Mendenhall Trails

runner5

There's just one tiny bridge to be completed before it'll be opened officially - right now there are just some boards across the 2-foot-wide creek. It's a beautifully-constructed trail.

Thank you! I was following you Blog to Infinity which is where I saw the nugget trail, but was confused, so THANK YOU for explaining! Also, I saw you were going to be on other ships, any chance Radiance of the Seas July 30- Aug 6?

Just talked with the Mendenhall Vistor center, they said there is a waterfall trail off Photo Point but was unaware of a new trail off nugget creek, Murray are they just confused? They said that nugget branches off at about 400 feet but didn't know about a new trail that just opened, they thought I was talking about Waterfall trail off Photo Point. I am back to being confused :confused:.

Just talked with the Mendenhall Vistor center, they said there is a waterfall trail off Photo Point but was unaware of a new trail off nugget creek, Murray are they just confused? They said that nugget branches off at about 400 feet but didn't know about a new trail that just opened, they thought I was talking about Waterfall trail off Photo Point. I am back to being confused :confused:.

The new Nugget Falls trail (I have no idea what they're going to call it officially) does branch off from the Photo Point Trail (right near the start of that very short sidewalk/trail). The Nugget Creek Trail is long, has minimal views and doesn't go to the falls. It appears that the new trail is going to have a branch that will take you up to the Nugget Creek Trail but it's barely been started yet. Just keep "Nugget Falls" in mind - the "Creek" is what's confusing everyone.

Yukon, love: Is the salmon viewing bridge on the Moraine Ecology Trail or on one of those little white unnamed spurs on the map that crosses Steep Creek?

Thanks so much for all your tidbits, especially on the Mendenhall trail info.

(So, now that the trail is almost done, I guess that means there will be more traffic out there, darn. I wouldn't have minded wet feet and less people. Price of progress)

The Trail says under contruction but you can take it or just walk to the left of it and get to the Nugget Falls. There is one small area where you have to walk over rocks, but not more than two inches if that much. It was beautiful! There was no-one there when we wnet but it was raining.

Yukon, love: Is the salmon viewing bridge on the Moraine Ecology Trail or on one of those little white unnamed spurs on the map that crosses Steep Creek?

Thanks so much for all your tidbits, especially on the Mendenhall trail info.

(So, now that the trail is almost done, I guess that means there will be more traffic out there, darn. I wouldn't have minded wet feet and less people. Price of progress)

The salmon viewing bridge is on the Moraine Ecology Trail. I liked Nugget Falls better before the trail - it used to be pretty much a solitary experience, but it's rather crowded now.

There's just one tiny bridge to be completed before it'll be opened officially - right now there are just some boards across the 2-foot-wide creek. It's a beautifully-constructed trail.

yukon, if for one in a million chance a walker comes upon a bear on any of the trails, what is the best thing too do. the thought of it happening ( minimul i know ) does not bother or scare me from taking a hike, but i dont know how one should react if it would happen. any advice. thanks alot.

yukon, if for one in a million chance a walker comes upon a bear on any of the trails, what is the best thing too do. the thought of it happening ( minimul i know ) does not bother or scare me from taking a hike, but i dont know how one should react if it would happen. any advice. thanks alot.

Black bears are being seen a LOT at Mendenhall lately, and everyone should be Bear Aware. See http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/safety/bears.htm for great info about that.

I have seen tourists walk right past bears and not notice them at all.

Tourists in a mental fog!

Follow the rules indicated by Yukon above.

And keep alert!

More people are hunt on those trails by wearing the wrong footwear than have ever been injured by bears. I'm not kidding! Slip and fall accidents happen all the time. Be wise about your footwear! I have seen visitors literally fall out of their shoes when walking in Alaska. Mostly women of course. A bad fall can really ruin a vacation.

Obviously this is a pet peeve of mine.

I have seen visitors literally fall out of their shoes when walking in Alaska. Mostly women of course. A bad fall can really ruin a vacation.

But it won't be MY vacation. Dress shoes or a camera lens? HMMM;) Don't look too close if you're near me in the dining room.

We always had at least one parent wearing heels as a chaperone for our annual Flume and Cannon Mountain field trip. Miles of boardwalks, slippery stairs, rock scrambles, and kids going full tilt. Can't save them from themselves!

• 1 month later...

The web site quotes 5 hours round trip on the trail....but somebody above mentioned 20-30min.....? if we were to go to the fall on the new trail, is it one hour round trip or many hours as per web site? pls help!

The web site quotes 5 hours round trip on the trail....but somebody above mentioned 20-30min.....? if we were to go to the fall on the new trail, is it one hour round trip or many hours as per web site? pls help!

These are TWO different trails. Nugget Creek and Nugget Falls.

The short one, Nugget Falls, is your "20 min. each way", IF "clear". I would allow an hour round trip. It wasn't any where near, "complete" when I was there in May.

We always had at least one parent wearing heels as a chaperone for our annual Flume and Cannon Mountain field trip. Miles of boardwalks, slippery stairs, rock scrambles, and kids going full tilt. Can't save them from themselves!

hike/walk the cinque terre if you want to see inappropriate footwear..

the lovely mrs b-d was constantly saying "well, that's gonna leave a mark".

thank you rick steve's and outside magazine for posting 10 secret unknown spots that'll be over run next year.

Archived