Question for non-British passengers

bazzaw

What currency does P&O UK charge to your credit card , in payment of your onboard account.?

There has been much discussion elsewhere about the practice of Princess cruiseline regarding this matter. The onboard costs are in USD - but, it appears that Princess do their own currency conversion onboard and charge your CC in whatever your "native" currency is. The problem being that the exchange rate that Princess uses is an old disadvantageous one - not the current rate. Whereas if they were to charge the CC is USD, then the conversion would be made by the banking system at the rate of the day.

This has meant that Australian and British passengers with Princess have been disadvantaged.

Thanks for any advice- we will be on Oriana and Arcadias world cruise and expect to spend quite a bit on shore tours, etc - so don't want P&O to apply whatever exchange rate suits them to my CC.

Barry

Hi Barry;

For absolute certainty, you would need to contact P&O for confirmation; but my understanding is that ALL on-board transactions worldwide are in Pounds Sterling; your account will be compiled in Pounds Sterling, and they will charge Pounds Sterling to your designated card.

Whenever I have been offered 'local currency' charging in the past (from any source) I ALWAYS decline! You'll get a MUCH better rate accepting your bank's dynamic exchange-rate than you will if you opt for 'local currency' charging from the source vendor.

Hope that helps....

We found the same in Portugal. Paul bought two golf shirts, both the same price, one went through the till as euros and one went through as sterling. The one charged in sterling cost us less on the credit card bill.

Carol x

We found the same in Portugal. Paul bought two golf shirts, both the same price, one went through the till as euros and one went through as sterling. The one charged in sterling cost us less on the credit card bill.

Carol x

Carol, that's the opposite of what I would expect, most overseas banks providing shops with credit card payment facilities normally add a higher exchange rate charge than your card issuer would if the euro was converted by them.

You need to consider getting a better credit card, eg Nationwide, Saga etc. who give you a much better exchange rate than the normal companies.

Thank you for the replies

There has been MUCH discussion of this over on the P&O Australia forum in the past 24 hours. Apparently it is called "Dynamic Currency Conversion" and is to be avoided. The vendor is supposed to ask you if you want your CC charged in the local currency or your own native currency ( as per where your CC was issued. ) If you unwittingly say that you want it charged in your own native currency, they will put on an extra charge for their "conversion". They are supposed to show you what the conversion is , exchange rate , etc - plus details of the conversion charge - and it is definitely a way for the vendors to make more money. Also the exchange rate applied during the conversion may be a bit "questionable"

Google it - very interesting.

Barry

Archived