Solstice - Blown Glass Pieces

nadalina

I understand about the occasional raffle for pieces just blown, but could someone please tell me if they sell similar products in one of the shops onboard? If so, may I assume that these pieces are NOT blown onboard but are made elsewhere in a larger type of production center?

Thanks,

Peggy

Nadalina:

We were on the inaugural of the Solstice and at that time, no pieces were sold on the ship. I spoke to one of the reps from Corning Glass and they are there strictly to demonstrate how glass is blown. Might have changed but I doubt it.

The pieces blown on-board are raffled at some of the glass shows. They are also sometimes donated to auctions to benefit non-profits

CMOG is bound by their tax status and their agreement with the line that no pieces created on-board are sold by X or CMOG for profit.

The individual artists may bring pieces they created in their own studios on board for sale in the on-board shops, but they are not pieces created on-board.

On one of our Solstice cruises Alex Brand, one of the artists on board, had shipped several privately created pieces that were on sale in the gift shop. Otherwise the gift shop may have other pieces that were created by other artists or commercially mass-produced.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I would think there would be an excellent market onboard for the artists to sell their pieces. I know I would love to have one for a souvenir, even if it was not blown onboard, but especially if I got to see the particular artist in action. Hopefully that will be the case next week.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I would think there would be an excellent market onboard for the artists to sell their pieces. I know I would love to have one for a souvenir, even if it was not blown onboard, but especially if I got to see the particular artist in action. Hopefully that will be the case next week.

The artist must pay for and arrange the shipping of their "private" peices to the ship - which adds a lot to the mark-up, so it is not always very practical to do so.

Alex Brand was opening a studio in a resort in Virgina - and got a lot of PR during the shows. I've had a couple of email correspondences with one of the other artists who had been on board when we sailed and she indicated that she had gotten a "surprising" number of requests for commissioned pieces based upon her work on board.

(she had wanted some of the pictures I had taken on-board and then my DD had won one of her pieces in one of the raffles, so she wanted to know how the piece was "doing")

Nadalina, if you get the chance, go to one of the evening glassblowing shows -- they are amazing! If enough people attend, they might have a raffle. A friend of ours won a beautiful glass dish at one of the evening shows. Good luck!

Maybe this is too obvious, but if you the know the name of one of the glass artists, you can always check his/her website for info on sales. Or, if you're interested in art glass in general, do a Google search on that topic and you'll get lots of leads.

Our son is a glass artist [beginner/apprentice] having majored in that for his BFA and we're anxious to see the CMOG show on the Celebrity ships. We've seen glassblowing many times, of course, but it's always fascinating to watch.

Maybe this is too obvious, but if you the know the name of one of the glass artists, you can always check his/her website for info on sales. Or, if you're interested in art glass in general, do a Google search on that topic and you'll get lots of leads.

Our son is a glass artist [beginner/apprentice] having majored in that for his BFA and we're anxious to see the CMOG show on the Celebrity ships. We've seen glassblowing many times, of course, but it's always fascinating to watch.

I agree, but what is a BFA?

Hi Everyone !

On our Equinox sailing last month, they auctioned 3 pieces of Glass at (I believe) the final Art Auction of the Cruise. We were told that 100% of the Proceeds were for the Corning Museum of Glass, to help the educational program. I'm very pleased this was being done, and I hope that Celebrity & Corning agrees to do additional auctions on future sailings. That is money very well spent, in my book !

For those who have not seen the Glass Blowing shows, they are spectacular, and we can't get enough of it. It's one of my favorite venues on the Solstice Class. I highly recommend attending at least one of the shows while onboard !

If you would like to read about the Corning Museum of Glass, here is a link to their website : http://www.cmog.org/

We had the pleasure of sailing with Kurt Walrath, Annette Sheppard, and Carlyn Ray on our Equinox sailing. They are all incredible artists, and a huge asset to Corning & Celebrity. If you would like to read about their work, I suggest using search engines to find their websites.

I agree, but what is a BFA?

Hi Jackdiamond !

I believe the member is speaking of a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree (BFA). I hope this helps.

I absolutely never win anything, so the chances of me winning a raffle is slim to none. I would, however, be willing to bid on an item or two if they have any auctions next week. I'll bet the winning bids are more than my budget will allow, though. Oh well, I will at least get to enjoy the shows, and thanks to wwcruisers' recommendation, I'll make sure to see one of the night shows as well.

Thanks again, All!

Peggy

Archived