Super bummed with the upgrade fairy!!!

QueenYaYah

I accepted an upsell offer about two weeks ago from a Superior Suite to a Deluxe Suite for $299pp. At the time, there was only one Deluxe Suite cabin left, which was an SA, the one we upgraded to.

A few weeks before that, my TA called with the same offer (upgrade from a Superior Suite to Deluxe Suite for $299 pp) and while I was on the phone with him, that offer disappeared as there was only one Deluxe available at that time, an SC, which was apparently very quickly snapped up. That worked out well since the subsequent offer we accepted put us in an SA, so patience paid off.

My TA also told me that the May 30 Oosterdam is completely full so unless there is a cancellation, what you have been assigned is likely to be yours. An SS is still an excellent cabin and if it wasn't our 20th wedding anniversary, I probably would have saved the $600 or so and stayed in the SS we booked for the May 30 cruise.

Life's a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get:cool:

Unless of course you pay for it.:D Dream was to sail in SC5191 Vista ship... from my time spent on CC I knew the Upgrade Fairy is a very difficult lady to predict,,,waves her wand for some and turns her nose up for others...no one seems to know her reasoning... so we paid for the dream.

Happy for those the Fairy likes what a wonderful gift.... Just didn't think she'd ever get around to us so :p to you Upgrade Fairy ... we'll only do this once and we just couldn't wait for you.

Oh dear, I'm sure I'd really hate having a face appear just outside the verandah railing.

No wonder the OP remembers that. It won't happen to her for her upcoming cruise though. That's gotta be a relief.

Maybe closing the drapes if there is any chance someone is working on the lifeboats that day will be the best bet. You know, just until you have chosen your next outfit.

To the OP, I hope you enjoy your suite and your cruise and that whoever you are travelling with will also enjoy themselves.

Sounds like maybe you need a cruise:) and may it be a great memory maker for you.

You asked for words of wisdom: My feeling is that it's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Take a deep breathe and enjoy your blessings. Then put your fears aside and spread the joy.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was trying to say that the ship was full and I couldn't buy my way up. So the ship being full can matter.

And the point I was trying to make was that your not being able to move up possibly had nothing to do with the ship being full. Maybe a lot people on your cruise were able to buy upgrades ... and you just weren't one of them.

I don't know what percentage of cabins are sold as guarantees, but I would guess that even on a 90% full ship possibly not every guarantee could be upgraded. All that is needed is that there are more guarantees than unsold cabins, and somebody gets left out.

Oh dear, I'm sure I'd really hate having a face appear just outside the verandah railing.

No wonder the OP remembers that. It won't happen to her for her upcoming cruise though. That's gotta be a relief.

Maybe closing the drapes if there is any chance someone is working on the lifeboats that day will be the best bet. You know, just until you have chosen your next outfit.

I had a balcony one deck above the tenders on the Oosterdam last month. I happened to look out one afternoon and a crewman was standing there working. I noticed that he studiously avoided looking in the direction of the cabin doors as he worked. The experience didn't traumatize me to a point where I am afraid to have a balcony even four decks above the tenders. Good grief, even if he had caught a glimpse he wouldn't have seen anything he hadn't seen before.:)

I had a balcony one deck above the tenders on the Oosterdam last month. I happened to look out one afternoon and a crewman was standing there working. I noticed that he studiously avoided looking in the direction of the cabin doors as he worked. The experience didn't traumatize me to a point where I am afraid to have a balcony even four decks above the tenders. Good grief, even if he had caught a glimpse he wouldn't have seen anything he hadn't seen before.:)

And that reminds me of a joke often told by the cruise director (and I'm not saying you're an old lady, Sapper!;))

An old lady was standing at the railing of the cruise ship holding her hat on tight so that it would not blow off in the wind.

The cruise director approached her and said: "Pardon me, Madam. I do not intend to be forward, but did you know that your dress is blowing up in this high wind?"

"Yes, I know," said the lady, "I need both hands to hold onto this hat."

"But, Madam, you must know that in doing that, you are exposing your underwear!" said the cruise director in earnest.

The woman looked down, then back up at the CD and replied, "Sonny, anything you can see down there is 85 years old. The hat is brand new"

And the point I was trying to make was that your not being able to move up possibly had nothing to do with the ship being full. Maybe a lot people on your cruise were able to buy upgrades ... and you just weren't one of them.

That was the reason I was given for not being able to BUY an upgrade.....so I don't know what extra knowledge you have that I don't.

And that reminds me of a joke often told by the cruise director (and I'm not saying you're an old lady, Sapper!;))

An old lady was standing at the railing of the cruise ship holding her hat on tight so that it would not blow off in the wind.

"But, Madam, you must know that in doing that, you are exposing your underwear!" said the cruise director in earnest.

The woman looked down, then back up at the CD and replied, "Sonny, anything you can see down there is 85 years old. The hat is brand new"

The cruise director approached her and said: "Pardon me, Madam. I do not intend to be forward, but did you know that your dress is blowing up in this high wind?"

roflao! thanks, i needed that.

That's OK Copper-----I'd sacrifice my modesty to save my Tilley hat.:D:D

My wife and I were in 8083 in April to the Mexican Riveria. It was a great room with outstanding room stewards. You have a great view from the veranda and would have to go to the very edge and look straight down to even see a life boat. You will be fine.

Copper, that was a good one!:D

Sailing May 30, 2010 on the Oosterdam. I purchased a SY Guar. thinking that I would be happy with anything from this level up as long as I didn't get the ADA cabins. Well, I guess that I don't know myself as well as I thought. I did get an upgrade - first one ever - from the SY cat. to SS cat. cabin #8083! And I'm grateful for the upgrade, I was just really hoping that I would get upgraded to a SC - I know, me and everyone else. My biggest disappointment is that cabin #SS8083 is directly above the lifeboats!!! We sailed on the Zuiderdam back in 2006 and were in cabin #5101 - our view if we looked down just a bit was the top of the lifeboat (we even had a crew member pop up from one and he could see into our cabin). I know that I'm 4 decks above the lifeboats but if they had just given me 2 cabins to the left or right, but no, I'm dead center of the ***boat!

So, two questions - 1st, does anyone have experience with this cabin in particular? And 2nd, if I called HAL what are the odds of getting a different cabin.

I did call to see if once you had a cabin # was your room assignment a done deal - Hal lady said that "there was always a possibility for your cabin to be changed again" Has this happened to anyone else?

Sorry for the long post - any thoughts, advice or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

My only advice is that, if you really want a specific stateroom or area of the ship, book it. Don't book a guarantee.

I pour over the deck plans before finally choosing "just the right" stateroom...and then, specify, "no changes" please! So far, that's worked like a charm.

I choose the location I'd like to be and it's a done deal. DH is happy with whatever I choose.

:Dupgrade fairy can visit quite often BUT;) if you want to go the deluxe the fairy usually wants money - it's only fair since most people have already paid to be there.

here's my simple solution. I book the room I want (or sometimes, the room i can get in the category i want) on the assumption that the upgrade fairy might not come. even if you book your room, the upgrade fairy still visits, however all my offers have had a price tag attached, albeit a cheaper price tag than what would have been originally charged.

So here's my philosophy. book the room you want and then if they want to upgrade you you get the call :D and then you decide if you want to pay the money for the upgrade. but in either case you know where you are and where you are going to.just my thoughts and philosophy. It might cost more than a guarantee, but I like to know where I am going to be, especially on our next one a 20 day med repositioning. Jacqui

Archived