Cooler/Freezer in JS?

Never cruised before, and I will be bringing a gel wrap for a problem knee on our cruise. We are in a JS on the FOS. Will the refrig./cooler in the room have some sort of freezer where I can keep the gel pack frozen? If not, how should I handle this?

The refrig, alone, in your room will not be enough to do that. Explain to your cabin attendant that you will need a certain amount of ice to keep your gel wrap frozen.

IF you have a good cabin person, you should be OK. We suggest you store your gel wrap, in ice, in the refrig. We have experience with gel wraps. Take a few plastic bags with you.

Rick and Deirdra

I guess calling it a 'cooler' is legal since it is slightly cooler than the cabin. But not by much. Definitely no freezer. You will need to use the ice approach.

Never cruised before, and I will be bringing a gel wrap for a problem knee on our cruise. We are in a JS on the FOS. Will the refrig./cooler in the room have some sort of freezer where I can keep the gel pack frozen? If not, how should I handle this?

Sailed on the Mariner in Sept (Mexico Riv)..had a JS....the cooler..well...if it ran 2 degrees cooler then room temp I would be surprised...searched all over and couldn't find any way of 'adjusting' it or even verifying it was 'on'.

Although my room steward assured me it was 'on' 24/7--the look in her eyes told me this was not a new 'issue' and as front line staff something she have no control over but got stuck dealing with.

I've stayed in a couple of JS's...and the fridge isn't really that cold...let alone very big. Using ICE sounds like a good idea. You may also want to call RCCL (like a medical or special needs department) before you sail and ask what they can offer you. Maybe you can take 2 gel packs and have them always keep one in a freezer for you, etc... Or maybe they have something there in the medical department on the ship that they can offer you. Not sure...good luck though!!

If your fridge is not very cold check it out for ice build up. We had one that was not cold so we took everything out and discovered a huge build up of ice in the top of the back of the fridge. We worked on it, used a hair dryer to help melt it and it was very cold after that.

Since then we always check it first thing when we get in the room.

Also, the fridge is in a cabinet...if you can keep the cabinet door open, it will help with airflow...and it will stay cooler.

Bring an icepack, not the gel things....your attendant will keep you stocked with ice and you can use that!

I've stayed in a couple of JS's...and the fridge isn't really that cold...let alone very big. Using ICE sounds like a good idea. You may also want to call RCCL (like a medical or special needs department) before you sail and ask what they can offer you. Maybe you can take 2 gel packs and have them always keep one in a freezer for you, etc... Or maybe they have something there in the medical department on the ship that they can offer you. Not sure...good luck though!!

Great Suggestions! Thanks, I will make that call!

Also, the fridge is in a cabinet...if you can keep the cabinet door open, it will help with airflow...and it will stay cooler.

Bring an icepack, not the gel things....your attendant will keep you stocked with ice and you can use that!

Another great idea, thank you.:rolleyes:

My gel pack was easy to take out of it's soft fabric cover that had big velcro strips on the ends... so I took quart sized ziplocks from home and filled them with half way with ice - stuck it inside my handy dandy cover thingy and velcro-d it to my neck..! Last month's cruise on Oasis while I enjoyed some Ruptured Disc fun!! I also used "some" ice and "some" water mixed- all ice was too hard to strap around my skinny neck and the iced water was faster relief...!! :eek:

Pack some extra gallon ziplocks for the time off the ship... EVERY BAR has ice and you can relax with a frosty beverage and put your leg up...! GREAT excuse to stop in the Pub..!! I can feel my neck starting to act up too...:eek:

P.S. Those fridges are just NOT that cold...!

My gel pack was easy to take out of it's soft fabric cover that had big velcro strips on the ends... so I took quart sized ziplocks from home and filled them with half way with ice - stuck it inside my handy dandy cover thingy and velcro-d it to my neck..! Last month's cruise on Oasis while I enjoyed some Ruptured Disc fun!! I also used "some" ice and "some" water mixed- all ice was too hard to strap around my skinny neck and the iced water was faster relief...!! :eek:

Pack some extra gallon ziplocks for the time off the ship... EVERY BAR has ice and you can relax with a frosty beverage and put your leg up...! GREAT excuse to stop in the Pub..!! I can feel my neck starting to act up too...:eek:

P.S. Those fridges are just NOT that cold...!

Hey, WedNoMor, I really like your idea about stopping at the bars onshore and getting ice for my knee...and a little something else for me!

Archived