Wi-Fi In McDonalds in Istanbul and other Turkey Ports

In the US, all McDonalds now have free Wi-Fi at its restaurants which I use when we cruise and stop at an American port...especially in Hawaii.

I found a web site...

http://www.hotspot-locations.com/modules.php?hs_city=&hs_operator=&hs_state=&hsl_countryhs=TR&hsl_type=&name=HotSpots&op=hotspot_query&search=Search

that indicates that the McDonalds in Turkey have Wi-Fi for a fee.

Anyone have any experience with this service? Is the fee reasonable? Is the speed reasonable?

Also, in the US while the Wi-Fi at Starbucks has a fee, I'm told if I just register one gift card at the Starbucks web site and carry it with me and show it to the clerk at Starbucks (in the US) that the W-Fi is then free.

I notice now that Turkey also lists some Starbucks with Wi-Fi. I wonder if it will also be free if I have a registered gift card. Any experience with this in Turkey, or elsewhere in the Med.

I'm going to be 30 days on the Prinsendam in Oct/Nov in the Med and Black Sea and just working on various issues, especially Wi-Fi.

Turkey is a VERY wired country.

The food there is too good for me to have ever stopped at a McDonald's and their coffee is really coffee, so I have never gone to a Starbuck's there either.

That said, there are coffee shops and cafes all over and many/most have wifi .. either free or for a nominal cost. I've "wasted" many an hour in such places (of course, being seriously old, I started doing this in Istanbul before wifi was invented and I actually had to read a book or <gasp> talk with my fellow patrons)

Last year on the Prinsendam, Black Sea and TA, my husband would sometimes ask the waiters and cabin attendants where the free WiFi was. You see them getting off the ship with their computers and they seemed to know where to go. He found free WiFi on his IPhone in all 23 ports except Gabes, Tunisia.

Places like McDonalds and Burger King were also good bets.

In Istanbul we go off the tram at the first stop after Eminonu - we got off the tram , he checked and sent his mail, and we got back on. We didn't leave the tram boarding area.

Archived