Chilkoot 9 hour excursion - Dumb food question

Maverick6969

I know this is as dumb question but my wife and I are on the 9 hour Chilkoot Yukon train/bus tour out of Skagway in July. I know there is lunch served but can someone give me some ideas about taking snacks (sandwiches, pastries, etc) off of the ship for us just in case we get hungry during the trip. Please don't laugh. I know we won't starve but not sure we will like the lunch served and I saw where only water is available on the train so I want a backup plan.

Has anyone done something like this (taken snacks off the ship) for this or other long tours?

Thanking you in advance for your ideas and responses.

The only food allowed off the ship in port would be packaged things like granola bars, etc.

Virtually all countries, including the US, have very strict laws as to what can or cannot be taken off the ship - no fruit, meat, nuts, or anything fresh. These are laws, not suggestions.

There will be signs as you go off the ship telling you what you can take and in some cases there may be agricultural officers who will check your bags.

We enjoyed a delicious lunch at Carcross. Chicken, salad, rolls, rice. We also enjoyed ice cream afterwards at a shop elsewhere in Carcross. I didn't feel hunger pangs during the trip and the meal was wonderful!

I know this is as dumb question but my wife and I are on the 9 hour Chilkoot Yukon train/bus tour out of Skagway in July. I know there is lunch served but can someone give me some ideas about taking snacks (sandwiches, pastries, etc) off of the ship for us just in case we get hungry during the trip. Please don't laugh. I know we won't starve but not sure we will like the lunch served and I saw where only water is available on the train so I want a backup plan.

Has anyone done something like this (taken snacks off the ship) for this or other long tours?

Thanking you in advance for your ideas and responses.

My husband and I are on the same tour in June, this is the tour that goes to and eats at Lake Bennett. This is the lunch menu for the 9 hour trip:

The lunch menu for our Skagway/Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion is as follows:

Mulligan stew, rolls, salad, pie, coffee or tea.

Where did you find that they only have water on the train, I was wondering the same thing if they sold snacks on the train, or maybe at a gift shop at the station.

I am looking at the 9hr tour as well for my mom and I on our Coral Princess trip late August. My mom really wants to do the train but I am much more interested in great photo opportunities. I'm concerned that due to the bumpiness of the train and tinted windows of the van/bus there won't be many good photo opps. Has anyone taken this tour before and have any thoughts on it? Thanks!!

Also, curious as to what Mulligan stew is???

Thanks!

Are you on the Chilkoot tour? We took our tour with them and went up on the train and back by van. You can walk around on the train ride and we were able to get lots of photos. We really enjoyed the narration during the trip about the gold rush. The movement of the train was not a problem for us taking pictures. On the van portion, our van driver made lots of stops and he also stopped whenever someone wanted a photo. We had all the time we needed and got many pictures, including some of bears. Our van driver was relaxed and funny--it made this portion of the trip very enjoyable. We had a great group, also, so it was lots of fun!

I am looking at the 9hr tour as well for my mom and I on our Coral Princess trip late August. My mom really wants to do the train but I am much more interested in great photo opportunities. I'm concerned that due to the bumpiness of the train and tinted windows of the van/bus there won't be many good photo opps. Has anyone taken this tour before and have any thoughts on it? Thanks!!

Also, curious as to what Mulligan stew is???

Thanks!

We took the train up and back and I had no problems taking pictures. And I think Mulligan stew is just a basic stew with beef and veggies.

DSC03406.jpg

DSC03356.jpg

DSC03293.jpg

I don't think it's a dumb question--I was wondering the same thing! I have the added complication of being a vegetarian. I'll be doing the 7 1/2 hr tour on Chilkoot. Anyone know if there's a veggie option? It's a 7:30 departure, so I won't have time to grab a sandwich in town to bring along with. Should I plan on just bringing some packaged nuts/bars from home? Is there someplace we stop that has food available?

I don't think it's a dumb question--I was wondering the same thing! I have the added complication of being a vegetarian. I'll be doing the 7 1/2 hr tour on Chilkoot. Anyone know if there's a veggie option? It's a 7:30 departure, so I won't have time to grab a sandwich in town to bring along with. Should I plan on just bringing some packaged nuts/bars from home? Is there someplace we stop that has food available?

No veggie option - except that I guess I did that - since when I was there the only chicken they had available was dark meat - a leg with the thigh attached - and I've never been hungry enough to eat dark meat on chicken - so I just ate everything else. It wasn't anything to write home about either. :)

Nine of us did the Chilkoot train/van excursions booked directly with Chilkoot. They pick you up and take you to train and they are there waiting when you get off train to get back on van. We saw two bears on way back down and driver stopped for photos. We ate at the place where they have the dogs but I can't remember the name of it. We were able to pet the dogs and they have a small museum which is really nice too. The food was chicken with the trimings and was very good. You cannot take anything off ship so we took packaged crackers and a few other packaged things. We didn't know at the time how long it would be before we ate so turned out to be a good idea, especially if you are diabetic. Water was the only thing on the train to drink. You will enjoy the trip very much.;)

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Looks like some granola bars will be the "snack of the day" on this excursion. The mulligan stew looks very tasty. Thanks for the pictures of the trains also. Really excited about this excursion.

Getting close to breaking into the "20s" for days left before we depart for the land portion of our trip. The excitement builds :D

Archived