Any dishes not to miss....

atakkat

I was on the Pride for a seven day cruise, so not sure if your menu will be different but i loved:

The mushroom ragout - an appetizer of sautee'd mushrooms on a puff pastry that is delish.

All the soups were fantastic too.

Forgive me for my not knowing this, but what the heck is eating escargot like? They look like mussels and they are served in a garlic butter sauce...but what do they taste like? Texture? Are they similar to mussels at all in flavor or texture? What do they remind you of?

TIA,

TXRoo

The pumpkin soup is SICK!!! (and I mean sick in a GREAT way!!!) one of my favorite things on the ship, I order two servings of this!!! Also, the mushroom ragout is out of this world!!!!!!!!!!!! The mushroom soup is good, if you like mushrooms, but even if you don't, try it, I never liked mushrooms til I tried this!!! The pork "chop" dish is incredible as well! Hint! Try anything you think you would like to! If you dont like it, you don't have to eat it and you can order something else, great way to learn about new things!!!!!!!!!!!

The pumpkin soup is SICK!!! (and I mean sick in a GREAT way!!!) one of my favorite things on the ship, I order two servings of this!!! Also, the mushroom ragout is out of this world!!!!!!!!!!!! The mushroom soup is good, if you like mushrooms, but even if you don't, try it, I never liked mushrooms til I tried this!!! The pork "chop" dish is incredible as well! Hint! Try anything you think you would like to! If you dont like it, you don't have to eat it and you can order something else, great way to learn about new things!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my thinking! I'm trying lobster when I can send it back if I don't like it!

Ehpride, that is exactly what you should do!!!! My first all inclusive was in Jamaica and prior to that I was limited as to what I "thought" I liked... I was able to order and try it, then order something else... I learned that I actually liked many things I thought I wouldn't!! If you are with other people, each of you can order something different and try it, then order more if you like it! There is a sweet and sour shrimp dish that is to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you see anything like it, get it! Our table ordered 6 orders of it last time! LOL!!

That sounds so good!! Grandma doesn't like shrimp but I'm willing to try almost any seafood. I'll have to have the filet mignon though because it's my favorite!!! Maybe I'll order one thing that I know I'll like and one thing I'd like to try each night...hehehe

Eh, you really should use this opportunity! If you have never tried Escargot, try it on the ship! It won't kill you and most find it quite good! At least you can say you tried it!!! There are opportunites to try so many new things and you can order as many as you would like! What we like to do is find a couple things that many at the table would like to try and order it, that way we are not wasting tooo much food! The soups, of which I am not usually a fan, are absolutely incredible!! Please do try the pumpkin soup! It is out of this world! The mushroom ragout (I'm NOT a mushroom fan) is absolutely one of the best things I have ever had.... try everything you have a desire to try!!!!!!!!!

Eh, I promise once you try it you will want a full bowl to yourself! Really, it is THAT good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never thought I would like it, but it has become one of my favorite dishes!!! Everyone in my group last time doubted me but they were SO glad they tried it!!! That, the mushroom soup and the ragout... I promise you will be pleasantly surprised.... none of which I would have thought I would like!!! The 'sweet and sour' shrimp dish is also incredible! There are so many great dishes on the ship, make sure to try all you can!!

Eh, there are still dishes I have yet to try, but try to add something to add each cruise!! I am NOT scared to "pleasantly spit something in my napkin", but I feel it a great opportunity to try new things!!! LOL! You are right, no need to pass up the opportunity!!!!! Some of the things I mentioned are MY favorites but may not necessarily be yours... but I really do highly recommend them! LOL! I was NEVER a mushroom or pumpkin fan until Carnival came along... now I try to recreate both! LOL!!!!!!!!!! Have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!

Escargot has the consistency of a mushroom. They are not fishy or mussel tasting. They are excellent. Actually you taste more of the garlic and butter than anyting else.

Try them! Try anything you are even wondering about because its's all paid for already.

I agree... I have had escargot once on the ship and 4 times in other restaurants... they have all tasted differently... worth a try. the escargot on the ship are very good and share them with the table. Go into it with an open mind and you might enjoy it! It took me three times to really enjoy it, but I let the thought of "what it was" get to me... they truly are a delicasy!!!!

