1st time cruisers Ventura

biggirl69

We, 2 adults 40ish are looking to book 1st cruise for next year, march 2011 transatlantic, we need as much advice as we can get :) we are hoping to book standard balcony but understand these go quite quickly, has anyone done this cruise previously, what type of weather would we expect during crossing to teneriffe will we be able to use the balcony, guess it will be hot in Caribbean & hopefully Teneriffe. Is there a charge for room service? & is freedom eating a good option like the idea of being able to eat when we want? & finally what is the mens dress code for evenings? any other tips or advice will be gratefully received. many thanks for reading, happy cruising :cool:

Jo

I've not been on Ventura, but as with any ship, March is often a windy month, so could be roughish and certainly cold. You won't be using the balcony until Tenerife. Personally I don't bother with a balcony, prefer to spend my time on deck or around in the ship. I don't know about room service, but don't think there is a charge. Some like Freedom Dining, not done that either. Dress codes are Formal, (men need a dinner jacket usually), Semi Formal (men jacket & tie) and casual (no jacket required).

Not to sure about the weather but you should be alright once you get to Tenerife, We were on Ventura around the Med last month and the room service is free generally although there are some items that can carry a charge The formal dress is either a dinner suit or just a suit and tie , no need to go over the top , and we were also on freedom dining and it worked well for us , go when you want and be seated straight away if you are willing to share a table or wait a maximum of 10 minutes if you want a table for two . I am sure you will love the cruise as Ventura is a very large and impressive ship that caters for all tastes , enjoy the cruise.

If a balcony is important to you choose a cabin on C deck which has the largest balcony, the outer half of which is overlooked (the inner half isn't!) the starboard side should be the sunniest coming east....we cruised on Ventura transatlantic but the other way round...from Southampton...we loved it and there was plenty to do on the ship, if you wanted it, on the days at sea...

There's certainly no charge for room service for breakfast but don't know about other meals.....we have breakfast in our cabin (on balcony) for quickness when we're going ashore...

We have done Freedom dining on other ships but actually prefer the same table companions each night so opt for a set time if possible.

I expect the weather will be warm until Tenerife and then perhaps for a day after and then getting cooler. Dress code is as Jeanlyon says but in addition some men choose to wear dark lounge suit on formal nights in place of dinner suit. Also some of Ventura cruises (?Caribbean) don't have semi formal nights just casual and formal but you will be informed of this before you travel.

Hope this helps...ask away if there's anything else you wish to know

Agree with jenny wren, C-deck balcony and as you are on the repositioning transatlantic sailing east from the hot Caribbean back to the Canaries and then on to Southampton the starboard side will give you most sun. (I think jeanlyon and tightwad maybe think you are sailing from Southampton?).

I think Ventura only has formal and smart casual dress codes.

Carol x

Agree with jenny wren, C-deck balcony and as you are on the repositioning transatlantic sailing east from the hot Caribbean back to the Canaries and then on to Southampton the starboard side will give you most sun. (I think jeanlyon and tightwad maybe think you are sailing from Southampton?).

I think Ventura only has formal and smart casual dress codes.

Carol x

Jo, I think Carol is correct re weather and also cabin location, only after Tenerife will the weather probably start to cool down, and C deck balconies are partially covered so you can sit in full sun or in shade.

One point you might want to consider is that some grade JG cabins (cheapest balcony grade) are available on C deck both fore and aft, and these are certainly a good bargain, but don't tell everyone.;)

Carol is also correct about the dress code, they no longer bother with semi formal on Ventura and Oceana.

As regards freedom dining, if P&O do this the same as Princess (and Ventura is identical to Emerald Princess), then this is our favourite dining option, it lets you decide your dining time on a daily basis, and the menu and type of service is the same as in traditional dining.

Archived