Best time for Eiffel Tower

seabreezer

Now that one can reserve a time to go to the top, any suggestions on the best time to choose? Is there a better view AM or early PM? Is there a time and day that might be less crowded? We're going in June.

The time of day is pretty irrelevant for the view unless you're a keen photographer who wants the sun in the right place - best to choose a time at the beginning of your day, to reduce the possibility of timed visits not running to schedule.

If you travel to Paris by ship's coach, the usual drop-point is next to the Tower - tie the time in & you save yourself some shunting in the middle of your day.

Alternative travel is by train (around 2hrs plus transfer time at each end) or tour van. I wouldn't recommend car hire, the driving is relatively easy but parking can be a real pain unless you park up somewhere for the whole day - which rather defeats the flexibility of a car.

Travel time Le Havre to Paris by road is usually 2 - 2.5 hours, there can be delays, esp approaching the Periphorique (ring road).

It's a fine juggling act to figure a ticket time which allows for a minor hold-up en-route but doesn't leave you hanging about at the Tower, as there's little else to visit in the immediate area - mebbe while away some time with a coffee break across the road by the river next to the ho-ho boats.

Regs say you must present yourself at the time on your ticket. Clearly there has to be some leeway since even timed tickets will probably involve some standing in line, but it doesn't look like you can book an early time & roll up a lot later.

Go up armed with a simple tourist map, so that you can get an overview of the places you're planning to visit. With timed tickets you must go to the top first, you can then spend time on the lower levels if you wish.

And don't even think of going up without a timed ticket.

Fo those overniting in Paris, less crowded and a "different" view if you go up in the evening. Ties in nicely with an evening river cruise.

http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/uk/pratique/acces/page/tarifs.html?id=2_3

Jean Taureau

Thank you so much for the information and web site. Now to work out the time. How long does it usually take to get luggage, go through customs, etc.? Are international flights usually pretty much on schedule or do they tend to run late?

Thank you so much for the information and web site. Now to work out the time. How long does it usually take to get luggage, go through customs, etc.? Are international flights usually pretty much on schedule or do they tend to run late?

Agh, now you've thrown me :eek:

Kinda presumed you were cruising in to LeHavre.

Sorry, can't help, I drive to Paris regularly, but never flown there.

JB

If you are flying soon, allow for the fact that volcanic activity can substantially delay transatlantic flights. We recently flew EWR-LHR via a routing which took us over Greenland and Iceland, well north of the great circle route usually flown. Also, these route deviations can have a knock-on effect, as equipment arrives late, and departing flights leave even later. Our Virgin Atlantic flight 2 departed and landed at least three hours late for the three days preceding our trip. Check your flight on http://www.flightstats.com/

Generally allow about 30-45 minute for passport control and luggage retrieval; it is a while since I flew in to CDG, so I am not an authority on whether they run this process efficiently or not. Customs, as such, hardly takes a moment in Europe because if you have nothing to declare, you just walk out with your luggage, subject to a random inspection.

Coming back to the original question, I would aim for a time around dusk, when the setting sun gives you well-defined shadows and (if it is a clear day) a wonderful golden light.

Enjoy your trip.

it was about one half hr, for luggage and passport control, but took another one half hr.to wait for taxi....also would go at dusk for best view,but found that Montparnesse Tower was as good a view of city, less crowded, costs less,etc....so a good alternative...can take metro there,also loved exploring close famous cemetery...just an alternative to avoid crowds,,,still saw Eiffel on hopon,hop off bus,got great pictures too...,,also night river cruise is great with all city lit up.....:D

Thanks for the helpful advise. I don't quite know what I'm doing yet but we don't go till July 6 so might have some time to think it out. I wonder how quickly the time slots fill up? Oh well, just being in Paris I can't see how we could go to wrong. This has been my dream trip for so long. Just keep the volcano from messing it up and get us there and the rest will all be great I'm sure.

I haven't been to the Eiffel Tower since tickets were available online.

I've been to the top four times and have never waited long although I've always visited during high season (last two visits were in 2004, 2007). My strategy is to get there 15 minutes before opening time and I've not waited longer than 5 minutes for a ticket and 10 minutes for an elevator.

Ann Marie

don't forget to see the tower at night - it is lit up and on the hour the lights twinkle. We first saw it using the Montparnasse tower in the rain. We were the only ones on the roof and it was magic. I am sure it is also wonderful from the ground.

If you have been up by lift don't forget that going down by stairs is interesting - and not really so hard. You get a chance to see the tower up close.

Going up by stairs is quite often less stressful and much quicker than standing in the queue if you have not pre ordered your tickets !! It really is not as far as it looks.

We will spend 3 days in Paris pre-cruise, so I booked Eiffel Tower tickets for our last night. I checked the time of sunset (9:57) and booked our tickets for 8 p.m. It will still be daylight when we get there, and we can enjoy the views as the sun sets.

I considered walking up the stairs to the 2nd level, but it is 115 meters! I don't think we will have a problem walking down the stairs part of the way, but I'd rather NOT have a heart attack at the beginning of our trip! :D

Archived