Q & A From an Actual Celebrity Employee

cruiser013

Check out this link: http://www.cruisedirectonline.com/familycruises/thebestshipsfortots.htm

Celebrity appears to be in the minority on the exact issue you present. It's also clear there is no governmental regulation or "US Public Health Commission" rule directing Celebrity's decision.

Just when I was beginning to let it go...:) Thanks for the info- very kind of you to let me know that ALL the other cruiselines besides Celebrity open their play areas to supervised 6m-3 year olds. HMMM...trying to decide what to do with it or just ...let it go! :rolleyes: Thanks again!

Hi, AVC,

I hope you'll let it go this time! :) I sense you have worked yourself up a bit over this issue, and if you try to tilt at windmills with Celebrity, it could cast a cloud on your whole "predisposition" toward this cruise. I sure didn't intend to "arm you with ammo." I just wanted you to see that summary so you'd be aware of the options available to you the next time you cruise (well, maybe with your next child?!).

Of course, your Celebrity cruise is going to be so wonderful, you may never want to try another line! :cool: Let me reassure you, you and your 2yo will have a great time. You will find many ways to spend quality time with her--just not in the Fun Factory.

And, to be honest, I do have a "flip side of the coin" view on your desire to take your 27-month-old daughter to the Fun Factory. :D We've been on 11 cruises with our children (NCL, RCI, Princess & Celebrity). None of them have allowed use of the kids' program facilities outside of structured program time--so you are talking about coming into the activity center during a regularly scheduled session. Kids' programs come in all sizes of facilities, types of activities, & numbers of kids and counselors. The Celebrity age grouping is 3-6, right? That's a pretty wide spread if you think about it. As others have mentioned, there are space issues, age appropriate activity issues, disruption issues, safety issues, health issues--issues galore!--just considering the official bunch of kids, but to allow parents & their little ones 6m up to 3yo into the room at the same time...well, I can see how that could really tax the system. (I am wondering how the other lines manage it? I have not observed it being done before.)

In addition to the obvious issues, what about the point of view of the children who *belong* in that class? A 3yo probably isn't going to notice a mom and a 2yo. They might even end up playing together. But a 4yo will certainly notice, and a 6yo "big boy" or "big girl" 1st grader could be downright aggravated that "babies" are allowed, not to mention if any activities are compromised, even just to the extent the older children have to wait to do something or slow down for a little one, or a bout of crying interrupts an activity. While playing well with children of all ages is certainly something we all want our children to value and do well, you know what? Going off to "the Shipmates group" all by yourself or moving up to "the Pelicans" is a big deal, too. We parents sometimes forget, this is our kids' vacation, too, and they have built up expectations based precisely on what we've done with them pre-cruise. We've sat down and read all about the kids' program together, reassured them how it will work and where mom & dad will be while they are having a good time, and how it will be sorta like school, but more fun, kind of like camp, blahblahblah. So, one of their reasonable expectations going into the Fun Factory is that their kids' group activities that day will be age appropriate and enjoyed with their peers under the direction of counselors without parents!

There are many times over the course of childhood when kids run up against rules based on an arbitrary age limit. Sometimes, they can get very emotional about the consequences! So can their parents! You will see this when your daughter gets older. Let's say she is 6 but her friend is 7, and both are in the same 1st grade class, but when they cruise together, your daughter has to stay back with the 3-6 year olds while the 7yo goes up to the next age group. Is that fair??! Not really, but it's the rule. (And yes, most lines usually enforce their age rules because it's easier to draw a line in the sand than to make one exception, which leads to another and another.)

So, I guess my point is...sometimes there are logical rules, and other times, there are rites of passage. And it's not necessarily a bad thing for kids to learn they have to wait to reach a certain age before acquiring a privilege.

I'm thinking this is your first child and you are probably still passionately disagreeing with me?! That's good. :) It is our duty as parents to advocate what we think is best for our kids. And no matter how many parents you get in a room, that is exactly the number of expert opinions you will get on a subject! As long as we listen to each other and can laugh and cry over the trials and tribulations, it's okay.

Have a wonderful cruise! Our family cruises have given us many happy memories.

Hi, AVC,

So, I guess my point is...sometimes there are logical rules, and other times, there are rites of passage. And it's not necessarily a bad thing for kids to learn they have to wait to reach a certain age before acquiring a privilege.

I remember when my youngest son was about six and we were at the now-defunct Opryland in Nashville. He wanted more than anything to ride the roller coaster and, being very small for his age at that time, didn't pass the height test. He had to stand there and watch hulking four-year-olds ride the roller coaster when he couldn't. That's a challenge....trying to gently let a six-year-old know that the world isn't always fair without traumatizing him. Now he's 32 and about 5'10" with linebacker shoulders and a 20-inch neck and spends most of his spare time knocking four-year-olds off the roller coasters. :rolleyes:

Allen

Since you're still surfing and the original poster here has evidently been scared away...can I ask you one thing? Maybe other surfers here will have some ideas. It was asked on this board, but I didn't like any of the suggestions and thought there might be something else out there. I too am returning on a cruise and have 10-20 really neat friends who work on the ship that i would like to take something too. This guy had suggested avoiding food and alcohol, but suggested maybe caps, t-shirts, lapel pins or keychains. Any other ideas? Oh..and by the way...you did a wonderful job on your thread.

Can you shed some light into what has changed??? Curious to know...(Still surfing on here)

I just realized that there are two different people who started cruise employee threads and you still work for them. Please accept my apologies because I had you confused with the other one.

Too bad, this thread has changed course and now solely focuses on:

1. Beating on the Celebrity employee..haven't seen any new posts since the dire threat of termination.

2. The non-stop complaints about the children's center age requirement.

It was fun while it lasted.

