Princess Rail From Denali - Boarding in Whittier

happytrails42

This may have already been asked/answered but here it is again ...

We will be on the Coral Princess :D:D in several weeks -- however, we are doing the land portion of our cruisetour package first.

We will be taking Princess rail from Denali to Whittier -- an all-day trip. Does anyone have any idea as to the length of time it takes you to board the ship after the all-day train ride?

Also, if you have selected the first seating in the MDR, how does this work on the first evening of the trip?:confused:

Many thanks and we're counting the days ...

Princess staff will do your check in on the train. You'll get your room card on the train. When the train stops in Whittier, you will walk across the street and into the terminal for a security screening. Everyone will be off the train and on the ship in about 30 minutes.

I think the 1st night is open seating. If the train is on time and arrives in Whittier at 5:30, you should be on the ship by 6pm.

Another question re the rail -- can you tell me what types of food options are available? I've read that the rail folks aren't too happy if you bring food on board :(

Also, can you give guess estimates as to the cost of food on the rail too?

My apologies for the 20 questions ...

Hi - we're on the same roll call and maybe in the same Princess Lodges at the same time with you.

I saw a thread yesterday that had menu pictures of the food options available on the train but it was for the Alaska RR and not specific to Princess. Seems each cruiseline has their own kitchen (what I read) but apparently the food selections are similar. They had salads, sandwiches, etc. Not sure about full course meals but the prices ranged from 10 to 18 dollars if I remember correctly. Looks to be no more expensive than prices I've seen for food in other places in Alaska. You can get a $6 burger for $16. :D

Sorry I can't be more specific but you may want to search this site for that thread.

See you in a few weeks

Hi there -- you are right -- we're on the same roll call for the upcoming trip. I for one cannot wait -- definitely need a break from the M/F 9-5 action. :(

According to our paperwork, we're at the Denali Princess for 2 nights. We're doing the tundra tour instead of the natural history one -- it suits us better.

I guess we better start rolling our pennies for the $16 burger :p We plan to take a couple of things in our knapsacks as well.

Hi there -- you are right -- we're on the same roll call for the upcoming trip. I for one cannot wait -- definitely need a break from the M/F 9-5 action. :(

According to our paperwork, we're at the Denali Princess for 2 nights. We're doing the tundra tour instead of the natural history one -- it suits us better.

I guess we better start rolling our pennies for the $16 burger :p We plan to take a couple of things in our knapsacks as well.

We're on the same one, too! What time is our TWT? I think we are scheduled for 6:15 AM. Please look for us. Photo in profile (oviously). I am 5' , Jeff is close to 6' and we both like to eat;) so we are both 4' around! Can't wait...

We're on the same one, too! What time is our TWT? I think we are scheduled for 6:15 AM. Please look for us. Photo in profile (oviously). I am 5' , Jeff is close to 6' and we both like to eat;) so we are both 4' around! Can't wait...

Hi there Linda & Jeff. According to the Princess itinerary, it looks like the TWT is from 6:00 am - 3:00 pm. Somewhere else on CC, we saw that apparently they will give us a boarding time ticket -- or something similar that indicates the actual time you depart for the tour. We're excited about the tour but dreading getting our behinds up so early :p

I believe we will also be getting a box lunch from the joint across the road (Salmon Bake) who will deliver to the lodge since I read somewhere else on CC the "snack" provided leaves something to be desired. We may actually be partaking there possibly the evening before instead of eating in the lodge. The menu looks good and somewhat reasonable and we're thinking it's probably better tasting that the lodge grub. They will also take a reservation which works for us!

We love food too :D:D!! I tried to upload photo so possibly the folks we're "talking" to could recognize us but it fails each time. Don't know what I'm doing wrong ... :confused: .

Looks like we may be on the same train out of Anchorage on Tuesday morning since we will be at the same lodges on the same days. Maybe we'll be in the same Princess train car. Will look for you.

We're going white water rafting on our full day at Denali and have just booked a flightseeing/glacier landing excursion while at McKinley.

BTW - who doesn't like to eat (except Twiggy)? :D

See you soon.

Wayne & Sherry

Hi there Linda & Jeff. ...

I believe we will also be getting a box lunch from the joint across the road (Salmon Bake) who will deliver to the lodge since I read somewhere else on CC the "snack" provided leaves something to be desired. We may actually be partaking there possibly the evening before instead of eating in the lodge. The menu looks good and somewhat reasonable and we're thinking it's probably better tasting that the lodge grub. They will also take a reservation which works for us!

We love food too :D:D!! I tried to upload photo so possibly the folks we're "talking" to could recognize us but it fails each time. Don't know what I'm doing wrong ... :confused: .

