'Enchantment' pax fined/arrested

These are women in their mid- thirties. You would think they would had enough common sense to know better. I bet they won't do that again. Why would they even think that they would need a stun gun. Bermuda is a fairly safe port. I am going on that same cruise next Saturday..Lets hope no one else does anything that silly. However, on 2 Carnival cruises we were on, we have had port police come on board and arrest folks for drugs. What is illegal in the US is also illegal in the ports we go to and the CD even gives a speech at every port talk I have been to regarding that. No cruise line wants to leave passengers in jail at a port.:eek:

When i worked at the Port of San Francisco, at Check-in Services, I saw people being led off the ship in shackles even. More than a few times! I just don't understand how people can be so dumb. You are at their mercy if you get caught and they decide to do something about it. they can just kick you off at the next port, or confine you in your cabin until Custom agents collect you upon return. Not worth the little buzz taking a chance on it! yet i haven't been on a cruise yet where we haven't noticed a smell coming from somewhere. One fellow on the Dawn just sat in a chair on deck and smoked away as if he was just as innocent as anything. Just wait till you get home people, it's not worth the cost to you or the humiliation of getting caught.

I just don't understand how people can be so dumb. You are at their mercy if you get caught and they decide to do something about it. they can just kick you off at the next port, or confine you in your cabin until Custom agents collect you upon return. Not worth the little buzz taking a chance on it! yet i haven't been on a cruise yet where we haven't noticed a smell coming from somewhere. One fellow on the Dawn just sat in a chair on deck and smoked away as if he was just as innocent as anything.

Never saw anyone smoking pot out in the open on a cruise, but I have smelled it in the hallways in the cabin areas on a couple cruises.

My math isn't the best, but 6.68 grams would be roughly a 1/4 of an ounce, correct? I'd love to know where in the heck they are spending $3000 on a 1/4.

The above information is a testiment to my misguided youth and does not reflect the adult that I am today. :p

A pound of weed on average has a street value of about $2500. Sounds like someone in Bermuda is padding their statistics.

Oh, and get your minds out of the gutter. I'm retired law enforcement. :rolleyes:

I worked a whole season of Bermuda cruises on Empress a few years ago, and it was fairly common for the Bermuda drugs dogs to come on the ship and conduct random cabin searches. They are very harsh on drugs offenders so I'd I'd say this pair was lucky. At least you won't have far to go as the prison is right there at King's Wharf (some ugly looking goats live there).

On a side note, it happened more than once on Voyager this last winter in Galveston for the cruisers to attempt to bring guns onboard. The funny part was that all of them seemed shocked that they should be denied boarding after they were caught!

The problem with the system is that when loading luggage onto the ship, they simply don't have the time and manpower to x-ray every suitcase or piece of luggage going onboard the ship. On the other hand, its a different story when returning to the United States. At every port i've been to at debarkation all pieces of luggage are arranged according to deck and everytime i've seen customs dogs going by the luggage and when the dog stops at your suitcase you better pray he is smelling the Au Jus sauce you spilled on your suit from formal night, and not 6.68 grams of chronic valued at $3,625.

The problem with the system is that when loading luggage onto the ship, they simply don't have the time and manpower to x-ray every suitcase or piece of luggage going onboard the ship.

Sounds like a terrorist's dream. Keep smuggling stuff folks. Oh and don't be surprised if in the future you are subjected to full body scans and cavity searches. Happy cruisin' to ya...:)

They were in Bermuda not Bahamas.

I would be more concerned that they were able to get a stun gun past the xray machines. They confiscate the silliest things like fans and power strips but miss a stun gun.:eek:

Maybe they had it wrapped in a rum runner:D;)

It is not over even if they don't go to the prison at King's Wharf. Once they are returned to the States they will be pursued for the violations they committed getting the pot on Board and in the jurisdiction that they came on board from. Stupid is as stupid does! There are laws we don't like; but, they are the laws. Most Americans do not understand that when they leave the USA the protections they have as US citizens DO NOT apply outside the US. I have seen this arrogance in those that I saw busted in such lovely places as Turkey. Midnight Express was real!! Foreign jails are not places anyone would like to be. This from a former LE person with direct knowledge.

I'm not agreeing with what they did - they clearly broke the law - but the amount that they had was a fifth of an ounce! It's been a long time since I knew, but I think that might have a street value of $10.

This one really slays me they can find & conficate your booze but can't fine weed or the stun gun. Silly me they do not sell weed or stun guns on board so I guess that makes it okay!

Being from the UK I'm naive about weapons, but I believe a stun gun isn't gun shaped? Which might explain why it wasn't picked up on x-ray. Small quantities of drugs could be relatively easy to smuggle on (you could put it in you underwear etc), and will never be picked up by an x-ray. Booze is relatively easy to identify in comparison.

How do you know that the stated value is not correct for Bermuda? It's all based on supply and demand, perhaps it is much harder to get in Bermuda. Although at that rate, it would seem to be beyond a price that would be reasonably attainable, even for druggie type criminals.

Theron

How do you know that the stated value is not correct for Bermuda? It's all based on supply and demand, perhaps it is much harder to get in Bermuda. Although at that rate, it would seem to be beyond a price that would be reasonably attainable, even for druggie type criminals.

Theron

hahahahha. Right.

Its typical for LE's to make the value an order of magnitude higher than street value. There is really no possible way a quarter goes for more than a buck fifty to $200 on a bad day, let alone more than $3000.

Its silliness like this that makes me want to agree with the "Legalize it" crowd.

Theron

If this was the case, I'd start taking weed to Bermuda too! Buy it here for 30 bucks, sell it there for 3 grand? It's worth the $500 fine! LOL. I wouldn't really do it but.. damn. Talk about an exchange rate.

I'd love to know their reasoning for even BRINGING a stun gun...

I think, and the story supports, they carry it normally and legally for self defense in their daily lives, but didn't give it any thought and were totally ignorant of the cruise line rules.

To the point of it getting past X-rays, the ship has to go through a lot of bags and some of these stun guns could easily look like an MP3 player or other electronic device, it doesn't necessarily have to look like a gun.

Archived