BP started Top Kill Procedure on Wednesday

and so far, so good. Still too early to tell how successful it will be, but is going according to plan.

"By the end of the day, the company had pumped about 7,000 barrels of mud into the well at up to 65 barrels per minute, Doug Suttles, BP's chief operating officer said."

I think everyone is anxious to hear how its going. Im hoping they know this afternoon, by 5 pm anyway.

I saw something on CNN where they showed a larger freighter in a washing station in Mobile Bay and it broke my heart. There was NO OIL in the bay, and this ship comes in and they are showing it being washed ... and the oil is being washed off the ship right into the waters of the bay :( Everyone is objecting to washing the oil off right into the clean waters of the bay.

I think everyone is anxious to hear how its going. Im hoping they know this afternoon, by 5 pm anyway.

I saw something on CNN where they showed a larger freighter in a washing station in Mobile Bay and it broke my heart. There was NO OIL in the bay, and this ship comes in and they are showing it being washed ... and the oil is being washed off the ship right into the waters of the bay :( Everyone is objecting to washing the oil off right into the clean waters of the bay.

They usually place booms around the ship to contain whatever washes off.

That is just not right. They should be washing them down before they come in. Hopefully someone will make a big enough stink over the process to get it stopped.:mad:

That is just not right. They should be washing them down before they come in. Hopefully someone will make a big enough stink over the process to get it stopped.:mad:

Why is it not right? Are there precautions in place? Is it best to do it there where it ais a controlled environment or out in the ocean where it is more difficult?

Hopefully no one makes a big stink over the process until they know all the details.

Why is it not right? Are there precautions in place? Is it best to do it there where it ais a controlled environment or out in the ocean where it is more difficult?

Hopefully no one makes a big stink over the process until they know all the details.

If you have to ask, you obviously don't live anywhere near Mobile Bay.

They usually place booms around the ship to contain whatever washes off.

They do and did have booms.

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/gulf_oil_spill/fishermen-angry-with-oiled-ship-in-bay

"Jimmy Lyons, with the Alabama State Docks, says the ship was decontaminated and cleared offshore before it was brought in. And the residue that's being washed off now is contained by boom."

as for dead fish, I imagine 200 degree water at 2,000psi would cooked a few.

Louisiana does have offshore cleaning stations as well as stations in the river.

It was a whole segment showing all the people who make their living from the water. Vacation homes, they even showed a guy who takes people out in a boat to watch the dolphins.

They dont want the oily water in the bay for obvious reasons. Sure they said they have booms around the washing stations, but that only stops surface spread of the oil.

Can you really blame the locals who live from the water from objecting to washing oil off right near shore? I'm sure they are thinking oil can get thru below the water, not just on top.

I have not been following this as closely as I should be. Won't filling the hole with cement and debris just cause the oil pressure to build up until it breaks through the top? Is this a temporary solution?

I have not been following this as closely as I should be. Won't filling the hole with cement and debris just cause the oil pressure to build up until it breaks through the top? Is this a temporary solution?

It is a temporary solution. The weight of the mud column will be greater than the pressure from the oil and gas. Once they decide it is stable, they will cement it.

They still need to complete the relief wells for a permanent solution.

They dont want the oily water in the bay for obvious reasons. Sure they said they have booms around the washing stations, but that only stops surface spread of the oil.

Can you really blame the locals who live from the water from objecting to washing oil off right near shore? I'm sure they are thinking oil can get thru below the water, not just on top.

I would think the locals that live on and make a living from the bay would know that it's much more difficult to complete such a procedure in the open ocean than in the calmer waters of the bay.

That said, I still understand why the locals are pissed. BP is using a highly toxic chemical dispersant that is keeping the oil from sitting on the surface of the water.

The new NOAA hurricane forecast predicts a number of storms. If it is accurate and some of the storms are in the Gulf, that could certainly disperse the oil into oblivion.

http://www.examiner.com/x-25803-Natural-Disasters-Examiner~y2010m5d27-NOAA-releases-2010-hurricane-forecast--Extremely-active-season-possible

I was just watching the Presidents press conference on TV. Behind him was the actual live feed from the spot that is leaking. It does not look like it has slowed down very much to me, much less stopped. Sorry for my earlier post reporting that it had stopped. I am now going into to rehab to redeem myself.:o

I was just watching the Presidents press conference on TV. Behind him was the actual live feed from the spot that is leaking. It does not look like it has slowed down very much to me, much less stopped. Sorry for my earlier post reporting that it had stopped. I am now going into to rehab to redeem myself.:o

That is mud you see flowing although I suppose there could be some oil or gas in there. They have used up at least one ship load of the stuff, with more on the way.

There is a risk they could blow the whole thing apart if they try to pump too much too quickly, but it is working. The job still isn't done, however.

Archived