Passenger demographics on summer Med cruise

Infi

I'm well aware that demographics can vary from cruise to cruise, but I'm trying to get a feel for this particular itinerary from those who have sailed it. We're sailing the Grand Med itinerary, in early July.

What's the usual breakdown of passengers? I'm expecting more families, as it's July and around the time for school lets out for summer in Europe as well. Also, what's the typical ratio of Americans to Europeans? On our other Princess cruises, there's always been a large contingent from the UK, so I'm expecting to see something similar here. I'm sure a Med cruise will be more multi-national than a North American based one, but will announcements be made in multiple languages?

Thanks in advance for any information.

We did a Med cruise last year in early August, so a little later than you. There was a wide mix of people on board in terms of ages and nationalities. It is of course, difficult to be specific about exact ratios, as I didn't conduct a survey :D but I would say that there were around 50%American and Canadian passengers, 35% British and 15% other (e.g. Aussie, Italian).

Apart from just general observation, the reason I say this is because we had Anytime dining and were happy to share with others. We were seated with North Americans every time, except once when we shared with a UK family. OK, not scientific, but perhaps an indication?

In terms of children when you are going, the UK schools don't actually finish until later in July (around the 23rd), not sure about continental Europe, though ;)

Edit - meant to add also, in terms of onboard announcements, as far as I recall, all of ours were in English.

At least 50% not meat and potatoes Americans. YOu can spot them BTW they look and dress :D

We had a huge contigent of Spanish or Latin Americans with families, the kids club was like more than 1/2 as was the pool. The Americans stood out there too :eek:

I didin't find the larger foreign crowd to change my experience at all, but for my daughter who spent considerably time in the Kids Club it was a new experience.

We did the Med on the Grand out of the UK last year mid July and there were only about 10% Americans. Also a lot of children as their school break begins in the middle of July. I would guess that the vast majority were from the UK. We had a wonderful trip but really did not get most of the comedians. ;)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I realize now I wasn't very clear in my post - we're doing the Grand Mediterranean itinerary (Venice to Barcelona) on the Ruby Princess, not the Grand. :o But I think I know what to expect now passenger-wise, so thanks!

We did our Western Med cruise a little earlier, towards the end of JUne, but we still found lots of families --- and lots of extended families. Americans were in the minority, lots of Europeans and Australians. Announcements were made in several languages so seemed to take forever! We loved it, though, especially hearing the different languages spoken throughout the ship. Some of the entertainment was more geared to the Europeans -- the World Cup was going on at the time and the games were shown in several places around the ship including cabin TVs.

Archived