Tell me about the Norweigan Sun

First time NCL cruiser here going on the Sun 10/4/10 on the 12 night transatlantic cruise from England back to Port Canaveral. We just got off the RCL Jewel of the seas transatlantic cruise and it was fantastic. I have some questions for all who have sailed the Sun recently or NCL transatlantic cruises.

1) Laundry service, self serve?

2) Activities

3) Anytime dining

4) Buffets for breakfast/lunch, crowed? quality?

Any other info is appreciated.

First of all come and join our Roll Call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1067961

It is a fairly active group and also check out the web address in my signature we have a small web page up as well.

As for your questions:

1. No self -service laundry (unless you consider doing it in your sink self serv.) There are specials offered on board to do a bag full for a set price.

2. I think there are several, although there has only been one TA since I've been on these boards and there are reviews starting to trickle in. So far our Roll Call has sceduled a meet & greet, a lunch get together, and a slot pull. But that is just on our own.

3. Exactly as it sounds, unless you go to one of the upsell restaurants, most need to have reservations made in advance. You can eat at your own table, or request to share. Different servers every night, any time you care to eat.

4. Consensus is that the buffet is poorly designed and tends to be crowded all the time, or so some posters would have us believe. There are 2 threads running now with posts real time from people doing the Baltics right now and they've offered recent details of the ship.

Dress Up or Not nights, so you don't have to pack fancy clothes, just resort casual all the time, no shorts at night in the MDR, but that depends on the Maitre'D and what they will allow.

Hope you come on over to the roll call and join in! :)

We were on Sun 'round the horn in April and while the buffet was very crowded, we found it just fine for breakfast and lunch. We usually ended up on the aft at The Great Outdoors, where there was usually no problem finding a table. Selection in the main buffet is good, but don't forget that for breakfast you can get waffles in Pacific Heights (as well as overflow seating). For lunch, Pacific Heights has pasta made to order (as long as you only want tomato or alfredo sauces) and really tasty single serve calzoes. We tended to make a big salad in the buffet and then grab a calzone before heading outdoors to eat. We also enjoyed having lunch in Las Ramblas. In addition to having a crew member there to make your sandwich to order and serve you the soup of the day, they also had several (four or five) pre-made sandwiches. I LOVED the veggie one - very oniony...yum.

Have a great trip!

First time NCL cruiser here going on the Sun 10/4/10 on the 12 night transatlantic cruise from England back to Port Canaveral. We just got off the RCL Jewel of the seas transatlantic cruise and it was fantastic. I have some questions for all who have sailed the Sun recently or NCL transatlantic cruises.

1) Laundry service, self serve?

2) Activities

3) Anytime dining

4) Buffets for breakfast/lunch, crowed? quality?

Any other info is appreciated.

The tapas bar on the Sun is very unique.

Archived