Paradores of Spain and the Trenhotel

dino2067

We are are considering visiting/staying at various Paradores in Spain post-cruise (we disembark in Barcelona) and (possibly) utilizing the Trenhotel night train as one of the modes of transportation to get there.

Have any of you traveled via the Trenhotel and/or have stayed at any of the Paradores and what were your impressions of the train and/or the Paradores?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Kathleen

I've taken the Miro (Paris to Barcelona). Nice train. It is probably more cost efficient to fly, but I enjoy train travel.

The Paradores vary greatly. Some are excellent; some are merely over-priced places to sleep. Their kitchens are even more varied.

We are are considering visiting/staying at various Paradores in Spain post-cruise (we disembark in Barcelona) and (possibly) utilizing the Trenhotel night train as one of the modes of transportation to get there.

Have any of you traveled via the Trenhotel and/or have stayed at any of the Paradores and what were your impressions of the train and/or the Paradores?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Kathleen

I don't the see the relation. Trenhotel http://www.elipsos.com/ is a long distance train that goes from Barcelona to either Paris, Zurich or Milan. I took it and it was good comfortable overnight transportation between Paris and Barcelona. It travels at night and there is not much sightseeing there.

Paradors are mostly historic (but sometimes modern hotels) that are suitable for people with a car who would like to follow a suggested sightseeing route. There are several in Catalonia but not near Barcelona See http://www.parador.es

I don't the see the relation. Trenhotel http://www.elipsos.com/ is a long distance train that goes from Barcelona to either Paris, Zurich or Milan. I took it and it was good comfortable overnight transportation between Paris and Barcelona. It travels at night and there is not much sightseeing there.

Paradors are mostly historic (but sometimes modern hotels) that are suitable for people with a car who would like to follow a suggested sightseeing route. There are several in Catalonia but not near Barcelona See http://www.parador.es

Hi hkto,

Besides the International runs, there is a National Trenhotel that runs in Spain...from Barcelona to Granada as an example. While flying probably would be more cost effective, we are less concerned with cost as we love the train travel and see the benefit (for us) of traveling at night.

If you have had the pleasure of staying at a Parador, is there any you would recommend?

If you have had the pleasure of staying at a Parador, is there any you would recommend?

Both the Parador de Toledo and Parador de Segovia have beautiful views over their respective towns. They are more convenient if you have a car, especially the Segovia hotel, which quite a ways out of town. The Parador de Ronda is situated on the gorge next to the Puente Nuevo ("New" Bridge), again with a great view. It gets busy with tour buses though.

The most sought after rooms would be at the Parador San Francisco of Granada. This hotel is actually part of the Alhambra Palace. Unfortunately I've not had the pleasure to stay there myself.

Tip: After your first parador stay, become a member (Amigo) for the extra perks.

My husband and my parents stayed in the Parador in Jaen in January 2008. It is set in/by a hilltop fortress. The accommodation was nice and the restaurant was fabulous.

I agree with the statement that you will need a car if you are planning to stay in one as few are within easy access of public transport or city centres.

http://www.paradores-spain.com/spain/pjaen.html

We travelled on the trenhotel btw Barcelona and Granada a couple of years ago. Wouldn't recommend it. Sleeping accommodation is tiny - no room to swing a cat, though I don't suppose you'll be taking a cat. Seriously though, there was barely room to turn around and we are not big people. Didn't get a wink of sleep - constant rattling and creaking through the night as the train passed through points, not the gentle rhythmic train sound you might expect. :(

TrenHotel is not a really nice experience. Based in the old Spanish Talgo trains system were in a time the pride of the Spanish railways but a little bit outdated. You have Tourist, Preference Class for the sitting and shared cabins of four with insuite basin. Then Preference Cabins for two, and Grand Class with dinner and breakfast included as well as Insuite facilities (showers).

Paradores is a fantastic experience to know the real Spain in historical places. Castles, monasteries, and are usually luxurious and expensive. You have usually five star ones, and a couple five stars GRAND LUXURY, being the Hostal De Los Reyes Catolicos in Santiago de Compostela, the best of all them.

We have enjoyed every Parador we have stayed at or visited, but they do vary in style greatly. Jaen was probably our favorite.

They typically require a car though, so might not work with a train option.

If you sign up for their e-mails there are often specials and discounts that pop up.

But they are all over the country. The ones closest to Barcelona are nowhere near the city, and again, require a car rental.

We found that one-way car rentals (pick up in one city, drop off in another), to be convenient, but much more expensive, since you are limited to the major rental agencies and can't use the budget ones for this purpose.

Archived