tea & coffee included?

justfoxie

Another question from moi, this one prompted by DH. We were both wondering if coffee and tea were included in our cabin price? Or is "plain" tea and brewed coffee included but you pay extra for nicer or special versions?

I guess we're mostly thinking about our princess cruise last summer where basic (twinings) tea and coffee o(pretty horrible, by DH's standrads) were included, but we could purchase a "coffee card" which was for a special brand of tea and espresso based drinks. Does Cunard do something similar?

Thanks again for all your insight!

Another question from moi, this one prompted by DH. We were both wondering if coffee and tea were included in our cabin price? Or is "plain" tea and brewed coffee included but you pay extra for nicer or special versions?

I guess we're mostly thinking about our princess cruise last summer where basic (twinings) tea and coffee o(pretty horrible, by DH's standrads) were included, but we could purchase a "coffee card" which was for a special brand of tea and espresso based drinks. Does Cunard do something similar?

Thanks again for all your insight!

Hi justfoxie, There is plenty of choice of different teas in Kings Court for free. You can get coffee as well, can't say if it is good because I did not have any there.

Sir Samuels serve special coffee, this has a charge. The lovely food served in there is free.

The coffee served in the Brittania restaurant is good and it is in with the price.

There is also tea and coffee stations dotted about the ship which you can just help yourself to.

Catherine

Have always found the generic coffee and tea on board to be fine - especially nice to have it as room service and take it on the balcony, and room service is extremely efficient.

Never had bottled water on board so don't know aout that one - and that has just struck me as very odd! Can't believe I've never had bottled water on board!

Is there also free bottled water available around the ship?

While bottled water is available, I've never seen it offered free of charge. You will find bottled water in your stateroom refigerator. A charge, plus additional service charge, is added for any beverages (water or soda) consumed from the refigerator. There is also a charge for bottled water consumed in the MDR.

On most voyages I've taken, secure dispensers containing cold water from the ship as well as disposable drinking cups were available at the dock and stations set up to receive the tenders from the ship. I've seen similar cold water dispensers in Kings Court. There was no additional charge for water from these dispensers. -S

So if you order tea, coffee, food, snacks etc, for room service is that an extra charge, and are you supposed to tip the guy who brings it?

No and No.

Although you may tip if you wish (a lot of Americans do, fewer Europeans though).

In the QG, bottled water is included in the price (I hate to say "free").

There is always plenty of orange juice in the Kings Court/Lido.

Stewart

Free water in QG!!! Oh heck, I didn't know that! For the amount of money I spend on bottled water in Britannia, I might as well book QG!:D

Stewart, is that OJ in Kings Court made from oranges? It looked like the stuff the astronauts drink in space. (Tang was the name of the product marketed years ago that bore a remarkable similarity to KC's OJ.) Anyway, I've never tried it so I shouldn't knock it :)

Cheers,

Salacia

Free water in QG!!! Oh heck, I didn't know that! For the amount of money I spend on bottled water in Britannia, I might as well book QG!:D

Stewart, is that OJ in Kings Court made from oranges? It looked like the stuff the astronauts drink in space. (Tang was the name of the product marketed years ago that bore a remarkable similarity to KC's OJ.) Anyway, I've never tried it so I shouldn't knock it :)

Cheers,

Salacia

The orange juice is made of oranges--most of the stuff is-- and I can assure you that Cunard does not use Tang. Why would you spend any amount of money on bottled water? It is not good for you!

The orange juice is made of oranges--most of the stuff is-- and I can assure you that Cunard does not use Tang. Why would you spend any amount of money on bottled water? It is not good for you!

That is good to know, thanks. I only drink orange juice made from oranges rather than juice drinks made from powder or frozen concentrates mixed with water, etc.

Just for clarification: I wrote that the orange juice in the dispensers looked like Tang, not that it was Tang. I didn't think Tang was manufactured anymore, but I googled it out of curosity and found that it is still made in the US and, in the UK it is marketed as Tango. Not terribly relevant, but an interesting factoid nontheless :)

When it comes to drinking water on board, there are only two options: drink the ships water or bottled water. For me, it is a matter of personal preference. As they say, different gulps for different folks. :D

Cheers,

Salacia

Thanks for the insight all! We're not really bottled water drinkers (don't see much of the point), so no fuss for us there, though I appreciate it seems to be really important to many.

Any comments on the quality of the coffee that comes included? If DH wanted say a double espresso at dinner, I would presume that comes with an additional charge? Can that be served in the dining room or would he need to discretely pop out to Sir Samuels to get it? Do they have a "coffee card" that he could purchase at the beginning of the cruise for this or should we just factor those individually into our budget?

Edited by justfoxie

Thanks for the insight all! We're not really bottled water drinkers (don't see much of the point), so no fuss for us there, though I appreciate it seems to be really important to many.

Any comments on the quality of the coffee that comes included? If DH wanted say a double espresso at dinner, I would presume that comes with an additional charge? Can that be served in the dining room or would he need to discretely pop out to Sir Samuels to get it? Do they have a "coffee card" that he could purchase at the beginning of the cruise for this or should we just factor those individually into our budget?

Hi Justfoxie,

The coffee that comes from (free) Room Service is cafetière coffee and really is not too bad at all. It does sometimes tend to be a little on the strong side, so when ordering simply ask for a jug of hot water to be delivered with it, so that you can dilute it if too strong for your taste.

Any coffee served in the restaurant after dinner is included (free), so your DH ordering a large (double) or a very large (Treble) espresso is not going to cost!. There is no 'Coffee Card' available, as all coffee is included - apart from the speciality coffees in Sir Samuels.

Hope that this helps,

Regards,

David

I guess I should clarify on the coffee quality question - is the coffee that's included, real brewed coffee or is it some kind of instant?

It is indeed real brewed coffee. Many lines use a syrup concoction. I just happened to be in the King's Court when the coffee machine was being serviced. They actually do use real coffee grounds.

..or call room service.

Her indoors always asks the butler to bring 1 x tea, 1 x coffee and 3 digestive biscuits every morning at 0730 hrs. It works a treat, but you can call for tea at any time.

Stewart

Sounds very similar to my breakfast order. Unfortunately, my butler is incapable of the simplest things. Oh wait, I just remembered, I don't have a butler!

However, I've found that room service in Britannia and Britannia Club on QM2 is very nicely done. Those folks do a fine job. *Round of applause for Room Service Personnel* (although I suspect a tip is also appreciated).:)

Cheers,

Salacia

• 6 years later...

There will be a coffee machine in my stateroom? Like a Keurig? Or like an electric kettle and some Sanka?

ETA: Never mind, just searched and saw it's a kettle and Nescafe. As long as the coffee in the King's Court is brewed, I'm good!