Shelling in Bermuda

jerseybeachmom

No.:(

I think one of the Bermuda residents who posts explained why but I can't remember exactly what they said so I won't try for fear of being wrong. I think they mentioned something about more likely to find them on the north shore but there are few beaches there being the rockier side of the island.

For the first time ever, I found some very small ones last year around Warwick Long Bay.

Now beach glass.....that's a different story.:)

Much of Bermuda is surrounded by reefs that block most things from washing up on-shore - apart from fragments...

Most of the 'pink-sand' you see is actually shell & coral fragments...

We found that the best (but far from spectacular) place to find shells was on Clearwater Beach...

If you're staying for a while, it might be worth the effort to get there (it's not a bad beach in it's own right), but you'll need to rent scooters to do it! The bus will get you so far, but then it's still a fair stroll from the nearest bus-stop to the beach itself...

Good luck..

According to the bus schedule, there are 2 #6 bus routes. The #6 bus that runs a quarter AFTER the hour does NOT provide service to Clear Water Beach. The #6 bus route that runs a quarter BEFORE the hour provides service to Clear Water Beach.

SBtS

Hi Jerseybeachmom,

EOS has it exactly right - the reefs and rocks break up larger shells (creating the pink sand). There are lots of tiny shells to be had, but they ARE tiny.

If you are really into shells, there is a world-class collection at the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute close to Hamilton.

Link here:

http://www.buei.org/page/view/name/57,shell+collection

Have Fun!

Archived