I just realized that there are two different people who started cruise employee threads and you still work for them. Please accept my apologies because I had you confused with the other one.
I think you still may be confused. Cruiseemployee (that's me) finished working for Celebrity this past fall. This new thread has been started by a current employee. I was just reading his thread and noticed what you said about changes. Still interested to know what has changed.

Thx

Hi, AVC,

I hope you'll let it go this time! :)

I'm thinking this is your first child and you are probably still passionately disagreeing with me?! That's good. :) It is our duty as parents to advocate what we think is best for our kids. And no matter how many parents you get in a room, that is exactly the number of expert opinions you will get on a subject! As long as we listen to each other and can laugh and cry over the trials and tribulations, it's okay.

Thanks- I have let it go and we all will have a great cruise.:) I understand why there are rules and the rites of passage- I was a 2nd grade teacher. So, I thought that I would bounce the age restrictions around on these boards to hear and receive everyone's opinion and get some suggestions and feedback as I have- that what these public boards are for- Jim Munkinttrick- I apologize if this thread's direction went astray as a lot of them do. Thanks for your opinions. :D

• 2 months later...

We are going with our families to Alaska on the Infinity in August, and I was told by our sales agent there was an indoor pool they could use. All I can find is the T-pool indoors, which seems to be adult only. Is there a kid's pool that they can use if the weather in Alaska is cold? We have 2 six year olds and a three year old, and we're really hoping all of us will have a great time. BTW, this is our first cruise, so we'd appreciate any other suggestions as well. Thank you!

Hi there Help needed

First cruise booked for Eastern Med 25 July- 5 Aug 05 on Galaxy

Please help with following info:

1. Are ther coach connections from Rome DA Vinci to Civitavecchia on sailing day and on return day? If so how do I book.

2. Is it necessary to book spa treatments before starting or can we wait until on board?

3. Can we book just single spa treatments rather than full 5 hr pacakges e.g. four hands massage, reflexology, hot stones etc

4. is it necessary/desirable to book excursions in advance?

Note; have booked concierge class cabin 1100

Please send reply to dermotpbreen@eircom.net

Thank you

We are going with our families to Alaska on the Infinity in August, and I was told by our sales agent there was an indoor pool they could use. All I can find is the T-pool indoors, which seems to be adult only. Is there a kid's pool that they can use if the weather in Alaska is cold? We have 2 six year olds and a three year old, and we're really hoping all of us will have a great time. BTW, this is our first cruise, so we'd appreciate any other suggestions as well. Thank you!
They must be thinking of the Galaxy or other ships with closable roofs. While the kiddie pool on the Millennium class ships (e.g., the Infinity) is covered, it most is most definitely outdoors (aft, Deck 11, behind the kids 'fun factory' area). That pool would be fine for your 3-year-old, but may not be deep enough to keep your others amused.

That said, the weather is often warm enough up there in August where this won't be a problem for much of the trip.

Another Virgin Cruiser,

Sometimes rules don't make sense to us. Pushing the envelope to get your child into something she/he isn't ready for can create more problems. It could be the start of well, I am 13 but still feel I can have a drink, or a cigarette etc. I know that might seem farfetched, but most of those things start with people who feel rules, however silly, don't apply to them. There are reasons for rules, albeit not that we always understand them, but there is a reason and we need to follow them. I know you have given up and I applaud you for accepting the rules. If only everyone would do the same, our cruises would be better. I hope I didn't offend you, as I didn't mean to. Guess it's the grandma in me coming out.

Katie

• 3 months later...

Just thought I would post this as I am noticing there are many first time cruisers and first with Celebrity reading these forums.

As an employee with Celebrity, I am happy to answer your questions and provide a more accurate depiction of what one might expect on a cruise.

I know someone has posted something similar to this already, but as I still work for Celebrity, I am more up to date on the Celebrity Cruise experience.

Any Questions?

YES, MY HUSBAND IS A MUSICIAN AND MAYBE WORKING ON ONE OF THE PRINCESS CRUISELINES WITH A VOCALIST AND TWO OTHER MUSICIANS FOR, THREE TO FOUR MONTHS. I WANT TO KNOW IF WIVES ARE ALLOWED TO CRUISE WITH THEIR HUSBANDS?:confused:

Yes, all the X ships have the blue and white hull

Ah, so it does look like the infinity. I have a question for you...I notice that your signature mentions a couple of carnival ships in it. What would you say are the differences between Carnival and celebrity. Which one do you like better and why? Does the service and cleanliness compare?

thanks

To be honest, I am not sure about the beer. It might cause some problems when your bags are X Rayed. I would recommend to bring the wine and leave the beer at home, as the ship has a number of reasonably priced brands of beer. They also offer a discount, if you buy 4 beers you get one free.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

how do you get 5th beer free? Do you buy a card or something

Thanks

I agree with you on accepting one, you have to accept them all. Only I wasn't speaking of the Fun Factory staff accepting and caring for my 2 year old. I just want to be able to take her there for 1/2 hour to play. The rules say she can't even go in there.

I worked for the school district in Early learning center and this might be the reasons

1) child to adult ratio ...the younger the child the more staff you need

2) visitors in early learning centers, not related to enrolled student is not permitted as they have no background checks,

3) insurance matters ...X lawyers might only have approved the age group 3 and over as problems or lawsuits might have come up

hope this helps

Plumeria

• 2 months later...

I'm in Korea teaching English right now, before I signed a contract to come here I was looking for a job on a cruise line. I even went as far to pay a company that "guarnteed me a job." The Korea thing came up and I went with it. Now my contract is almost finished here I would love to get a job in the cruise industry. I have tons of experience dealing with the public, I'm outgoing, personable and hard working any advice how to get hired? Also my 19 year old brother wants in too, is that possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived