Rome hotel recommendations...

bookpusher

Looking for reasonably priced hotel in Rome for 3 nights; one pre-cruise and two post cruise. Would like it close to transportation to the port and also close to transportation to roam around Rome after our cruise!

Looking for reasonably priced hotel in Rome for 3 nights; one pre-cruise and two post cruise. Would like it close to transportation to the port and also close to transportation to roam around Rome after our cruise!

Sorry I don't have a recommendation for you....I'm looking for the same thing. We sail on RCLs Navigator in October. I just bought Rick Steve's Italy guidebook, so maybe I can find a hotel suggested in it. I'll apost if I find anything good.

So R Steve's suggestions are all over E200/night. I want something less than that. I am checking Trip Advisor....and also looking on venere.com which seems to be a good hotel booking site for Europe. They also have reviews. I think we want to stay near the Termini train station.

So R Steve's suggestions are all over E200/night. I want something less than that. I am checking Trip Advisor....and also looking on venere.com which seems to be a good hotel booking site for Europe. They also have reviews. I think we want to stay near the Termini train station.

We were thinking about staying near Termini, too, only b/c we will most likely take the train into Rome from the airport and then back to Rome from the port after the cruise. If you find anything that seems to be safe and clean, please post. I will do the same. My eyes get tired reading all those reviews from TripAdvisor. Hopefully, someone who has been there recently will reply to this thread.

We were thinking about staying near Termini, too, only b/c we will most likely take the train into Rome from the airport and then back to Rome from the port after the cruise. If you find anything that seems to be safe and clean, please post. I will do the same. My eyes get tired reading all those reviews from TripAdvisor. Hopefully, someone who has been there recently will reply to this thread.

Hey all

I went to rome in 2008 and stayed in piazza navona area, great place to walk everywhere. Found our place on freereservation.com may be worthwhile to check it out. another place to look at is cross-pollinate.com one more other option is welromehotel.it some of the places are less than 100E.

We had a great time anywhere we went, just be street savvy like you would be in any big city in USA.

happy travels

On a few occasions, we have stayed at Hotel Mozart. It is a small, charming 3 star hotel, approx. 200 euros a night and is in an unbeatable location between the Spanish Steps and Piazza del Popolo for general sightseeing (and shopping!).

Termini is not the most charming area of Rome, but there should be hotels available there in your price range.

If you are willing to consider something in a more central area for sightseeing on foot (and more charming at night), I have heard Hotel Smeraldo near Piazza Navona recommended very frequently here, and the prices are very reasonable. They do book up though.

I'd suggest Hotel Paba on Via Cavour. Very neat, clean, close to Colosseum. On second floor with elevator. Owner is Alberta, speaks wonderful English. I posted an Equinox review May 31, info below is copied and pasted from that review:

Now, to the cruise....we arrived in Rome on the Tuesday prior to the cruise, which left on a Friday. We stayed at the Paba Hotel on Via Cavour near the Colosseum. It is an affordable, pleasant place to stay, run by a lovely lady named Alberta, who speaks fluent English and is extremely helpful and eager to make your stay as nice as possible. Since we were out of the hotel from 8:30 a.m. until at least 10:00 p.m., we wanted somewhere clean, safe and affordable. The rooms are not "fancy" but are larger than the European norm, very clean, with twin beds, tv, air conditioning, breakfast in the morning. Bathrooms are small but not tiny and have a hair dryer. The rooms also have a coffee set up and tv. The hotel is on the second floor but has an elevator. One negative might be that there is a tiny little lobby but no real foyer with seating. This didn't bother us but it may be an issue for some people. The Colosseum and other nearby attractions are in easy walking distance so this hotel was great for us. Alberta and her warm personality make the hotel even more attractive.

On Friday morning we took a cab (arranged by Alberta)to the terminal. We arrived around 11:00 and walked straight through and onto the ship within 15 minutes maximum. We were through so fast I can't even tell you anything about it, just that it was super-quick! Rooms weren't ready so we headed to lunch.

Hope this helps you.

We always stay at the Hotel Canada near Termini. It is a Best Western Hotel and quite charming. The lobby and rooms are very pretty and it is very clean. They also serve a nice breakfast which is included in the price. There are quite a few side walk cafes that open up at night and are quite good. You are only a few blocks from Termini where you can catch the train to and from the airport and the port. There is a subway stop at the station and the hop on hop off buses can also be boarded there.

Carol

On a few occasions, we have stayed at Hotel Mozart. It is a small, charming 3 star hotel, approx. 200 euros a night and is in an unbeatable location between the Spanish Steps and Piazza del Popolo for general sightseeing (and shopping!).

We too stayed at Hotel Mozart (our first trip to Europe) and it is indeed a nice clean safe hotel. Even has a small elevator (key word is small :D)

But agree that Venere.com is a really great site to BEGIN your search. Find 3 or 4 that look good, then go to Tripadvisor and read reviews. Then narrow down to 1 or 2 and come back here and ask about those. This method has worked for us.

There are just too many hotels (all sizes, prices, locations etc) in Rome to just ask for a reasonably priced hotel and not get responses from all over the place.......

Really highly recommend Hotel Raffaello; about 3-4 blocks from Termini, on a very quiet side street just off Via Cavour; about 5-6 blocks to the Colosseum and just a bit farther to the Forum/Trajan's Market area. Family owned, very nice buffet breakfast, large (for Rome) rooms and helpful staff.

I believe this hotel gets good marks on Trip Advisor although I caution you that I have been led astray a time or two by overly favorable reviews on that site.

When we were there in January our room was 70 euros/night incl. breakfast. I got the best rate by contacting the hotel directly.

Cathy

If you want to be in the middle of everything I reccomend The Hotel Ponte Sisto, great people, great location!

The other option is the Crown Plaza St. Peters, its a great value if you dont mind taking the bus/cab into the center of the city!

Archived