A HAL newbie...

elena7seas

I am a frequent Celebrity cruiser who has been very happy with all of my Celebrity cruises.

I will be taking my first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam in fall. I currently have a SY midships, but we can get an SC for $50 per person per day. Is it worth the money to upgrade?

I know almost nothing about HAL or the Zuiderdam. :o

Can anyone tell me what time we will be able to go aboard in Vancouver? We usually board our Celebrity ships at about 11:30 am.

Welcome to the HAL board!!

Providing everything has gone as planned with the previous cruise (no code red, everyone cleared customs on time), you should be able to board around 11:30. You probably won't be able to go to your cabin until early afternoon, so you will be routed to the Lido when you board the ship.

As far as perks for the SC, only you can determine if the extra money is worth it. Here they are - if I've forgotten some I hope someone will add them.

- when you board the ship instead of going to the Lido with your luggage you can go to the Neptune Lounge and store your bags there until your cabin is ready.

- use of the Neptune Lounge. Little snacks, beverages, associates to make reservations for you

- free laundry and drycleaning for the cruise

- Suite luncheon only for deluxe suite guests - the one I went to was very, very good

-you can have breakfast in the Pinnacle (nice, quiet relaxing breakfast)

-corsage and boutineere for the first formal night

-free appetizers each night delivered to your stateroom, just ask

I'm sure I'm forgetting something - the HAL website has a list

Fot the room -

- larger verandah

- extra dressing area with vanity, mirror, stool. This is where the hairdryer is so you're not drying your hair in the middle of the room

We were in 7088 on the Oosterdam and loved the layout because it's a little different than most. When you walk into the cabin it is very open to the whole room. There are 3 closets in the main cabin plus 3 more in the dressing area. Wonderful setup, very spacious. This cabin has the angled balcony. I'm not sure I liked it but my husband loved it.

Boarding will usually begin around 11:30 -- cabins are usually ready around 1:30 -- am amouncement will be made when they are ready.

If you can afford the extra $50 per person to upgrade to an SC -- I would do it.

Suite Perks

All PS, SA, SB and SC categories:

Separate check-in line at embarkation

Personalized stationary

Use of the Neptune Lounge and the concierges

Boutonniere and corsage for the first formal night

Free laundry, free pressing, free dry cleaning

Priority tendering

Priority disembarkation

Free use of binoculars

Free use of a large umbrella

MAYBE a private suite cocktail party in the Neptune Lounge

MAYBE an invitation to a VIP party

Maybe a suite buffet or sit down lunch -- depends on itinerary and HM/Captain

Free bottle of champagne compliments of the HM and captain

Breakfast in the Pinnacle or King’s Room (depends on the ship)

Free DVD use

Some ships also have a complimentary bottle of VOSS water -- it is an Artisian well water from Norway.

Some people have reported that they did not get the bottles of champagne -- compliments of the captain and hotel manager.

We love the Neptune Lounge -- great place to have a quick breakfast if you want to get an early start on shore for excursions. The Neptune Lounge is open from 7 AM until 8 PM. Continental breakfast is served from 7 AM - 11 PM (some ships even have a toaster for bagels, breads, English Muffins) -- there are pastries, rolls, fresh fruit, yogurt, meats, cheese, orange juice, and a great coffee machine to make regular coffee, cappacinos, lattes (available all day). From 11 until 5 several kinds of tea sandwiches and wraps, cookies, pound cake, candies are available. At 5 cold appetizers are available.

If you're on that 3-day non-stop from Vancouver to San Francisco, you probably won't need much laundry or dry cleaning done, you won't need the Neptune concierges to set up any excursions, you won't need priority tendering, you may not have a formal night for a corsage/boutonnière, and you probably won't need an umbrella. So is it worth $300 to you to have more space in the cabin, snacks in the Neptune lounge, priority disembarkation, and possibly a cocktail party and/or lunch?

One more question...

Is there a website anywhere (like www sea scanner dot com for Celebrity, RCCL, etc.), where you can see all of the available HAL staterooms shown on deck plans?

No. But you can go to many of the large on-line TA sites and see up to 6 cabins in a given class that are available.

Archived