Canada Place - Skytrain from YVR

Your new pier is about a km away from Canada Place. Best and only other than a transfer is a taxi. It is an industrial area with no tourist facilities at all other than at the actual terminal which are only minimal and actually this year cause it has not been used it may have even less.

Lucky you :)

My emarkation port as changed for Canada Place to Ballantyne. Can anyone tell me about this port? How far is it form the Executive hotel? What is the best mens of transporttion to get to the port from the hotel?

Help! My cruise leaves in 11 days.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.280516,-123.095369&spn=0.027996,0.077419&z=14

Ballantyne is about 1½ miles east of Canada Place (check out the map above). It's located in an industrial area, and would recommend you just take a taxi from your hotel (my downtown office to Ballantyne was just over $10 last time I did it). I highly recommend against walking/busing it as it's both awkward to get into the facility on foot, and in a rather run-down area often described as Canada's poorest postal code.

And which Executive hotel are you staying at? There's a whole bunch of them, and if you're at one of the more remote ones, I would recommend taking the Skytrain a little closer before grabbing a taxi to save some$

• 4 weeks later...
Allow me ...given I took the pictures

map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.233068,-123.037949&spn=0.177554,0.528374&z=12

photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation

At YVR simply follow the crowd of people toward the car park out of the international arrivals. As soon as you cross the street, take the elevator or escalator to the top floor (of the car park), which is where the station is. Skytrain takes you all the way downtown to 'Waterfront Station'. At the final stop, DON'T follow the mass crowd down the hallway, but do a 180 and there's an elevator/stairs "Exit to Granville Street", take that and you're at the corner of Granville and W.Hastings. From there you should be able to see your ship at Canada Place (which will be 2 blocks north, 1 west of where you are). This particular photos shows you what I mean, that's the exit to the street: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#5371860022220047170

Hi scottbee,

I just wanted to thank you again for your help with the Sky Train. We arrived in Vancouver YVR on Sunday and followed your directions. It was super easy! We purchased our tickets and got on the train and no one ever collected our tickets.

We wanted to take some wine on board, so went to Harbor Centre for the BC Liquor store, but it was Sunday and it was closed. We did not have time to look around for an open store.

We hope to do another coastal cruise next year and will try and arrive a day or two pre-cruise so we can enjoy the beautiful Vancouver area.

THANKS for your great help!

• 6 months later...

Scottbee: Fantastic pictorial and information! I am planning to use Canada Line after my cruise and I really like to see first hand how to get where I am going. I can't thank you enough for your post.

Scottbee: Fantastic pictorial and information! I am planning to use Canada Line after my cruise and I really like to see first hand how to get where I am going. I can't thank you enough for your post.

Not a problem.

Since I first posted the pictorial, they've done a sneaky thing and charge a $5 "Airport supplement" on single tickets bought at the airport (making one way to downtown $8.75). If you're going to be using transit once you're in Vancouver (for sightseeing it's an excellent way to get around), go to the 7-11 in the airport and buy a book of 10 two-zone "faresaver" tickets for $31.50; there's no 'airport supplement'

I'm planning on taking this from the ship to the airport after my cruise. How are tickets purchased? Are there machines or an actual live ticket agent? I'm assuming that if it is by machine that means Canadian dollars only?

machines are only options I believe in the Waterfront area. Take our money only as you surmised but you can use your credit card. Make sure you pick the "CANADA LINE" and then every other train on that line goes direct to the airport. (If you happen to get on wrong one switch at "RiverRock")

Still wearing that old hat Doug ? :D

Bob

Edited by LeftcoastBC

• 3 weeks later...

Worked like a charm. We disembarked Sunday at Canada Place about 8:50a and easily walked with our luggage (2 suitcases, 1 rolling carry on and a backpack) up to Cordova, turned left for a block and a half, bought our tickets at the machine and got right on the beautiful Sky Train to YVR. Could not have been easier. Thanks again to Scottbee for posting the pictorial.

Worked like a charm. We disembarked Sunday at Canada Place about 8:50a and easily walked with our luggage (2 suitcases, 1 rolling carry on and a backpack) up to Cordova, turned left for a block and a half, bought our tickets at the machine and got right on the beautiful Sky Train to YVR. Could not have been easier. Thanks again to Scottbee for posting the pictorial.

Glad to hear it went well for you.

• 3 years later...
Is there a way to buy a 2 zone ticket for use from the airport anywhere else? Maybe prior to arrival?

Just curious...

Thanks!

No, there is no mail ordering of tickets. If you are traveling with a small group and are returning to YVR there may be economy in purchasing a book of 10 FareSaver tickets at the Pharmasave or 7-11 in the Domestic part of the terminal. The booklet of 10 two zone costs $31.50.

Edited by Putterdude

• 1 year later...

Help me with my math and info... it's past midnight :D

There are 3 of us adults, and we're flying in on a Sunday and returning on a Sunday.

If I buy a 10-ticket Faresaver for 1 zone (because Sundays are only 1 zone), it's $21. I can validate and use 3 tickets and not have to pay the $5/pp surcharge leaving the airport. The following Sunday, I will validate and use another 3 tickets.

That means $21 if I buy the Faresaver or $31.50 if I buy separately ($5 + $2.75 + $2.75 x 3 adults).

Did I get anything wrong? I'm flying in from SF, so we'll be in the international terminal. Where exactly do I buy the Faresaver pack from? I know it's 7/11, etc., but where are they in the airport? Anything else I should know? Thanks!

Congratulations, you have passed the Translink math test!:D

The Faresaver ticket booklets can be purchased in the 7-11 or the Pharmasave both of which is located on level 1 of the Domestic Area of the terminal outside of security.

Congratulations, you have passed the Translink math test!:D

The Faresaver ticket booklets can be purchased in the 7-11 or the Pharmasave both of which is located on level 1 of the Domestic Area of the terminal outside of security.

Thank you, Putterdude! :)

• 1 month later...

I thought I read that the tickets were changing in 2015.

We bought the book of 10 at the 7-11 in the airport last summer so we didnt have to pay the extra "tax" to go downtown from the airport

Extra tips:

1. On weekdays after 6:30 pm and all day on weekends, you can use "one zone" tickets for anywhere,

2. also each ticket can be used for 90 minutes (which means you can use to go on a fast errand or restaurant and then use the same ticket back , if within 90 minutes))

I thought I read that the tickets were changing in 2015.

We bought the book of 10 at the 7-11 in the airport last summer so we didnt have to pay the extra "tax" to go downtown from the airport

Extra tips:

1. On weekdays after 6:30 pm and all day on weekends' date=' you can use "one zone" tickets for anywhere,

2. also each ticket can be used for 90 minutes (which means you can use to go on a fast errand or restaurant and then use the same ticket back , if within 90 minutes))[/quote']

Yup, tickets are still valid. New system officially launches by the end of the year - but even assuming it does *actually* launch on time now they've given up on buses working correctly (another bonus - all bus trips, regardless of length, zones crossed, or time of day, will be single Zone until this issue is resolved - if ever...) you will still be able to use old-style tickets until the machines are removed - offhand I can't remember a deadline being specified, only a comment that when the old tickets do cease to be valid you'll be able to cash them in for their value on the new cards.

TL;DR - You can use them this year, and any left over you can reinvest on Compass system on a future visit.