Third Party Authorization Form

kim826

I am organizing a family reunion cruise and using my credit card as I am paying for the cruises (birthday/Christmas presents for many years). I just received notice from the online travel agent I am using that a third party credit card authorization form must be filled out. This requires copies of the front and back of my credit card as well as a copy of my drivers license. I have never had to do this before. Is this a normal procedure?

I am organizing a family reunion cruise and using my credit card as I am paying for the cruises (birthday/Christmas presents for many years). I just received notice from the online travel agent I am using that a third party credit card authorization form must be filled out. This requires copies of the front and back of my credit card as well as a copy of my drivers license. I have never had to do this before. Is this a normal procedure?

I have never heard of this but that doesn't mean that it hasn't been done. By filling out that third party authorization form you are giving permission for a third party (or company) authorization to do business on your behalf.

Google Third Party Authorization Forms and look at the different examples that are shown.

If it was I, I would do my family reunion cruise business directly with the cruiseline. Tell them you are doing a group cruise and they will send you to the right department (group cruising) you will need. And then you will have more control over your cruise then you will have using an agency.

I'm not sure the "third party authorization" would make me feel warm and fuzzy. I know we can't discuss particular TA's, but is it a well known, reputable TA?

Regardless, I think I would agree with Lady Cruiser. Work directly with the cruiseline group department.

We've done 2 large family cruises and not had to do this with our brick and mortar TA. Why would you need to do a third party authorization? You are paying for it all, not a third party.

If it is for authorizing on board expenses to be charged to your card, your card is registered with the ship, but they do not require photocopies of anything. And that info can be given directly to the cruise line just before you sail - it doesn't have to be registered when you make your reservations.

As a former retail manager, I am extremely hesitant whenever I hear of anyone saying they require a photocopy of any of your documents. To put the charge through for the initial cruise purchase, all they need is your card number, your name as it appears on your card, and your address as registered with your credit card company. They may also need your 3 digit code from the back of your CC. When they process the transaction, if it is approved, it is approved. If it isn't, it is declined. No need for the TA to have photocopies on file for proof of any of that. (And in Canada, it is illegal for them to do that).

I would ask your TA what they need it for, and challenge it. I would tell them to either process the transaction without the copies, or you can do your business elsewhere. Also, double check to make sure that the request for these documents actually came from the TA and not from a third party that has accessed their booking info and has contacted you separately posing as your TA. Don't email the TA back - make sure you phone them, and call the phone number you have for them from your initial booking, not one that may be on the request email you just received. Again, it may be a scam and they may have a different phone number listed.

We have had excellent service with TA's when organizing group cruises. They take care of a lot of details and coordinating that we just didn't want to have to take the time to do, and we have been able to get a much cheaper deal (and some nice perks) compared to what the cruise line was able to offer us.

It is a wonderful thing you are doing and I am sure your family will be very appreciative of your thoughtful gift. Please be very hesitant about sending photocopies of your documents to anyone. I would hate for such a special treat to turn into a nightmare of fraud or identity theft! Good luck. I hope all turns out well. :)

There is no reason for a third-party authorization ... your payments should be charged on behalf of the cruiseline and not the travel agency. Why would the agency need this ... unless they are planning to use your monies for whatever timeframe before remitting to the cruiseline?

Copies of DL and CC front and back? This is not normal. Sounds like it could lead to identity theft. I would be afraid, very afraid, and run from these people.

There have been nightmare stories here of agencies doing just that ... using client A monies to pay client B cruise, etc. until the red ink sank the agency and left some clients out in the cold without a cruise and without their monies.

Yes, I would contact the groups department at the cruiseline, assuming you are booking 8 cabins.

I can think of only two possible reasons for a 3rd Party Authorization form .. and they are both bad for you.

1) The TA really isn't a TA or, at least, has no agency standing with the cruise line. THey might be buying the cabin from a consolidator or some such.

2) They are a TA but are keep the money in their own account "for awhile." There are all sorts of disadvantages to you if this is true and no advantages.

I'm sure there are other reasons possible but all of them would have possible disadvantages to you and no advantages.

Actually its a TA I've been using for years, she's been to my house for dinner (before I knew she was a travel agent) and yes, they send me a bill on their letterhead. I've never had even a pinch of trouble or distrust. Quite the opposite. However, she applies my payment the day I tell her to. Basically the statement is only to let me know the total cost of the cruise and reflect payments I've made. She uses it for things like when I went to France and took a little train ride up to Amsterdam, spent the night in a hotel and came back after a night in Belgium. They are an extremely large and succesful agency in the San Diego area and if she wanted it, there was a valid reason. Its their policy and if it was an issue for a great amount of people then I doubt they'd still be around. They deal with a lot of high end clients. :D I'm one of the low end ones LOL.

I just booked some airline tickets for my parents and I had to fill out the 3rd party authorization form as the person traveling is not the person named on the credit card. I have had to do this a few times now. New age of higher security I guess.

You should only need to do the 3rd party auth form if you are not on the cruise or cross referenced with the other bookings. I am a res agent with Princess and we only ask for it if the card holder is not traveling or not cross referenced and/or has a different last name than the pax. I would definitely be asking why they need it.

You should only need to do the 3rd party auth form if you are not on the cruise or cross referenced with the other bookings. I am a res agent with Princess and we only ask for it if the card holder is not traveling or not cross referenced and/or has a different last name than the pax. I would definitely be asking why they need it.

My question (and real concern with this request) is if you need photocopies of the front and back of the credit card as well as a photocopy of the driver's license for the 3rd party authorization? I can understand filling out a form if the trip you are paying for does not include you, but I can't understand or accept the photocopies on file. It sets off all sorts of bells and whistles for me and I can see absolutely no reason for it.

I admit this is not an area I have any experience with, but it concerns me greatly for the potential for fraud and identity theft. I am curious about this issue and hope you can offer some further insight into it for us. Thanks. :)

Archived