Any dishes not to miss....

atakkat

I agree that the deserts leave something to be desired. But let's face it, by the time I get to desert I.m usually stuffed. I love the pumpkin soup and the escargot. French onion soup is also good. I HATED the beef wellington,yuck! But that's just my opinion. Lots of people love it. Lobster is very good,especially for the quanity that is being prepared. The steak is always good. And like the above posters have said-try all the stuff you have always wanted to but were afraid to try. Have fun.

Laura

I had forgotten about the Grand Marnier souffle. That was to die for!!! The mushroom ragout was also fantastic. I can't stand mushrooms but I ordered it because it said that it was served in the puff pastry and I love that. I ended up enjoying the mushrooms too! Like others have said, this is definitely the time to try dishes that you normally wouldn't if you had to pay extra for them. If you don't like it, the waiter will just ask you if you'd like something different.

Julie

I'm not sure if all ships have the coffee/pastry bar....I know Destiny and Conquest class do...but the chocolate cake from there is a slice of pure heaven. I always take it back to my cabin and put a lid over it and eat on it all day long. I want to say it was $2 or $3? The carrot cake is scrumptious as well, if I'm not in the mood for chocolate......but that doesn't happen too often!

A couple things come to mind when I think "YUCK" and that was the lamb, which was not done and totally gross; and the California Rolls we ordered for lunch one day...never again! We had lots of really good stuff, but my favorite was the Chilled Strawberry Soup...please fill my thermos jug to go! Who can not stop at ordering at least three servings of Creme Brulae (sp?)?? YUMMY! Dinner at Nick and Nora's was awesome...my 95 pound 13 year old couldn't resist the last bite of his 24 oz. Porterhouse steak (which makes him at least 96 pounds 8 ounces after dinner? :) I'm sure there was much more that we did and didn't like, but we had so much fun with our tablemates all week, I can't remember most of what we ate :)

A few dishes I look forward to..

The beef burgudy and rice on the lido deck buffet the day of embarkation...nothing too special about it...it is just good!

The Mango Cream Soup, and any other soup offered...

Chateaubriand..YUM

Any starter consisting of tropical fruit or baby veggies!

The mongolian steak salad offered in the dining room at lunch is also tasty :)

Counting the last few days till I can pig out on the Conquest 2/13...then it's back home to diet city!

GC,

The mushrooms and puff pastry sounds VERY similar to something we had on our very first cruise on Celebrity, and that one thing is the most fond food memory I have of that cruise...lol....well, that and the chilled pear soup...OMG it was fabulous!!! If we end up sitting together, you HAVE to make sure I order it, sometimes I skip over the menu, if I have had a foo foo or five ..lol. I am SOOOOO looking forward to finally meeting you, I think I am the only one from Dallas that missed that opportunity, except hubs of course. And a little secret, he is turning 50 right after we get back, so Shur has a surprise for him...LOL. We iz gonna have SOOOO much fun!!!

Judy

I have to agree, the Pumpkin Soup is the best!!! I also loved the pork chops. I'm probably the only one, but I did not find the lobster that great -- but that's because I'm from Canada's east coast and we are used to cold water lobster, not warm water lobster. If you ever get the chance, get either Nova Scotia or Maine lobster -- the best (even our taxi driver in Miami said the same thing). Also try the smoked salmon (breakfast). It's from Nova Scotia and wonderful.

Don't miss the hamburgers .... yummmy, and the hot dogs are good too. And if you have it, Hong Kong Noodle. Not to mention the deli and pizza ...... I'm getting hungry.

Oh yeah, loved the lemonade.

The first night I ordered a dessert that was to die for - I think "Passionfruit Cream" - or something like that. The only "fruity" dessert that night. It was delicious - my sister agreed - I gave her a taste and she thought it was far better than her chocolate dessert. Also another big thumbs up for the pumpkin soup!

The great thing about eating on a cruise is the variety and the imagination that goes into the dishes. I'll try anything - it probably won't taste like I thought it would. Fois Gras - terrific. Doesn't taste like liver at all. The chefs use combinations of spices/herbs that I would never think to use and they usually turn out great.

Of course different people have different tastes - so you can always send it back and try another. I wonder if anyone has ever ordered all the entrees for an evening? Sometimes its so hard to choose. I hope they never combine the lobster and the rack of lamb in one night. I'd be labeled a glutton for sure.

Just reading this thread is making me really hungry. :p

I also loved the pork chops.

This will probably be one thing that I won't try because my family buys a hog every year so we eat a lot of pork. My mom's pork chops are really good so I just can't imagine eating anyone else's. Same with chili!

I NEVER miss :

Starters:

GRAVLAKS - Thinly Sliced Norwegian Fjord Salmon Cured with Dill and Brandy Presented with a Sour Cream Mustard Sauce ( I will order 2-3 of these!)

Escargots Bourguignonne - Burgundy Snails in Garlic Butter with an Infusion of Chablis and Pernod (I will order THREE)

Main Courses:

Pepper-Seared Supreme of Young Long Island Duckling (I will order 2)

The reason I will order 2-3 of the above, is that I KNOW I will not waste any! I usually cut back somewhere else in the menu (no dessert some nights) to make room!

Tom

Regarding the aforementioned GRAVLAKS - on our recent Legend cruise I mentioned to the supper club hostess (Lobke) that by coming to the Golden Fleece that night I would be missing GRAVLAKS in the main dining room.

Turns out she is engaged to the chef, and the next night at dinner I had three ENTREE sized plates of GRAVLAKS brought to me as a starter... talk about overkill.... I did my best to finish them off, and left VERY LITTLE room for the rest of the meal...:D

Tom

Archived