier with some low level employee telling me I have to hand over my laptop/camera/whatever or I can't board.

And Royal doesn't always follow Carnival by any stretch.

You can take a power strip but obviously don't plug everything in and leave it in the entire trip! Seriously, though.. Going back to RCL because you can't bring a fan? Just in case you haven't noticed... RCL follows just about every policy and procedure Carnival does, it just takes them a few months to follow along... So have fun with them because chances are by your March cruise you won't be able to bring any of it on their ship either!

NOpe, you're not - and they put it in writing to me - in an email - and told me so on the phone.

you are allowed to bring electric fans on board. Don't you all read.

give it a rest already. Read carnival.com and you will get all the answers to your questions.

end of subject. Forever......

Archived