Has anyone disembarked from a HAL ship in Rio?

Liv4cruzin

I have a specific question regarding the HAL transfers between the ship & airport in Rio de Janeiro. A good number of the flights back to the U.S. are overnight, departing in late afternoon or evening. Does the cruise line airport transfer include a half day "sightseeing" excursion? Or is something like this offered as a paid excursion to help kill part of the day prior to your flight?

If one is offered, do you remember exactly what you saw? For example, did you visit Corcovado Mountain? Was it a drive by or an actual mountaintop visit?? Anything else?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

We disembarked in Rio about 5 years ago so my recollection is a bit hazy. But, as I remember, we spent the day in Rio and went Corcovado. It was not just a drive by; we went to the top of the mountain. I am sure it was a paid excursion arranged through HAL. We also ate at a nice resturant before getting to the air port. I don't remember what time we left, but it was a night flight that went through Sao Paulo where everyone had to get up and change seats. Don't ask me why.

Yes - you can choose one of about three different excursions in Rio on departure day. There is a standard drive around the city in a bus and a couple more active ones. The cruise line delivers your baggage to the airport and you meet up with it at the end of your tour.

Thank you both for your replies. This info is helplful.

Due to time restraints, a post cruise stay in Rio is iffy. I was hoping there would be a way to see a quick overview since there would be many hours to kill waiting for departure flight. At the least I was hoping for a drive by of Ipanema Beach & to catch the views from atop Corcovado & Sugar Loaf Mts.

If anyone else still has the list/description of tour options that are available, I would forever be indebted if they would share this info. Thanks again.

If anyone else still has the list/description of tour options that are available, I would forever be indebted if they would share this info. Thanks again.
Have you looked at the HAL site? The information is there. When looking at the itinerary just click on 'view shore excursions for this cruise'.

2003 the last time we disembarked in Rio. HAL transported us to a hotel. We could use the beach or other Hotel perks. There was a room set up for us with drinks and snacks. Some passengers went on tours others for a walk. Passengers had a choice to purchase a day room if they wished. Around 7:00 pm we boarded buses that took us to the airport. A nice day, but everyone seemed tired before we started our all night flight back to the USA. Take care.

When we disembarked in Rio, we took an all-day excursion to Petropolis, about a 2-hour ride up into the mountains. There is a palace in Petropolis which served as the summer home to the Portugese royalty when they ruled Brazil. It was a nice change of pace, a very scenic drive and much cooler and less crowded than down in Rio. The excursion also included a great lunch, too. Our luggage was sent straight to the airport from the pier and was waiting for us in a separate holding area at the terminal. It all worked out quite well.

Have you looked at the HAL site? The information is there. When looking at the itinerary just click on 'view shore excursions for this cruise'.

Boy, do I feel stupid now. It never dawned on me that post cruise "transfer excursions" would be listed w/ the regular shore excursions. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Boy, do I feel stupid now. It never dawned on me that post cruise "transfer excursions" would be listed w/ the regular shore excursions. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

It seems to me there was also a possibility to sign-up for a HAL hospitality room in a hotel to wait in before your flight.

Smooth sailing...

world-citizen,

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm sure there would be something like that available. My goal was to at least see some of Rio w/o the investment of time & expense of a post cruise hotel pkg. HAL offers several options that will satisfy my curiosity & kill off a good part of departure day. Thank you everyone.

Archived