. Thanks for the idea about Salmon Bake sounds like it will be better than Subway which I was thinking of doing. Did you try resizing and or compressing your photo? Make sure it is 100 by 100 pixels or less. mine kept saying it errored but then it was there anyway but it took about 3 or 4 tries. We'll look for you...

Looks like we may be on the same train out of Anchorage on Tuesday morning since we will be at the same lodges on the same days. Maybe we'll be in the same Princess train car. Will look for you.

We're going white water rafting on our full day at Denali and have just booked a flightseeing/glacier landing excursion while at McKinley.

BTW - who doesn't like to eat (except Twiggy)? :D

See you soon.

Wayne & Sherry

Sounds like we'll be on the same train to Whittier but we are starting out in Fairbanks rather than Anchorage. I love Anchorage but we won't make it there. We are also doing the whitewater but I think we are doing it the day before you. Look for us at the lodge though...

Sounds like we'll be on the same train to Whittier but we are starting out in Fairbanks rather than Anchorage. I love Anchorage but we won't make it there. We are also doing the whitewater but I think we are doing it the day before you. Look for us at the lodge though...

Hi Linda & Jeff -- quick ? when will you be in Fairbanks and for how long? Our trip starts w/one night in Seattle b4 they fly us to Fairbanks for 1 night and then 2 in Denali.

Re the photo -- I have no clue :confused: about how to reduce the photo size, I'm just a point and shoot kinda girl ;) I'm sure I'll have it figured out b4 leaving ... well ... maybe not :p

PS -- I read somewhere else that there's a rib joint up the road from the Denali lodge but haven't seen the name and do not know if they have a shuttle either :( You can see the menu for the Denali Salmon Bake online.

Maverick6969 -- what company are you doing the raft trip through? I talked myself out of the flightseeing -- too chicken but it definitely is the chance of a lifetime -- ENJOY!

Hi Linda & Jeff -- quick ? when will you be in Fairbanks and for how long? Our trip starts w/one night in Seattle b4 they fly us to Fairbanks for 1 night and then 2 in Denali.

Re the photo -- I have no clue :confused: about how to reduce the photo size, I'm just a point and shoot kinda girl ;) I'm sure I'll have it figured out b4 leaving ... well ... maybe not :p

PS -- I read somewhere else that there's a rib joint up the road from the Denali lodge but haven't seen the name and do not know if they have a shuttle either :( You can see the menu for the Denali Salmon Bake online.

!

We're in Denali the evening of the 1st and 2nd. TWT is the 2nd. We are in Fairbanks on the evening of the 29 and 30th.

Try opening your photo with windows picture manager I think it's called. Then click edit and resize. The drop down will give you an option for web small. That should work. Or youcan type 100 by 100 pixels in the box. I hope it works. Thinking of renting a car in Fairbanks for the day. What are you doing there?

Is it better to start our cruise tour in Anchorage or Fairbanks? It seems like the tour that starts in Anchorage, goes to Mt. McKinley, then onto Denali has a really long, all day train ride back to Whittier to board the ship from Denali. Or should we start out in Fairbanks, go to Denali, then to Mt. McKinley for a shorter train ride back to Whittier? Any thoughts, comments?

We're in Denali the evening of the 1st and 2nd. TWT is the 2nd. We are in Fairbanks on the evening of the 29 and 30th.

Try opening your photo with windows picture manager I think it's called. Then click edit and resize. The drop down will give you an option for web small. That should work. Or youcan type 100 by 100 pixels in the box. I hope it works. Thinking of renting a car in Fairbanks for the day. What are you doing there?

:D Hi guys -- I hope you are well and counting the days ... We are in Fairbanks the evening of 6/30 at the Princess Fairbanks Riverside Lodge. We had a special note put in our file for Sophie's Station but according to the TA -- which I asked to contact Princess to see if we could be moved, the answer came back no :(. Princess likes to keep the cruisetour group together -- so the TA said -- and use the other hotels, Sophie's, Bear Lodge and Pikes as "overflow" -- their words.

As far as what we're doing in Fairbanks, no plans as of yet for the day of arrival. Our tour includes the paddlewheel boat tour (7/1 -- 8:15 am - 1:00 pm) and the location is in close proximity to the lodge -- go figure. After the tour, we're on a coach @ 2:15 to Denali and should arrive by 5:30.

18 more working days ... :D:D

PS -- resized photo but still failed when I tried to upload for the signature but I was able to attach it :p

PPS -- who's on the rail from Denali to Whittier on July 3?