One of my favorite dishes was served the last night of dinner (on our 7 night cruise). It was called the 'Delice of the Ocean, Newburg-Style.' What is it you may be wondering. Well, I'll tell ya! It's black tiger prawns, ocean scallops & Maine lobster tossed in a creamy sherry sauce (think gravy). It is DEEEEEELISH!!!!!! :D

I don't know about all you other people, but that pumpkin soup was NASTY & the flourless cake was tasteless! :o

And don't forget, if nothing on the menu tickles your fancy, you can always order New York Strip every single night. Just ask for it!

Enjoy!!!

Happy sailing,

T.

I loved the Seafood Newburg T!!! But I also loved the Pumpkin soup!! I actually have ordered two orders each time !LOL! I have never made it to dessert, so I don't know about the cake! LOL!!!! The escargot do have a different consistency and worth a try!!! They are similar to a mushroom.... try one! If you don't like it, politely "put" it in your napkin :eek:

Good escargot has a nice consistancy... if it is at all overcooked however, it will probably be a bit rubbery, as is true with any kind of shellfish. As for the taste, it *should* be very subtle.... a nice compliment to the sauce it is in (usually herbed butter with garlic). Its hit or miss on a ship. I'd try them, but if you think or some reason they weren't top quality, but you didnt mind them (hey, these things happen, they're cooking for a TON of people) I'd also try it at a top quality restaurant if you're able to. If you don't mind so-so escargot, no doubt you will love good escargot.

Atakat - Lest you begin to think that all food is soups and appetizers:D.....

Carnival does a wondeful job with entrees. Some of my favorites are Beef Wellington, Chateaubriand, Lamb, Chilean Sea Bass, Delice of the Sea, Long Island Duckling, to name a few. I've never gotten a bad lobster tail, and usually have two.

Being from N.O., I wasn't wild about their method of preparing gumbo, but I'm sure most others like it. I love cold soups, so I always enjoy the Gazpacho Andoulase, Viccysoisse, and Strawberry Bisque.

The escargots I tried were too chewy, but ok, and you mostly taste the butter and garlic anyway. If you've never tried them, at least try it once.

Desserts - hmmm, I think that's something Carnival could improve on. Some are very good, but I have yet to have any dessert that I considered outstanding. Anything with "Napoleon" in the name is a good bet - they do well with the pastry type desserts. Can't say that I enjoyed the flourless chocolate cake - very bland to me.

The Deli - if your ship has one - has great Reuben sandwiches. The pizzeria has excellent pizza, especially the goat cheese...and also the calzones are very good.

Don't miss breakfast in the dining room. Eggs Benedict, Strawberry Crepes, Belgian Waffles w/warm strawberry glaze... Very standard food is served on the Lido Deck for breakfast. But if you like bacon, eggs, toast, and oatmeal, go for it.

I have all three meals in the dining room. It's a delight to be pampered, and I've done the buffet for lunch only a very few times....I can do buffets at home. I'm a retired caterer and Food & Beverage director for hotels and country clubs, so I like being catered TO at this point in my life.:D

One thing for sure - you won't ever say you're hungry on a cruise...just too many opportunities to eat. Don't forget about room service!:)

I think I am the only person that has not cared for the beef wellington! LOL! I have had it several times in Australia, and I guess since they use "cow" in the US, I don' tcare for it as much!! !!LOL! I also did not care for the Strawberry bisque, but I'm not a "sweets" person... I agree that the gumbo of any sort on the ship is lacking... if you are used to a good gumbo... but rest assured you will get good food! I have found the lobster to be a bit dry... then again, being from MD, we can get decent lobster and seafood, so I'm a bit particular... You will be happy with many dishes, try all you can!!!

I had to drink a few glasses of wine to even try the escargot but once I did, I really liked it. Of course if you put enough butter and garlic on it, it's got to be good! I also ate raw oysters but that was in port and it took many beers and margarita's before I did them, but once again with enough lime and tabasco sauce, it's got to be good!!

I'll have to try the pumpkin soup next time. I ordered chicken enchiladas with a pumpkin mole sauce in a restaurant last night that were excellent. Sometimes you just have to jump out there and give new things a shot even if you don't think you'll like them.

Suz

Archived