Adios Señor Frog’s in Grand Cayman

dafuser

We ate there last October. It was my first time in a Senor Frogs (and probably last ha ha - but at least I can say I've been there). It was off the main drag and a little hard to find, I wonder if that contributed to closing its doors. We ate there because it was the first restaurant we found after our excursion. It was ok food that was overpriced, but you pay for the atmosphere anyway, I guess.

"warned that there was no silver bullet to the situation of the economy although the dock would help some of the ailing businesses in George Town"

That's new to me...I remember in my cruise in Oct the CD saying "GC never wants to build dock as it would disrupt it's fragile eco system" I thought to myself yeah right...

"warned that there was no silver bullet to the situation of the economy although the dock would help some of the ailing businesses in George Town"

That's new to me...I remember in my cruise in Oct the CD saying "GC never wants to build dock as it would disrupt it's fragile eco system" I thought to myself yeah right...

Even John Heald said something about it I recall..said they need to get it built already...

I had heard they have had plans for a new pier there, but thats been the last 4 years of rumors. They wanted to build it in a differ location than the tender dock now. So alot of business owners werent to happy about that. Now I do give myself "maybe not true" disclaimer on that, because that was here say. :D and we know how that goes.

Looks like the Señor Frog’s in Grand Cayman has closed it's doors and went out of business. :(

Oh, boo-hoo. Another tourist trap, chain establishment bites the dust... :rolleyes:

All food establishments in Grand Cayman are expensive! Anything that is brought in is subject to a tariff. There are no taxes on the island, but bring something in and you get hit with a tariff or fee.

Senor Frog--probably n ot as many people went there as Margaritaville is right on the main drag and everytime I have been there it has been hopping....

Grand Cayman Pier--Even if they build a pier it will probably be able to accommodate, at best, two ships. More often than not, there can be as many as six ships in port, so they would still have to tender. Also, the monster ships of RCI wouldn't likely be able to use the dock because of the ships size......They did say they are going to build one, but didn't say how big (long) and how many ships it will accommodate.

I miss Grand Cayman. After going there five times in just over two years I haven't been back in more than a year.

There are lots of things I like about Grand Cayman. One is that I can walk about in town and not be pestered to "come in to my shop" . When I am there, I go where I want and enjoy not to have to say no, Im sorry but no, Im not interested etc.

I have been there 4 times and enjoyed all my visits. Stingray City, Grand Cayman tour and just walking around on my own, and feeling quite safe there compared to other ports in the Caribbean.

The only time I ate there, my Mom and I got hungry while ashore and didnt want much, so we stopped at an open air establishment, with a window for ordering and picnic tables to eat at. Im sorry I dont remember a name, but it was just a block or two back from where the tender boats let you off. It was to the right of the "Royal Bank of Canada"! I remember that because it was a touch of "home". We had conch fritters that were as good as some I have had in Bahamas, maybe better. Fries and coleslaw. My Mom and I still talk about that meal. It wasnt dirt cheap, but sooo good and great value for the dollar. I am not the kind of traveller who visits the popular chains, so I dont know Senor Frogs. I like local and low key.

Sadly last visit to Grand Cayman October 2009, we didnt get there, and I think my Mom was a little miffed about that, but I am a punctuality nut, and after she visited all the tanzanite places, I said we need to get back to the ship before last tender!:)

Don't worry, there are 9,999 others dotted through out the Caribbean, where you can get the exact same food and drink.

Sorry, but not a huge lose to our culture. If they could take a DI with them and make it a package deal, I might actually crack a smile over it.

Don't worry, there are 9,999 others dotted through out the Caribbean, where you can get the exact same food and drink.

Sorry, but not a huge lose to our culture. If they could take a DI with them and make it a package deal, I might actually crack a smile over it.

When you say "DI", I hope I am understanding you right by meaning "Diamonds International " ? Im sorry Im a little dense at times, but if that is what you mean, I am so in agreement, and would also crack a smile.! I love my Mom, but I was sooooooooooooo tired of tracking around Georgetown in search of the free charm bracelets. :eek:

When you say "DI", I hope I am understanding you right by meaning "Diamonds International " ? Im sorry Im a little dense at times, but if that is what you mean, I am so in agreement, and would also crack a smile.! I love my Mom, but I was sooooooooooooo tired of tracking around Georgetown in search of the free charm bracelets. :eek:

Exactly, Sparky. ;)

Oh, boo-hoo. Another tourist trap, chain establishment bites the dust...

That's a funny for the day.....

Now THAT was funny!!!

I remember 50+ people on our "Dream" cruise when we stopped in Grand Truk thanking me for saying how nice it was the go to "Jack's Shack" instead of M-Ville.....I am really done with chain places anymore....

Now I just got to find a good local place on a beach away from the crowds in Freeport in Sept....

That's a funny for the day.....

I remember 50+ people on our "Dream" cruise when we stopped in Grand Truk thanking me for saying how nice it was the go to "Jack's Shack" instead of M-Ville.....I am really done with chain places anymore....

Now I just got to find a good local place on a beach away from the crowds in Freeport in Sept....

Yes indeed and I am one of those 50+ !!!!

We can't wait to go back in November... :)

Me and my guest on a cruise to Grand Cayman in January we stopped at Senor Frogs to eat, the food was not bad at all the price was outrages. I spent more to eat there for two people then I spent on my self anywhere else.

I hear a lot about that place but I was not surprised over anything. When something goes out, it give it a better opportunity for something better to come in.

Archived