503508164_mesaverde.jpg.5e27186d38aacf4427d33960a6f4e1e0.jpg

:D Hi guys -- I hope you are well and counting the days ... We are in Fairbanks the evening of 6/30 at the Princess Fairbanks Riverside Lodge. We had a special note put in our file for Sophie's Station but according to the TA -- which I asked to contact Princess to see if we could be moved, the answer came back no :(. Princess likes to keep the cruisetour group together -- so the TA said -- and use the other hotels, Sophie's, Bear Lodge and Pikes as "overflow" -- their words.

As far as what we're doing in Fairbanks, no plans as of yet for the day of arrival. Our tour includes the paddlewheel boat tour (7/1 -- 8:15 am - 1:00 pm) and the location is in close proximity to the lodge -- go figure. After the tour, we're on a coach @ 2:15 to Denali and should arrive by 5:30.

PS -- resized photo but still failed when I tried to upload for the signature but I was able to attach it :p

I guess we are overflow! They put us at Pike's Waterfront Lodge which is right next door to the Princesss Lodge. We are on the 1:30 Riverboat on 6/30. But we are on the rail from Denali to Whittier on the the 3rd. It is an all day affair so maybe we will spot each other. They flight Princess ut us on from Seattle to Fairbanks results in us losing a good portion of our time in Fairbanks and more time at the airport hotel in Seattle. We will not be arriving in Fairbanks until well after 5:00 PM on the 29th. We were supposed to be on a morning flight. So much for booking early...lousy flight and an overflow hotel. However, I did hear on the boards that Pikes is very nice. So, that part should be good. It has a nice outdoor deck on the river. We will look for you. Glad you were able to post your photo!

Hi again happytrails42 - Can you recommend some place nice to live in DC...our son just got accepted into Georgetown (off the waiting list - that is why we are finding out so late) and now we are scrambling for a place and we don't know anyone there. He is in his early 30's so undergrad housing is not really going to be his style. He will be entering as a junior. Thanks for any help/ideas you have.

Hi again happytrails42 - Can you recommend some place nice to live in DC...our son just got accepted into Georgetown (off the waiting list - that is why we are finding out so late) and now we are scrambling for a place and we don't know anyone there. He is in his early 30's so undergrad housing is not really going to be his style. He will be entering as a junior. Thanks for any help/ideas you have.

Congrats on your son's acceptance into Georgetown! Even though both of us are native "Washingtonians" neither of us have ever lived in the city. That being said he may be more at home in Arlington or Old Towne, VA or maybe Silver Spring or Bethesda, MD. I work with a couple of folks who live in DC so let me ask around. The places mentioned above are subway accessible.

Congrats on your son's acceptance into Georgetown! Even though both of us are native "Washingtonians" neither of us have ever lived in the city. That being said he may be more at home in Arlington or Old Towne, VA or maybe Silver Spring or Bethesda, MD. I work with a couple of folks who live in DC so let me ask around. The places mentioned above are subway accessible.

Thanks! We'll check it out.

We were doing this just a few weeks ago and the train is so easy it is ridiculous. It was the best embarkation we have ever had and no one on the train questioned that we had our own coffee with us and bagels. The staff was great and to say we were amazed is an understatement. Our luggage was tagged and checked at the train station and next time we saw it was in our stateroom.

We had all sorts of anxiety with schedules and just general lack of knowledge but the AK RR was the best travel decision we have made in a long time! They took the worry our of our trip and gave us views you will never forget.

have fun and enjoy....

We're mulling over the idea of taking a box lunch on the train ;) but we're also wondering about the backlash from the train personnel. Anyone??

nope, you can bring and eat anything you wish, and I would recommend you consider doing so especially with a long train ride.

Is it better to start our cruise tour in Anchorage or Fairbanks? It seems like the tour that starts in Anchorage, goes to Mt. McKinley, then onto Denali has a really long, all day train ride back to Whittier to board the ship from Denali. Or should we start out in Fairbanks, go to Denali, then to Mt. McKinley for a shorter train ride back to Whittier? Any thoughts, comments?

I suggest you look carefully at the descriptions and take additional ideas from this board. In my opinion, the "train" shouldn't be the priority, the time and destinations should. Your Whittier/Denali reference of being "long" is correct at 10 hours, but, if it gets you two days in Denali Park (still not a lot) compared to one on your segemented trip, the long ride is a better trade off. Now if your priority is trains, you are missing the highlight all together with Princess, so either go independent of with a Seward cruisetour, and the train Anchorage/Seward.

Overall with cruisetours- time is a very very important factor, avoid short cruisetours, since way too much time is in transit.

Archived