Lost Luggage???

bunker1706

Has anyone not had their luggage make it to their stateroom or even on the ship because the porter had misplaced it?

I know that has happened to some people, but it is very rare.

We've taken 15 cruises on various cruise lines and our luggage has always shown up in our stateroom by departure time.

Edited by NMLady

We are just back from the HAL Veendam cruise to Bermuda and we had no problem receiving our luggage at the beginning of our cruise but after we disembarked, it was nowhere to be found in the terminal. After searching for over an hour, with no help from the port agents, except for them to say "this happens all the time", we had to fill out a claim form and leave to wait for our bus home. We had done our part by clearly marking our luggage with our name tags and the color coded tags we were instructed to use. We placed it outside our stateroom, as instructed the night before. I couldn't understand how they could have lost all three pieces and I was extremely upset to the point of crying. We had a long wait for our bus and during that wait, two of the ship's crewmembers, in civilian dress came to tell us that they had found our luggage amongst the departing crew's luggage. This whole incident had caused my husband and me unnecessary and undue stress. I will never trust any cruiseline with my luggage again. From now on, we will choose self-disembarkation.

We had the opposite experience. We returned last week from HAL's Amsterdam and we used Luggage Direct service from HAL. For an additional fee our luggage was sent directly to the airline and our destination airport. Our luggage tags from HAL were the airline baggage tags and we were also given our boarding passes for our flight. So, when we put our luggage outside our cabin door the last night, in Victoria BC, we never saw it again until we took it off the conveyor belt at our destination airport in TX. It was wonderful not to have to go through airport check-in to check our luggage. We simply went from the town car transfer to the security lines.

Edited by NMLady

I had a client who didn't get her bag until day three when she found it out on deck near the muster stations. When she told the guest services people they told her that who ever was supposed to deliver it got probably got called away for muster and forgot. Luckily she has alot more patience than I.

I've never had our luggage lost before (thank goodness). But one did arrive in our rooms later than the other, but yet still on the same day as we departed.

I didn't read everyone's responses, but I was given some good advice from someone on here that I had never thought of before and it's great advice (so hopefully this hasn't been stated in this thread already)

When packing, make sure that you pack different things in different suitcases. Like if you are traveling with someone else (spouse, friend and so on), mix the clothes up. That way if one of the bags gets lost, and the other arrives, you both will have something to wear and things you need. I've always packed a suitcase for my husband and one for myself. It just made sense to mix them up and hope that if one gets lost, the other won't and we'll both have items needed. :)

• 1 month later...

We made the mistake of trusting Celebrity. After leaving the airport with all our luggage and thinking we were in Celebrity's hands, we decided to lighten our carry on and put some items including medication into one of the bags. This bag never made it to our room. It has not been found after over a month.

We just heard from Celebrity and they only cover $300 even though all my husbands dress clothes were also in the bag.

Do you wonder why bags with medication get lost?

We've had "late" luggage, but it has always been there before dinner. Our neighbors had a missing bag and come to find out it went to the bad bag area because it had an iron in it. Owners had to go and retrieve their bag and sign some sort of form to get their iron back at the end of the cruise.

• 4 years later...
Has anyone not had their luggage make it to their stateroom or even on the ship because the porter had misplaced it?

Only time I have had a delay in receiving my luggage was an Air line issue.

They failed to put my luggage on the final leg of my air line trip. It stopped in San Francisco and I continued on to Fresno without it. They delivered to my home a day later.

I have used luggage Direct, it is a God sent, I highly recommend it.

I am now planning a cruise on Fri Nov 28, the day after Thanksgiving.

Plan is to fly on Nov 26 the day before Thanksgiving which is also the busiest day of the year to fly.

We are going in two days early to hopefully avoid any anxiety about weather and airline delays. But what about our luggage?

No problem: I am sending our checked bags By Luggage Forwarding service.

I do not trust the airline to handle my checked luggage over the Thanksgiving crush at the air port. It will be expensive but my peace of mind will be priceless.

:p

Always pack your carryon as if your bag will never make it.

Put your formal outfit and shoes, bathing suit, underwear and makeup and 3 days worth of clothes in your carryon.

Worst case scenario, you will do laundry but still have enough clothes to get by.

Thank you for the idea to pack my formal wear. Probably best even if there is no fear of lost luggage since that way you can hang it up to let any wrinkles work out as soon as they let you go to your staterooms. :)

Edited by TravelinGert

Thanks for all of your stories. We are actually locals and will be driving over to Miami so I won't need to worry about the airlines misplacing it. I'm just concerned my bags won't make it from the dock to my room, but if I pack my carry-on accordingly I should be fine. Besides, from what it sounds like the majority of people do receive their bags. I'm just a little nervous and excited because this is our first cruise.

OP, I'm curious - if this is your first cruise why do you have 4 "sailed" boxes in your signature?

GRRRR, never mind. This thread is 4 years old. Why do people revive old threads instead of starting a new one.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Sometimes it takes time to show up, I always bring a carry on just to have things. The air line sent my bags to another state.... :eek: